TRUE 4 place a/c...

sierra

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
sierra
maybe the q should be... where does one find four "true weight" adult pilots?

Ah, france. there ya go.

Only the south of France and Pa-ree. Go over toward Alsace and you'll find some that could be German fraus.

Note that in the aftermath of the accident involving an overloaded regionial airliner at Charlotte a couple years back, the FAA revised upward by 10 lb the "average" weight to be used for passengers. Seems to me that if you're looking to carry four adult American males, you need to figure at least 180 lb each these days, especially when dressed. I weigh in right about 160 dripping wet, and probably tack on over 5 lb when dressed with my pockets and belt loaded (PDA, cell phone, leatherman, etc.) -- and most folks consider me a little guy. Add to that the evergrowing nav bag (not just charts, but headsets, calculators, handheld radios, etc) of maybe 15-20 lb. That means we're talking at least 750 lb cabin load for a true 4-adult-male plane these days. It's got to the point that no plane with less than a 1000-lb useful load is even worth considering for something like that, and that doesn't include golf clubs.

I flew a Wings flight a few weeks ago and all 3 of us were well over the standard pilot weight; one at 240, one at 210 and one at 200 ... and I think we all looked somewhat "average" ...

Back