Trip to Tulsa / BOK center

arkvet

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Brent
thinking about an overnight trip to Tulsa to see a concert next week. It's at the BOK center. Wondering if anyone familiar with the area could give recommendations on hotels / airports etc. it'll just be the wife and I.

So far it looks like the Aloft downtown is across the street from the venue. Would like to find somewhere in a good enough area wher the only ground transport we'd need would be to/from airport (taxi?). Will be flying in the Toga.

I haven't finished up the IFR rating yet so I'm gonna wait till a day or two before to get tickets to concert and look at hotel. Want decent VMC for the trip from northeast Arkansas.

You should be able to grab an Uber from RVS to downtown Tulsa, else the FBOs should have rentals available. You can fly into TUL as well, but they're both about 20 minutes from the downtown area. ALOFT is close by, as are several others like the Doubletree, Courtyard Marriot, and Hyatt. If you want something a bit more historical, the Mayo hotel is close as well and shouldn't be too much more expensive than ALOFT.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks sooner. Can you or anyone else maybe elaborate on the "grab an uber"? Ive used courtesy cars, taxis, and rentals.

I kinda get what Uber is but have never done it.

Christiansen Jet Center at RVS should be able to get you a cab or something. They seemed extremely helpful when I was there a few weeks ago, although I didn't need a ride. You might give them a call beforehand and see what they can do.

Thanks sooner. Can you or anyone else maybe elaborate on the "grab an uber"? Ive used courtesy cars, taxis, and rentals.

I kinda get what Uber is but have never done it.

You just download the Uber phone app. You provide the destination address, and it alerts the nearest available Uber driver to pick you up. You pay via credit card in the app, so no money exchanged with the driver directly. The app tells you how much it will be, and how far away your driver is. If you make the request after you shut down, the Uber will likely be there by the time you are tied down and unloaded. Great service.

So is it Coldplay, Magic Men, or Dixie Chicks? Trick question, there is no right answer to that.

Coldplay Thursday night. Decided today the weather was definitely going to allow for the trip. Bought some tickets and booked a room at the Mayo. The Mayo said they'd come get us at the airport just to give them an eta.

Thanks!

Oh and RVS vs TUL? I'll just want to be tied out. We will be there less than 24 hours.

Oh and RVS vs TUL? I'll just want to be tied out. We will be there less than 24 hours.

RVS, it's a little better for small GA, but either is really fine. Christiansen Aviation should take good care of you.

RVS, it's a little better for small GA, but either is really fine. Christiansen Aviation should take good care of you.

Christiansen will tie you down free of charge. I actually tried to give them some money for tie-down since I didn't need to take on fuel. They would not take the money, but instead offered me a bottle of water and a fresh cookie. Can't beat that kind of hospitality.

Coming from AR, I'd personally go into KTUL and would recommend Tulsair (right in the middle of 18L/36R). Quick ride downtown. Likely won't be as busy as KRVS and easy setup for GA on the west side runway.

Coming from AR, I'd personally go into KTUL and would recommend Tulsair (right in the middle of 18L/36R). Quick ride downtown. Likely won't be as busy as KRVS and easy setup for GA on the west side runway.

Well, like I mentioned, one is really as good as the other in all honesty. TUL is GA friendly, and ASEL aircraft (non-turbine) will almost certainly be directed to 36L/18R. RVS isn't materially different from TUL in terms of distance from NE AR or from downtown Tulsa, and you're going to be talking to the same ATC approach regardless. It's really just personal preference.

Well, like I mentioned, one is really as good as the other in all honesty. TUL is GA friendly, and ASEL aircraft (non-turbine) will almost certainly be directed to 36L/18R. RVS isn't materially different from TUL in terms of distance from NE AR or from downtown Tulsa, and you're going to be talking to the same ATC approach regardless. It's really just personal preference.
Exactly right and good correction on my reference of the wrong runway. Only thing you miss at KTUL vs. KRVS is the dueling Follow Me carts from the FBOs.

Exactly right and good correction on my reference of the wrong runway. Only thing you miss at KTUL vs. KRVS is the dueling Follow Me carts from the FBOs.
But you do get asked a couple times if you really do want TUL. At least approach asked me...

Coldplay Thursday night. Decided today the weather was definitely going to allow for the trip. Bought some tickets and booked a room at the Mayo. The Mayo said they'd come get us at the airport just to give them an eta.

Thanks!

Was going to suggest the Aloft for you, as that's where I'll always stay when I go to Tulsa. Being right across from the venue is a big plus and a very easy walk to BOK; smooth check-in, etc. Plus, the bar at the hotel mixes up some good drinks if you care to partake in some before or after the concert. However, I wouldn't know anything about a shuttle to/from the airport. I've heard good things about the Mayo, though! Hope you enjoy the trip!

Thanks guys. The Mayo was great. Easy walk to the BOK. Coldplay was what I expected... The most awesome concert ever. Nice flight both ways.

Ended up flying into TUL for one primary reason. The hotel (Mayo) had a shuttle that would transport us each way. Walter picked us up in a brand new black suburban for our brief drive over to the Mayo.

Tuslair was good to us. Seemed kind of sleepy compared to a few other bigger places I've flown. They were courteous. Took on 20 gallons of fuel and paid nothing for a tie down.

This aviation thing is taking date nights to a whole new level!!! I don't think I've mentioned it on this forum before but my wife got me started in flying by giving me a gift certificate for instruction. As cousin Eddie would say, "It's the gift that keeps on giving".

Thanks for the report, glad you had fun. I flew into TUL/Tulsair a few years ago and had a good experience as well. It was actually quite relaxed flying in, and I'd choose TUL over RVS in the future. Keep up those flying date nights!

Back