Trivia Question (non-aviation)

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
Name the event, location, date, and who/where immortalized (where I obtained it) the attached audio clip.

Hint 1: If you get the who/where immortalized, the rest should be easy
Hint 2: Many members of this board were not even born when this transpired.

Attachments

• What_Is_This.mp3
    141.2 KB · Views: 36
Heck, I can't even make out what the mob is chanting....

Ditto that and I'm excellent at deciphering muffled audios!

I get no picture and a really indistinct audio.
They could be chanting, "Hold that line!"
Why don't you maybe give a translation to start with...?

Ah, OK, the chant is "The whole world's watching".

The chant is "The whole world's watching." I assume its a recording from a protest in Chicago over Vietnam.

You guys were horrible back then.

It was in Chicago. (And a Daley was mayor).

Now what was the (in)famous event at which this occured, and the date?

Would you believe, I drove down the Outer Drive through the middle of that. I was towing a boat and couldn't take the Dan Ryan because of the boat. We saw huge crowds, but had no idea what was going on as we drove through!

I had about 15 pounds of explosives in the trunk. Was headed up to elbow lake and was going to blow some stuff up way out in the country. Pretty sure we were singing; Hey Jude as it was playing on the radio as we drove through.

Can you imagine were I would be today if I had been stopped !! (BTW, I was active duty Army at the time on leave.)

Best,

Dave

Yea Frank. I actually had a couple three pound blocks of C-4 along with a bunch of other stuff. Had just completed a top secret explosives course and brought some home to show Mom and Dad!

Boy, this was really smart, huh?

Best,

Dave

Yikes, Dave. Just think what those folks would have done had they gotten a hold of you and that explosive!

Yeah, that audio was from the DNC protests in Chicago, August 29, 1968. It was a combo race-war protest, IIRC (remember the '68 race riots?). Nick, it wasn't just an anti-war event....

The rock group Chicago Transit Authority (later, just Chicago) used that audio, and more, as part of one of the songs on their first album.....

And yet another Mayor Daley showed his mettle.

Yikes, Dave. Just think what those folks would have done had they gotten a hold of you and that explosive!

I'd rather not think about it. :eek:

Instead of being in Army SF (Green Berets), I'd probably be in Club Fed somewhere wearing green barrettes :yes:

Best,

Dave

Back