Trouble keeping centerline? Normal?

integra144

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
integra144
Is something wrong with me? I have about 13hrs in a 172 SP during takeoff I seem to periodically have trouble keeping my plan on centerline. I once even accidentally stepped on the wrong rudder when the plane was off center I think I got nervous. Is this normal? I am proficient at everything else. Its only take off!!!

Normal?

i see this alot. not that abnormal. usually what i see is that you are just going too darn fast. they could lift off a lot slower and not have to worry about swerving down the runway.

Yep, it just takes practice. At 13 hours don't expect your flying to be perfect. At 70 mine sure isn't, nor is it for my friends with 400+.

It's the subtleties that you pick up with time that will make those little details disappear. Don't fret if you haven't gotten them down yet. If you really want to try to address it, just go out and do a bunch of touch-and-gos, and focus on that as well as whatever landing issues you may have.

I don't see too many folks wearing off the paint on the centerline! That being said, it just takes practice and time to get close. One has to adjust for the push to one side as power is added, counter wind action, adjust for the transition from ground to airborne control, etc. I do find some folks aren't looking far enough down the runway. If one's focus is too close to where the nose is, it's much harder to keep things pointed where you want them.

Best,

Dave

Go find a NARROW runway in about 10 more hours if you are still having trouble. When I mean narrow, I mean 35 feet or less. That will keep you on the centerline. Do some high(er) speed taxiing with your CFI if a narrow runway isn't available.

And if you're still having issues after that, go train on a grass field. :D

Just as we talk our way through checklists or through the flow before takeoff, my first instructor told me to "Anticipate Right Rudder" as I slowly moved the throttle forward. That way my right rudder was moving slowly but only as much as necessary to remain pointing straight down the runway. I still say that out loud to this day, along with "Guages are Green. Airspeed Alive."

I still have a tendency to land a bit left of center, regardless of the airport. However I've landed at some quite narrow strips, including with crosswinds, and I don't worry about my ability to plant the plane on the runway. At 13 hours, though, I know my instructor was still yelling at me about landing way left of the centerline. At this point it really does tend to be a hair.

Dave makes a good point, though. When you look at the black marks on the runway, they don't tend to be perfectly on center, on the numbers. :)

Dave makes a good point, though. When you look at the black marks on the runway, they don't tend to be perfectly on center, on the numbers. :)

You're rarely going to see tire marks on the numbers, because a lot of CFIs say "aim for the numbers" or "keep the numbers at point x on your windscreen". Well, if you are coming in at Vs0 x 1.3 and you keep the numbers at point x, you've got to bleed off some speed before you touch down, as you transition to land, and you are NOT going to touch the numbers. If you want to land ON the numbers you've got to aim short of the runway.

(Applicable to light singles)

Last edited:
Sheesh...I'd be happy if my centerline problems were only on takeoff. ;)

Unless you're flying in some field dedicated to motorgliders with those weird unicycle gear setup!
Or a U-2. :goofy:

To the OP: Think about how much time you have on the runway. Not much. This will come with more practice.

I still tend to land left of center. On my recent BFR we landed to the right side on purpose, to begin to break the sight picture of landing left. At your stage, this is probably un-necessary, so aim for the middle.

-Skip

I have one student who was jerking the nose up after fixating on the airspeed. Along with it, he'd relax ailerons a bit too soon in a crosswind. I've gotten him to simply verify airspeed is alive then hold light to moderate back-pressure. It will come off on its own and you won't be hearing the horn when your airspeed suddenly drops from too high of pitch after rotation. Until it lifts, keep "driving" the plane down the centerline then transition to a crab as required after airborne.

In fact, I'm beginning to practically having them ignore or cover up the gauges on landings and takeoffs. I think if there's too much fixation on the guages they aren't paying attention to what the airplane is doing in real time.

Thanks for the replies. I was going threw what I think my problem is and it ends up being two scenarios.

1. The plane drifts to the left or right and I don't apply enough rudder and soon after you see the plan about shooting off the side and I kind of lock up or get nervous and step on the wrong pedal.

2. Or the plan drifts on its own more sharply and I give it too much rudder in the opposite directions and now where about to shoot off on the other side.

Any tips with keeping cool?

Thanks for the replies. I was going threw what I think my problem is and it ends up being two scenarios.

1. The plane drifts to the left or right and I don't apply enough rudder and soon after you see the plan about shooting off the side and I kind of lock up or get nervous and step on the wrong pedal.

2. Or the plan drifts on its own more sharply and I give it too much rudder in the opposite directions and now where about to shoot off on the other side.

Any tips with keeping cool?
I would say "Relax" but that's easier said than done. It might help to fly you to an airport with a wider runway or one with no lights and level turf on each side... just let you "play" with it and see what you're doing; allowing you the time to correct.

Ah, the ol' "tense up" scenario. Well, I'm no old pro, but I've been dealing with a similar issue as you. I've just broken double digits for my hours, and haven't done my solo yet...so take everything I say with a grain of salt (although, going through this right now may add to my credibility :)).

While I don't have this problem on takeoff, I do tend to tense up a bit on roundout and flare while landing...so I'll share my tips for relaxing. I'm confident your problems are similar to mine, so I hope this will help.

When I'm landing, I have been tensing up just over the threshold, and then overcorrecting everything. Sound familiar? Sounds like you are doing the same on takeoff. The problem is excacerbated by fixating on something...even if it is just the runway right in front of the cowling.

To overcome this, what has been working for me is literally sitting back in the seat (a more relaxed, comfortable, nonchalant postion), loosening my death grip on the yoke, and, the most important part, looking further down the runway to get the "big picture" instead of just over the cowling.

I'll bet my bottom dollar that you are looking right over the cowling and trying to follow that centerline. Think back when you were learning to drive, and you didn't have the "sight picture" for that yet either. I vividly remember driving my dad's truck on the highway with my learner's permit and trying to keep the hood at the same point along the line on the side of the road. Can you imagine driving like that now? It's very, very difficult, and I bet you are doing something similar now (I know I have been during landings).

So my advice is, sit back, relax (force yourself), and look down the runway like you are driving on the freeway (it's almost the same speed near rotation). Act like your in a 70's towncar or some other car you can really "lean" in and just lean back and relax :D. I'm sure this will go away as you get comfortable (experienced).

Good luck...and keep us updated.

Oh, I dunno about that.

BA did a pretty good job of stopping on the numbers in a 777 not too long ago...:yes:

You're rarely going to see tire marks on the numbers, because a lot of CFIs say "aim for the numbers" or "keep the numbers at point x on your windscreen". Well, if you are coming in at Vs0 x 1.3 and you keep the numbers at point x, you've got to bleed off some speed before you touch down, as you transition to land, and you are NOT going to touch the numbers. If you want to land ON the numbers you've got to aim short of the runway.

(Applicable to light singles)

When you line up...line up directly over the centerline.

Straddle that centerline like mounting a horse. Right foot over on the right side and left foot over on the left side.

You are looking straight down the centerline like aiming a rifle and looking down the barrell over the gunsight down the centerline of the runway.

Slo-o-w-w-ly add power and keep that nose pointed down the runway centerline - don't let those legs cross over. Keep the right foot on the right side and keep the left foot on the left side. If you can't do that, you're adding power to fast. Go at your own pace until you build up the sight picture and rudder-response time so that you can keep it straight with faster power applications and cross-winds.

When you line up...line up directly over the centerline.

Straddle that centerline like mounting a horse. Right foot over on the right side and left foot over on the left side.

You are looking straight down the centerline like aiming a rifle and looking down the barrell over the gunsight down the centerline of the runway.

Slo-o-w-w-ly add power and keep that nose pointed down the runway centerline - don't let those legs cross over. Keep the right foot on the right side and keep the left foot on the left side. If you can't do that, you're adding power to fast. Go at your own pace until you build up the sight picture and rudder-response time so that you can keep it straight with faster power applications and cross-winds.
That might work when you're learning...but eventually you need to learn to keep the actual nosewheel on the center. I've found that most people have problem with the centerline simply because they aren't thinking about it during the landing. Once you learn to remember the centerline you keep it there from 10 miles out all the way through touchdown without issue. A simple: "centerline, centerline, centerline" verbally during the landing usually does the job.

After I received my private I recorded all my landings and takeoffs on video. Every single one of them. After the flight I would watch the video to see what I screwed up. You really learn a lot about how you fly by doing this.

Last edited:
If you can find an airport with reflectors on the taxiway centerline, try to make the nose wheel hit them- you can both feel and her when you are doing it right. You can then see the correct "picture" from the cockpit when you are at other airports.

<SNIP>After I received my private I recorded all my landings and takeoffs on video. Every single one of them. After the flight I would watch the video to see what I screwed up. You really learn a lot about how you fly by doing this.

I heard someplace that the Navy tapes the "traps" for the same reason.

I have recorded nearly all my flights with a hand-held GPS and it was interesting to see the improvement- turns around a point, VOR tracking, how well I held course, etc.

Back