Triple tree flyin

Morgan3820

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
El Conquistador
Has anyone stayed at the Triple Tree Aerodrome, SC flyin? I am planning to take the family, weather permitting, and camp under wing. Looking for some tip and insights.

Last edited:
I'm planning on going this year as well for the first time...looking forward to see what folks have to say about it

Also read up on the arrival procedure and keep your head on a swivel. A lot of airplanes funneled into one location. The control tower does an excellent job though considering what they have to work with.

Also read up on the arrival procedure and keep your head on a swivel. A lot of airplanes funneled into one location. The control tower does an excellent job though considering what they have to work with.

....and with no radar, I understand.

I aborted landing there last year, ive flown into much busier uncontrolled airspace before but that took the cake. Wayyyyyy too many idiots. The controller guy gave up and was announcing to just find someone and follow them in. I could see a dozen planes coming in from all directions at various altitudes. None that were flying the published arrival procedure. I pushed the throttle to the firewall and climbed above the nonsense and went D-> back to my home airport. It was dangerous. If I go back it won't be at 10:00am on Saturday.

I've been wondering if anyone has been considering Triple-Tree! Seriously considering making the trek this year, if I can get my push-rod tubes done in time. Probably come in Thursday afternoon or Friday, to see what the fuss is about.

A quick check of the website says, over 800 A/C last year, more expected this year. How many went to the Indy AOPA flyin again? Would help with sense of scale.

I've been to SC00 but not for the BIG fly in. It's a great place and from what I hear from my friends who regularly attend it's a great event.

I have to be in the Atlanta area on Monday the 8th for work, so I'm planning on a stop at Triple Tree on the way. All of this is weather dependent. I've been working on my short field approaches, but I won't need those skills at SC00! I frequently operate out of a 1,000' grass strip, so looking down a 7,000' strip on final is going to be unreal! I've had plans to visit Triple Tree several times in past, but those plans have always been interrupted by weather or other conflicts. I'm hoping it all comes together this time!

looking at the arrival procedures I noticed that the lat/lon for the IP is not consistent with the ground reference (Walmart Dist Center) or suggested heading. I looked for a contact phone number on the website but could not find any.

I aborted landing there last year, ive flown into much busier uncontrolled airspace before but that took the cake. Wayyyyyy too many idiots. The controller guy gave up and was announcing to just find someone and follow them in. I could see a dozen planes coming in from all directions at various altitudes. None that were flying the published arrival procedure. I pushed the throttle to the firewall and climbed above the nonsense and went D-> back to my home airport. It was dangerous. If I go back it won't be at 10:00am on Saturday.

I have to admit to a lot of trepidation due to all of the anticipated traffic. I have never flown into such a large gathering before. I anticipate a 1200 arrival on Friday. Perhaps this will mitigate some of the traffic issues.

looking at the arrival procedures I noticed that the lat/lon for the IP is not consistent with the ground reference (Walmart Dist Center) or suggested heading. I looked for a contact phone number on the website but could not find any.

Everyone uses the distribution center as the IAP. It's a huge white landmark that is pretty easily visible. Enter the following address into google maps and you can pick some of your own visual checkpoints to help identify it.

410-498 Vern Cora Rd, Laurens, SC 29360

Reno, don't let it put you off. Pick a less dense traffic time & keep your head outside. I've been into SNF & the AOPA Indy flyin most recently and both were real snoozers cuz I came early. Much better to hit at 7:30 or 8:00 AM than 10 on a Saturday.

When I landed at the AOPA fly-in in Indy, at 7:30-ish, I was the only reported traffic in the pattern. Later that morning I counted as many as 8 a/c on final.

Everyone uses the distribution center as the IAP. It's a huge white landmark that is pretty easily visible. Enter the following address into google maps and you can pick some of your own visual checkpoints to help identify it.

Grum,

What if I'm approaching from the NW? I assume they still want everyone to the east to join the arrival, yes?

Grum,

What if I'm approaching from the NW? I assume they still want everyone to the east to join the arrival, yes?

Last time I flew in it was from the NNW. I just stayed well clear of the field and started listening to the radio traffic well in advance and flew to the IAP. Slow down to the published approach speed before "Wally World" and get down to pattern altitude so other traffic is more visible. I turned on every available light I had and reported "Over Wally World" just prior to reaching it for a little buffer.

Thanks, I will do that.

Reno, don't let it put you off. Pick a less dense traffic time & keep your head outside. I've been into SNF & the AOPA Indy flyin most recently and both were real snoozers cuz I came early. Much better to hit at 7:30 or 8:00 AM than 10 on a Saturday.

When I landed at the AOPA fly-in in Indy, at 7:30-ish, I was the only reported traffic in the pattern. Later that morning I counted as many as 8 a/c on final.

I can't do 0730. Earliest would be 1030 Friday morning. What do you think?

Hard to say, but at that point I would think it would be 'game on.' Get your head on a swivel and have the arrival procedure and freqs printed, memorized, and at your fingertips.

Basically find Wallyworld, continue to Enoree to the river, turn west toward the airport. Then overfly the airport and turn left if landing 3 and right if landing 21. Land on the colored dot as assigned.

It's been my experience that the big, professionally run, fly-ins are far safer than the smaller, Podunk, fly-ins where Billy Bob and Gomer are on the handheld playing control tower and acting impotent.

I personally try to avoid both though.

While I've only been to the smaller events at SC00 they have been at this for a while and operate a pseudo tower. The WallyWorld is easy to spot and so is the field. I'd not worry.

The facilities once you are there are palatial compared to Sun-n-Fun or Oshkosh.

http://www.tripletreeaerodrome.com/general_aviation.php

If the weather is good expect a tremendous turnout. Last year there were an estimated 3-400 airplanes there. Bath houses are nicer than some hotels I have stayed at. The grass strip is like landing on pavement. Bring some bug spray and comfortable walking shoes.

There were over 8 0 0 airplanes there last year. We took our RV-10 in with wheel pants on without any problems in 2012/2013. Probably won't go this year due to some Allegheny River camping/canoeing. It was getting a little crowded and they ran out of food both years. If we do go, we have some Georgia friends with an RV(not my type), big tent, grille and transportation to the grocery store. The family enjoys most of it though and the planes/people are all real nice. We like the lack of commercial vendors, unnecessary atv's and delivery trucks!(OSH). We also like the fishing, the nice showers, laundry, walking trails, bus trip for the ladies to go to Greenville and the big radial engine alarm clock(no snooze button as you will see). Like most fly-ins....show up early or like us last year at dusk, just before the runway closes for the night. It was fun setting up the tent and tying down in the dark!

Last edited:
Everyone,

I am the volunteer spokesperson for Triple Tree. Please feel free to contact me with any questions. The replies have been pretty much spot on. Busiest time for arrivals is Saturday morning. The "normal" traffic flow starts out very light on Wednesday and Thursday then picks up from there until the max rate is reached on Saturday morning. Early morning and late afternoon are usually very light except on Saturday. We do ask all traffic to begin the arrival at Wally World. I was there yesterday with my Champ meeting some guys doing a practice run and I have to tell you, the grounds are just spectacular. If you can arrive at one of the less busy times, you'll be completely comfortable and I promise you, you will have the time of your life!

Rob Traynham
fltlvl490@gmail.com
864-640-6573

Awesome, thanks Rob! One of my pre-reqs for making this event was getting an oil leak fixed. That was accomplished yesterday so we are a go from Ohio.

I was into a 1600' grass strip yesterday, so I should be able to squeeze it on at SC00. :)

The long range weather isn't looking very good for the weekend, but the worst of it is supposed to arrive on Sunday. My current plan is to arrive Friday morning and depart Saturday afternoon. That should give me a good feeling for the event. This is one of the aviation gatherings I really want to catch before moving away from the Mid-Atlantic region. It doesn't hurt that the flyin occurs during my birthday! Stop by and say hi to Gary @ Maule N52GK if you attend.

Last edited:
We will be down Fri PM and leave Sun AM if wx is forecasted to be good.

The OP is still hoping to go Thurs. pm or Fri. am, but the weather does look iffy. Black and white warrior N9152K. Makes me whish I had a stratus.

Love the idea of the P-51 ride but OMG $$$!! I could fly for a year.

Let's keep an eye on the weather together. Wends. should tell the story.

So, it's Wednesday, what do folks think? It looks doable from up north, even if we have to go south around the terrain between us and Asheville due to mtn obscuration.

So, it's Wednesday, what do folks think? It looks doable from up north, even if we have to go south around the terrain between us and Asheville due to mtn obscuration.

It is flat between here and TT, but I'm getting cold feet. I'm not particularly interested in spending a wet weekend in a tent. Unlike Osh or SnF, there isn't much indoor space, nor are their many indoor activities if the weather stinks.

You will want on-board wx for this trip, especially the return leg.

PMH-SC00 Fri afternoon. It will be a hot, humid and hazy flight with TS's possible over the spine of the Appalachians. Precipitable water values in the 1.8" range. TS should be easy to avoid with okay visibilities and high ceilings, but will be a gully washer if one developes as winds will be light.

TS chances are around 30% while there. Take your tiedowns and enjoy the hot, humid weather. It won't be around much longer.

Sunday's return trip will be a bit more challenging at least south of the hills. A cold front turning into a stationary front will be up against light SE winds just south of the mountains. Lots of moisture, cooler air= a fun time. If tops are under 15k and clg/vis are at least mvfr or better over the hills, we'll turn on some O2 over the top. Later in the day Sunday will be cooler/drier in Ohio/Ky, so we will ensure cloud coverage is improving before departing from SC00 Sunday. One alternative that we have used before is to go over to AVL or RHP and up underneath. The other alternative is to return on Monday. We don't take trips unless there is flexibility. Fly safe, keep plenty of fuel in the tanks and land before you reach your minimums.

It is flat between here and TT, but I'm getting cold feet. I'm not particularly interested in spending a wet weekend in a tent. Unlike Osh or SnF, there isn't much indoor space, nor are their many indoor activities if the weather stinks.

At 30% chance and the way the afternoon radar imagery has been looking, I doubt you will have to take cover for more than 20 minutes a few times. Unlike Osh/SNF, we actually talk to each other and enjoy the peace and quiet at night.

I left KFAY once, flew south of CLT at 4000' then crossed the mountains between GSP and TYS at 9000, then north to LEX at 6000 before turning east for HTW.

The reason was icing in southern WV, and howling westerly winds. Groundspeed crossing the mountains bottomed out at 68 knots, and never reached 120. It was a nice 2.1 hours HTW-->FAY, and 4.4 home.

This is, however, a functional alternate route from TT back to Ohio. If it's too cloudy, cross the hills a little further south where they aren't quite so tall. Hope to pop in and out on Saturday.

I left KFAY once, flew south of CLT at 4000' then crossed the mountains between GSP and TYS at 9000, then north to LEX at 6000 before turning east for HTW.

The reason was icing in southern WV, and howling westerly winds. Groundspeed crossing the mountains bottomed out at 68 knots, and never reached 120. It was a nice 2.1 hours HTW-->FAY, and 4.4 home.

This is, however, a functional alternate route from TT back to Ohio. If it's too cloudy, cross the hills a little further south where they aren't quite so tall. Hope to pop in and out on Saturday.

Stop and say hi. My cell# is usually on the prop tag in case someone wants to meet up or look at the plane. White over red.

Our Sky Arrow is down awaiting ignition parts, so we're pretty sure we're driving over tomorrow to camp Friday and Saturday.

Apparently no hookups but lots of camping spots available.

if anyone else heads that way, let me know and we can try to touch base!

This will be us:

14849357313_d08dcdb68d.jpg

Our Sky Arrow is down awaiting ignition parts, so we're pretty sure we're driving over tomorrow to camp Friday and Saturday.

Apparently no hookups but lots of camping spots available.

if anyone else heads that way, let me know and we can try to touch base!

This will be us:

14849357313_d08dcdb68d.jpg

We will be staying with friends from NE Ga on the SE corner camping area. Hope to meet you.

As we get closer to Fri PM departure, the weather forecast is not looking good. Forecasting mvfr vis/clg with some ifr thrown in along our route. Today was bad enough. It is not going to get any better with a cold front moving through Sat night and stalling just south of Triple Tree Sunday. The family was looking forward to going, but my fun meter is looking like it will be running at 1/4 full. Maybe next year.

Yeah, sweltering in the heat & humidity doesn't meet my fun-factor quotient but we'll see what it looks like once we're in the air. I'm ready to launch for Sportys once the fog burns off a bit, but heading for the hills is sounding iffy. I've crossed at Asheville before and am prepared to go around to the south, but it sounds like the front is going to stall to the south, essentially forcing us north on the return leg.

Well, WX and the need tobe at work monday ended up in a detour. After the obligatory stop at Lamberts, we flew another hour to kcps Downtown St Louis. No tripletree this year for us but we'll do the arch today and see what ele we can find to do.

Anyone know if we can get from Sullivan Regional to Meramec Caverns?

Back