TRSA questions

shenanigans

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Shen
I've been looking at sectionals for an upcoming flight and I see KRFD has a TRSA. I've never come across one before. I read the part in the AIM about it and that tells me what it is, but I'm still unclear about how to use it. Can I just treat the area the same as a class D with approach control, or is there something different I need to do? When I'm departing will tower hand me off to them automatically, or do I need to ask?

Oh, and i assume I would call them "Rockford Approach", but is TRSA pronounced like 'tersa' or are the letters spelled out?

I've been looking at sectionals for an upcoming flight and I see KRFD has a TRSA. I've never come across one before. I read the part in the AIM about it and that tells me what it is, but I'm still unclear about how to use it. Can I just treat the area the same as a class D with approach control, or is there something different I need to do? When I'm departing will tower hand me off to them automatically, or do I need to ask?

Oh, and i assume I would call them "Rockford Approach", but is TRSA pronounced like 'tersa' or are the letters spelled out?

Your description is pretty much spot on. A TRSA is essentially a Class D airport with a TRACON. You are not required to contact approach to enter, but it is recommended that you do (they will provide traffic advisories workload permitting).

Depending on the airport and local procedures, you may need to request a squawk code for VFR advisories from clearance or they may just assign a squawk code to all aircraft. Usually the ATIS will advertise VFR aircraft to contact clearance to obtain a squawk code for VFR advisories in that case.

To answer your last question, yes. "Rockford Approach"

Hope this helps.

Jason hit the highligts. The tower at KRFD will really appreciate it if you actually use the TRSA. Treat it like you would when you enter Class C. Call them on the correct frequency and their callsign is Rockford Approach. The guys there are really nice and work lots of GA. Most of us in the area have to use them to shoot approaches as the TRACON in the Chicago area rarely has the bandwidth to handle practice approaches.

Jason hit the highligts. The tower at KRFD will really appreciate it if you actually use the TRSA. Treat it like you would when you enter Class C. Call them on the correct frequency and their callsign is Rockford Approach. The guys there are really nice and work lots of GA. Most of us in the area have to use them to shoot approaches as the TRACON in the Chicago area rarely has the bandwidth to handle practice approaches.

Bingo...I pretty much treat TRSA's as Class C.

I know they're optional, but the service is there so I see no reason not to use it...if someone else doesn't want to use it, that's their business.

Bingo...I pretty much treat TRSA's as Class C.

I know they're optional, but the service is there so I see no reason not to use it...if someone else doesn't want to use it, that's their business.

Plus, its been my experience that if you don't contac Approach, they can take their time letting you enter or how they sequence you. They don't like being snubbed, even if it is legal.

Plus, its been my experience that if you don't contac Approach, they can take their time letting you enter or how they sequence you. They don't like being snubbed, even if it is legal.

Do many people decline TRSA service when arriving? I mean, I might consider it if my course just clipped the corner, but I get lonely and like talking to controllers on the radio anyway!

You ain't kiddin.

I think the Harrisburg TRSA takes special pleasure in vectoring me all over Dauphin or York county each time I fly in and out of Lancaster.

I like to jest call the tower "on a 5-mile final". Keeps 'em on their toes. :wink2:

I've never inquired but it appears that - at least in Fairbanks - the same controllers are ACTUALLY a TRACON for IFR services not just LIKE one, in addition to providing TRSA services.

They may not be listed as such but all traffic is handed off from center.

Plenty of people grumble grumble about it here? Are there reasons to be unhappy about a TRSA?

All the TRSAs around here (MKG, MBS, AZO) all handle enroute IFR traffic. So does Harrisburg in PA.

I asked my DPE pretty much the same question about the Rockford TRSA. It was during my oral exam for a PPL, and after he asked me all of his questions about charts he wanted to know if I had any. So I pointed to this TRSA on the sectional chart, and I asked him what I must do when I fly through the airspace.

He didn't know.

I like the description of optional Class C procedures but mandatory Class D procedures

I asked my DPE pretty much the same question about the Rockford TRSA. It was during my oral exam for a PPL, and after he asked me all of his questions about charts he wanted to know if I had any. So I pointed to this TRSA on the sectional chart, and I asked him what I must do when I fly through the airspace.

He didn't know.

Must do? Comply with the requirements of the actual class of airspace in which you find yourself or are about to enter. See and avoid.

Can do? Avail yourself of approach or departure services.

In theory, a TRSA is sort of a voluntary Class C -- the procedures are all the same, but in theory you can ignore them and just call the tower before entering their D-space -- in theory. In reality, at some airports, it's like the Army -- which cannot make you do anything, but can indeed make you wish to God you had. Harrisburg is one such, where if you call Harrisburg Tower seven miles out for landing, they're likely to make you #19 to land behind every other plane already talking to Harrisburg Approach. My practics is where there's a TRSA, and I'm going to the main airport, I play their game -- saves time, hassle, and avgas.

When I'm departing will tower hand me off to them automatically, or do I need to ask?

Tower will tell you to contact departure. Departures are assumed to want TRSA services unless specifically declined.

Thanks everyone for the answers. I figured it would be pretty simple, but i wanted to make sure i was't going to screw anything up with bad assumptions.

Tower will tell you to contact departure. Departures are assumed to want TRSA services unless specifically declined.

Interesting, I remember reading that is the procedure but my experience here is the opposite. If I don't affirmatively request a TRSA departure I will not be given a distinct transponder code nor will I be handed off to departure after takeoff. Exactly as any regular class D departure.

We are very successful in contacting the tower directly when approaching VFR and I have never been asked to contact approach, squawk a code, etc.

FAI is not exactly a sleepy airport - especially in the summer or when military aircraft are training - but it probably doesn't hold a candle to Harrisburg's volume.

It's been a little while since I've been into any lower 48 TRSAs.

I call em "Approach" or "Departure" when contacting them.. and while it may be voluntary, the tower at Beaumont Regional will instruct you to contact approach if you are inbound, even if you are popping up inbound from Beaumont Muni less than 10 miles away

The guys there are really nice and work lots of GA.

Wow, Scott, if they're your definition of "nice" I gotta wonder what a Chicagoan considers surly.:confused:

I flew through their airspace one or twice a week for over a year when I was working in Wisconsin and found them to be some of the rudest I've ever experienced. They were seldom rude to me since I was just passing through and have pretty good radio skills since I fly a lot in the system but I listened to them being absolutely brutal to other pilots on more occasions than I could ever begin to count.

I had many descriptive words for them at the time. Nice wasn't one of them. :cheerswine:

Wow, Scott, if they're your definition of "nice" I gotta wonder what a Chicagoan considers surly.:confused:

I flew through their airspace one or twice a week for over a year when I was working in Wisconsin and found them to be some of the rudest I've ever experienced. They were seldom rude to me since I was just passing through and have pretty good radio skills since I fly a lot in the system but I listened to them being absolutely brutal to other pilots on more occasions than I could ever begin to count.

I had many descriptive words for them at the time. Nice wasn't one of them. :cheerswine:

For a Chicagoan, "nice" means "at least answers the radio." :rofl:

Interesting, I remember reading that is the procedure but my experience here is the opposite. If I don't affirmatively request a TRSA departure I will not be given a distinct transponder code nor will I be handed off to departure after takeoff. Exactly as any regular class D departure.

Order JO 7110.65 Air Traffic Control tells controllers, "Departing aircraft are assumed to want TRSA service unless the pilot states, 'negative TRSA service', or makes a similar comment." See para 7-7-7.

Last edited:
Back