trouble shooting a vor/cdi

Jon Gunther

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jon Gunther
Hello all, I am trying to figure out what is going on with my nav 1 radio. I have a kx 170b that is connected to a ki-214 cdi for com/nav 1. I have a mac-1700 with a ki-208 for my com/nav 2. When tuning the same vor with both radios I can hear the ident on nav2 but not on nav1. When comparing both indicators they are out of tolerance with each other (I don't remember how much off hand). when performing a localizer approach we found that nav2 was right on the runway where nav1 was not so we have determined the issue is dealing with nav1.

I would like to rule out the cdi, can I swap the two cdi's and see if the problem fallows?

I'm suspecting it is the kx-170b that has the problem, we have not tested the glideslope portion of the 214 yet. the com side works great.

I have seen cases where removing and reinstalling a KX170B fixed the problem. I have also seen cases where removing and reinstalling killed the box. I wouldn’t spend much energy on a KX170B.

It is easy to adjust the CDI. Find a VOT station and remove the upper left mounting screw to the KI. Behind the mounting screw is an adjustment screw. You need a long screw driver. I made one from a coat hanger and a file. With the VOT tuned in and the CDI on 360 and/or 180 turn the adjustment to center the needle.

It is easy to adjust the CDI. Find a VOT station and remove the upper left mounting screw to the KI. Behind the mounting screw is an adjustment screw. You need a long screw driver. I made one from a coat hanger and a file. With the VOT tuned in and the CDI on 360 and/or 180 turn the adjustment to center the needle.

If one flys IFR, sounds like advice that could get you killed.

Back