True, true airspeed on a C-180?

DKirkpatrick

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
DKirkpatrick
Hello. I know there's a ton of variables like how good of a pilot you may be... but what is a real TAS for a Cessna 180, with an O-470R? And I know the airplane's designed to be a hauler, etc., but want to just know a good planning speed for a three hour flight, 7000' average?
thanks for the coaching in advance.
dan

There probably is a chart in the paper wheel chock behind the seat, but I’d say it probably cruises 130-140 KTAS and burns 13-14 GPH.

Hello. I know there's a ton of variables like how good of a pilot you may be... but what is a real TAS for a Cessna 180, with an O-470R? And I know the airplane's designed to be a hauler, etc., but want to just know a good planning speed for a three hour flight, 7000' average?
thanks for the coaching in advance.
dan
Depends on tires and mods. My stock 180 with O470R on 8.00's cruises at 135KTAS and burns 12GPH

Hard to imagine its much over 150mph / 130kts.

I run 18", 2300 rpm I get about 143MPH true from 8000' and up'. But, I have 29" bushwheels. With 8.50's I was doing 153mph at the same settings. Burning 10.8 to 11.2 gph. I run it lean at those power settings.

I fly low. 140-145 mph with 29” mains and BBW tailwheel. On 800s and an 8” tailwheel I saw 185mph at 1000’ MSL. I have a Pponk and 86” 3-blade. It’s been too long since I had a 470. No memory.

Thans for the replies. I appreciate the help

Last edited:
Hard to imagine its much over 150mph / 130kts.
Why are you trying to (incorrectly) imagine, when several people in the thread *with* the exact airplane being asked about have answered?

I fly a stock O470 182. It has that little nose wheel thingy and often you guys have those big main gear thingies. Airframes and weights aren't all that different. Ours, rigged pretty nice now, does a bit over 150MPH true. But the OP is free to disregard my answer. If it really bugs you that much I can remove my answer just let me know.

I fly a stock O470 182. It has that little nose wheel thingy and often you guys have those big main gear thingies. Airframes and weights aren't all that different. Ours, rigged pretty nice now, does a bit over 150MPH true. But the OP is free to disregard my answer. If it really bugs you that much I can remove my answer just let me know.
Depending on year, the 182 has a wider cabin, isn't fast back, and has a big nosewheel in the high pressure area adjacent to the prop. Just striving for accuracy, not guesses.

Last edited:
I’ve had my 180 for 26 years. Speed was never a priority but when I fly my Cub it sure makes me appreciate it. My Cessna experience is that aft CG promotes faster cruise. And for landing or taking off short a central CG is better. IMG_0022.jpeg

Back