Truck Aux lights - the project from hell

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
Why... why do they always have to go so wrong?

Today was, "Hey it warmed up to 50F, let's swap the dead halogen auxiliary backup and trailer hitching lights on the back bumper of the dually for those nifty LED light bars I caught on huge sale at Amazon on Black Friday..."

Knowns:

The halogens worked when I bought the truck but one died than then the other.

The former owner wanted a nice installation so he bought a fancy remote switch that is mounted above the gearshift in the flat up there and has a red/green LED and toggles the voltage to a relay in the engine compartment that actually switches those lights. The switch works, and the relay thumps. All good there.

The former owner did wiring harnesses right and they're all wire loomed everywhere, in the engine compartment, all under the truck, and all the way back to the lights, but he had lots of "other" stuff on this truck that was removed and those wire looms are also under there and some are very neatly looped up and tie wrapped off. Very neat but also very tough to tell what's what and all weatherproofed and tied up tightly to the frame.

The job:

Swap the halogens for the LEDs. Simple.

The reality:

Karen's truck is in garage. Notice she's collected a huge pile of leaves in the back forward of the board that segments her truck bed. Remove her stuff, remove board, get electric leaf blower, blow wet leaves out of truck bed. Put other stuff back. Back her truck outside.

Back my truck into garage. Garage floor is wet and muddy from Karen's truck. Sweep out mud from Karen's truck. Get blue tarp to lie on. Okay.

Grab some wrenches and sockets. Go to take the existing lights off. Nut seems to turn but not loosening. Lots of corrosion. Wait a second. This feels like the other end is spinning.

Look over the existing mounts. Realize that if there's a bolt head in there, there's no way to get to it. Think about it for a minute and then realize these lights are being thrown out anyway.

Kick light. Hard. Mount breaks off cleanly and perfectly to reveal a rusty carriage bolt with a flat head. Nothing to grip.

Cuss the dumbass who used this bolt while kicking the other light harder just because I'm mad now. It pops off cleanly and same thing.

Fine. Go get Dremel and set it up with a cutting wheel. Pry remaining plastic from the old mount off of under the bolt so it drops down a bit and start cutting. Bolts cut off. Thrown out. Lights thrown out. Wiring snipped.

Okay let's mount these new ones. Brain says "Better measure and see if they'll go where you want them." They have two-bolt mounts not one but maybe I can adjust the mounts on top of them to put them where I want them. Fiddle with them. "No that looks stupid."

Notice two smaller holes already drilled in bumper inboard of previous light mounts. Not big enough but in the right place. Well that helps.

Measure. They're even. Okay we will use those and make them bigger and drill two more outboard.

Fine. Go get grandpa's old badass drill. The one with the lost chuck. Go find drill bits for steel. Do the stick a bit in the hole and pry with a flat head screwdriver trick to get the bit set because I always forget to buy a universal chuck. And who cares? This works.

Realize the bit will wander on the new holes. Go find punch and hammer to dimple bumper. Measuring tape again. Mark where I want dimple. Wale on punch.

Forgot two tons of dried mud will now rain down on face. Close eyes and wait. All good. Okay we know that for the next one. Oh yeah, it's steel. Hardly a dimple at all but it'll work. Do the second one. Okay fine.

Grab drill. Drill out inside holes. Drill new outside holes.

Fiddle with brackets and mounting hardware for twenty minutes while walking back and forth to get different sized sockets because you know, using the same sized bolts on all of those little parts to mount the LEDs would make life easier and they don't want that. Even have to get the Allen keys for one of the adjustments. Sheesh.

Okay lights mounted. Looks halfway decent like I actually knew what I was doing. Cool. Only took four decades to get that right.

Strip old wires back a little. Decide this hasn't been going well, I had better test. Go get mutimeter and wife. Tell wife to flip switch in cab while I measure. Nothing. No voltage on either pair of wires.

Cuss. Loudly. So THATs why halogen number two went "dead". It wasn't dead, it wasn't getting power. Oh well. Hated how they looked anyway.

Tell wife thanks. She goes inside.

Try to trace wiring back. Wire looms are everywhere and tie wrapped together. I KNOW what I'm really going to have to do is cut all of these down, remove all the unused wiring, and then trace these light wires all the way to that friggin relay under the hood and find the break. Or just run new wiring for the lights altogether.

Do some more poking around under the hood where the relay is. Find more coiled up and terminated wire looms blocking access to the relay socket. Realize that all needs to come out, too.

Remember that while I'm in there, because I see it sitting there, taped off, that the Dodge dealership also disconnected my wiring to the Bosch fuel pump from the aftermarket computer for tuning fuel injection. Add that to the growing "wiring day" list of things to fix.

Also remember that my fuel pressure gauge was accidentally disconnected somewhere during the head gasket job and wasn't reconnected. Yeah, add that to the "wiring fix" list.

Sun is now setting. Temps are going to drop 30 degrees.

Wrap wires up around light brackets and call it a day. This is going to take many more hours some other day. I created the "truck electrical day from hell" to-do list item.

And all I wanted to do was swap two lamps for two others. Ha. I knew I should have just gone flying instead.

The ironic thing is if an auto mechanic quoted you $200 to change those lights, everybody would cry highway robbery.

Last edited:
The ironic thing is if a auto mechanic quoted you $200 to change those lights, everybody would cry highway robbery.

LOL. Oh I know how hard my mechanics work. But I also know they'd NEVER touch a custom wiring harness like this one, either.

If you asked my Dodge guy to do this, first thing he'd do is test the existing lights. If they didn't come on, the quote would be for an all new wiring harness he would install, all the hours to pull out the other one, and he'd throw in the hour to mount the lights for free. Because it'd be quoted as two days worth of work. Then he'd give it to one of the underlings and make them learn.

Difference is, between him and a lot of shops, he'd show you exactly why before he handed you the contract to sign. It wouldn't be a mystery what he'd have to do. If he has to drag you out to the shop and point at things, he will. Most shops won't bring customers back anywhere near where the "magic" happens. ;)

But this is stuff I can do. It's just time consuming. It's not difficult. I'll save him the headache and use him for the stuff I can't do, the stuff that requires a lift. I really hate putting the dually up on jacks and jack stands and cribbing. Just isn't safe.

If I ever go fiscally insane and decide to build the barn I want out here, a lift beefy enough to lift the dually, isn't going to be optional.

Of course, once you start doing your own drivetrain and suspension work -- that's when the cussing really takes off in earnest. Ha.

The ironic thing is if a auto mechanic quoted you $200 to change those lights, everybody would cry highway robbery.

Drop that figure to $20 and you'd have the aviation equivalent...

LOL. Oh I know how hard my mechanics work. But I also know they'd NEVER touch a custom wiring harness like this one, either.

If you asked my Dodge guy to do this, first thing he'd do is test the existing lights. If they didn't come on, the quote would be for an all new wiring harness he would install, all the hours to pull out the other one, and he'd throw in the hour to mount the lights for free. Because it'd be quoted as two days worth of work. Then he'd give it to one of the underlings and make them learn.

Difference is, between him and a lot of shops, he'd show you exactly why before he handed you the contract to sign. It wouldn't be a mystery what he'd have to do. If he has to drag you out to the shop and point at things, he will. Most shops won't bring customers back anywhere near where the "magic" happens. ;)

But this is stuff I can do. It's just time consuming. It's not difficult. I'll save him the headache and use him for the stuff I can't do, the stuff that requires a lift. I really hate putting the dually up on jacks and jack stands and cribbing. Just isn't safe.

If I ever go fiscally insane and decide to build the barn I want out here, a lift beefy enough to lift the dually, isn't going to be optional.

Of course, once you start doing your own drivetrain and suspension work -- that's when the cussing really takes off in earnest. Ha.

You missed the part about taking an extra hour in the shop to oooh and ahhh over the 5.9 Cummins into the Dodge 1500 shop truck build, the carbon fiber hood, the body wrap, the continuing saga of dual or triple turbos, latest test of compound wheels in the last turbo test bed, the last cool discovery on injector builds, oh, and by the way, really need to swap out that Bully Dog box that's been misbehaving, and let's build up a couple EFI Live programs for you for goofing off and for towing, oh, and swap some flying stories ... my wife knows to allot me an extra hour or two when I'm off for a "quick stop at the shop". :)

Don't forget you need to do a new W&B for that truck when you are done. Sounds like it will be a lot lighter. LOL

You missed the part about taking an extra hour in the shop to oooh and ahhh over the 5.9 Cummins into the Dodge 1500 shop truck build, the carbon fiber hood, the body wrap, the continuing saga of dual or triple turbos, latest test of compound wheels in the last turbo test bed, the last cool discovery on injector builds, oh, and by the way, really need to swap out that Bully Dog box that's been misbehaving, and let's build up a couple EFI Live programs for you for goofing off and for towing, oh, and swap some flying stories ... my wife knows to allot me an extra hour or two when I'm off for a "quick stop at the shop". :)

I love that shop! So glad you referred me to them! LOL. Wish I lived closer. I want to go see the toys more often! Haha.

You mean like the time I split a 1 1/8 deep socket neatly in half with a Ford spring nut and six foot cheater pipe?

Or the time I figured out how people really get GM sintered transmission bushings out. Press and bearing splitter, my ass. All it really takes is one good hit from a chisel.

You can do a lot of suspension work on jackstands, but you have to make it real secure.

I'll take 5 hours of drivetrain and suspension work over 1 hour of body/paint work. I guess just don't have the touch.

It took me over 30 minutes to replace a headlight bulb on an '07 GMC because some a-hole GM engineer decided to block access to the headlight housing with a plastic washer fluid filler neck. Not the bottle, just the filler neck to the bottle. So you have to remove an auxiliary battery tray with 6+ bolts, loosen the filler neck/washer fluid bottle through the wheel well liner, to gain enough space to fit a light bulb though. I'd love to meet the team of engineers that designed such a horrid layout which blocked a normal maintenance item.

Chasing electrical gremlins is second on my list of automotive pet peeves behind trying to do normal repairs made more difficult by terrible engineering design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It took me over 30 minutes to replace a headlight bulb on an '07 GMC because some a-hole GM engineer decided to block access to the headlight housing with a plastic washer fluid filler neck. Not the bottle, just the filler neck to the bottle. So you have to remove an auxiliary battery tray with 6+ bolts, loosen the filler neck/washer fluid bottle through the wheel well liner, enough space to fit a light bulb though. I'd love to meet the team of engineers that designed such a horrid layout which blocked a normal maintenance item.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They were slaves to the marketing team which said "Here's the box the vehicle needs to fit into, and oh, by the way, you MUST use a headlight shaped exactly like *this*."

"But it'll be hard to change a lightbulb."

"Do you think anyone buying a car asks how hard it will be to change a lightbulb?"

Back