True Grit

sba55

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
sba55
Has anyone seen it? What did you think?

I just saw it for the 2nd time. This remake is incredible...

Took the family the week it came out. We all really liked it. In some ways the first is better, but overall, I liked the 2nd version better. It wasn't so much a remake of the first movie, it was another version of the original story.

I've seen the first one so many times, I pretty much have all the lines memorized - and many of the lines in the 2nd movie were word-for-word.

I did find the book that both movies were based on - it's interesting to see where each of the movie versions followed the book and which parts they each had to leave out.

The Duke's True Grit is one of my favorite movies. I'm hesitant to see the remake for fear I may be doing too much compare/contrast.

But I've heard of a lot of great reviews. I may have to go see it.

Really great movie. The Cohen brothers do it again. The first was far more emotional, especially playing up the relationship between Cogburn (the John Wayne character) and the young female heroine. The second is far more clinical, but with far superior performances form all the players. The first was a fairly standard and formulaic (though extremely well-done) Hollywood Western, the second a Cohen vehicle that happens to take place in the West.

saw it over christmas break, awesome movie

The Duke's True Grit is one of my favorite movies. I'm hesitant to see the remake for fear I may be doing too much compare/contrast.

But I've heard of a lot of great reviews. I may have to go see it.

I generally dislike the pathetic trend in Hollywood, to do re-makes rather than create something original, because the re-makes are never worthy successors.

That said, I have to proclaim that the new True Grit is not really a re-make - it's a different approach to the same story, and it was absolutely outstanding. Bridges was masterful in the role, and I recommend the film.

I really liked it. I thought Jeff Bridges made a better old drunk than the Duke, most likely because John Wayne already established himself in his traditional role before True Grit came along. I read that the recent True Grit held more true to the original book.
The Cohen Bro's trademark dialog was somewhat difficult to listen to early on, but I got used to it somewhere along the way.

I liked it too. Kevin and I went to see it the night before my CFI checkride! And, there were bits of the dialog that I kinda missed due to the way they spoke but I filled it in. I thought the young woman who played Mattie did a really good job. I'd hate to have to negotiate a business deal w/ that child.

Fran says that's what she wants for Valentine's Day -- dinner and a "True Grit" movie (and no flowers:dunno:). Glad to hear it's worth seeing, although after "Country Heart," I think Jeff Bridges' talents in this direction are better established than any prior work he's done. And any way you look at it, Matt Damon's got to be better as LeBoeuf than Glen Campbell.

Pretty much everyone else said what I would've. Good movie. I'm not particularly fond of westerns in general, but True Grit was most definitely worth seeing.

Loved both the original and the remake, in different ways.

It's rare that Hollywood makes a western, and even more rare when they do it right.

Back