Trouble replacing printer with same model

buzzard86

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim R
My HP1012 laser jet printer crapped out on me... pickups started mangling the paper.

I got another one (used, exact same model) but can't get it to print on either of the local machines on which my old 1012 was installed. The printer will print a test page fine (using the button on the printer) and Windows XP recognizes it when the USB cable is connected, but whenever I try to send a print job I get an error. Tried on my desktop and laptop, both of which had the 1012 installed as a local printer. Same error on both.

Does the printer have some unique identifier that makes it not possible to simply swap one for another of the same make/model? If so, what's the fix, remove and reinstall?

Thanks.

Jim

My HP1012 laser jet printer crapped out on me... pickups started mangling the paper.

I got another one (used, exact same model) but can't get it to print on either of the local machines on which my old 1012 was installed. The printer will print a test page fine (using the button on the printer) and Windows XP recognizes it when the USB cable is connected, but whenever I try to send a print job I get an error. Tried on my desktop and laptop, both of which had the 1012 installed as a local printer. Same error on both.

Does the printer have some unique identifier that makes it not possible to simply swap one for another of the same make/model? If so, what's the fix, remove and reinstall?

Thanks.

Jim
I have a HP 1012 and it wouldn't surprise me if there were different drivers for different versions of this printer. I suggest you download the latest version of the driver and re-install. What does the error say? It could be that the problem on the previous printer is causing the current error. It's also possible that the USB interface does have a unique ID, I've seen other USB products that behaved that way.

The pop up error I'm getting just says that the 'Local Downlevel Document' failed to print. The troubleshooter was no help.

I'm under the impression that the 1012 that I'm replacing mine with is an identical unit. The replacement belonged to my late father and was purchased at the same time as mine... that's why I had the spare printer.

I guess my next step will be to uninstall and reinstall the printer. Drivers are current so the only thing that I can think is that the printer must have a unique NIC or something similar that's causing it to be unrecognized.

Back