Troubleshoot

Emilee

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Em
Running a Cessna 150. Trying to figure out why prop is kicking back during start up. Both slick mags are timed perfectly internal and external. Ignition switch had correct continuity to both mag P-leads. Took mags off found metal shavings where mag drive gears sit. Can’t figure out why prop is kicking back and engine won’t fire up

I came here from the chat.

One frequent problem with the C200 mags is the mechanic sets the mags to the correct lead for the C 300, 6 cylinder.

I no longer have the service manuals, but I think the difference is 6 degrees more advance on the C 300.

With the excess advance, the engine will kick back and resist starting. If successfully started, the engine will rock so violently that the exhaust stacks will hit the sides of the cowling.

Separately, those metal chips must be researched before trying to start again.

Are mags on? Can you start on 1 mag?

You could jump p-lead to ground to check if both do it.

I impulse coupling may not be engaging and results in weak, advanced spark.

Flyweights may be worn and hitting stop pin which results in metal.

Missing flyweight spring or magnetized flyweights will also cause kickback.

Are shavings ferrous ?

I came here from the chat.

One frequent problem with the C200 mags is the mechanic sets the mags to the correct lead for the C 300, 6 cylinder.

I no longer have the service manuals, but I think the difference is 6 degrees more advance on the C 300.

With the excess advance, the engine will kick back and resist starting. If successfully started, the engine will rock so violently that the exhaust stacks will hit the sides of the cowling.

Separately, those metal chips must be researched before trying to start again.
I ended up figuring it out

If the impulse coupler pawl doesn't catch the flyweight this will happen. I know OP said he figured it out but I'm just tossing in this caution that if it continues to happen you'll be buying a new starter clutch that will set you back, oh probably about three Franklins I'd guess and that's just for the part.

And if the heel of the flyweight hits the pin instead you have the same kickback

PLUS the metal it’s making can lead to an overhaul.

Back