Trip to Marathon Key

jsstevens

Final Approach
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
jsstevens
I am seriously comtemplating a trip from Orlando Executive (KORL and my home plate) to Marathon Key (KMTH) early next month. My daughter is going to sea camp on Big Pine key and my wife and I are discussing flying down (actually her idea!) to have a night to ourselves and then pick our daughter up and fly home. We'd be leaving for the return trip ~1PM. What kind of weather patterns would likely be around the keys and south Florida in early May? It'd be nice if we could come back that day, but not a disaster if we had to wait for a morning to get back.

What advice can you good folks offer on the trip, Marathon (FBO, places to stay, cool places to eat, etc.?

John

I fly from Naples to MTH a few times a month during the winter. Can't really help out with restaurants as I always just go to the Subway that's just off the airport. Perhaps others will chime in with other activities.

The folks at GA are quite friendly and helpful.

There's often a convective line from Naples over to FTL during spring and summer.

Beware of the tethered weather balloon aprox 8 miles west of the field.

You could also consider Key West as there's always lots to do there.

John: I'd start with Airnav.com and maybe call the FBO to begin. Sorry, I haven't stayed here, but hopefully some others will chime in.

Before some trips if I haven't been there, I call the FBO, local airport operator (city) if there is one listed and a few places listed that look interesting. Then, I ask about those.

Best,

Dave

I have never been there, but (as noted) watch out for the tether. Yikes! We flew by on a connecting flight from Miami to Key West. That baloon is way up there.:yikes:

Thanks for all the tips. I knew aboout the cable tethering the balloon, but hadn't looked up exactly where it is. My plan is to fly down the east coast and follow the highway out to Marathon. I don't want to fly across Florida Bay in a single engine plane.

I'll call the FBO and see what I can find out.
John

If you want really good food go to Annette's. It is about 2-3 miles south of the airport as I recall, on the Gulf side. Very good food. Someone in your party needs to get a stone grilled dish.

They heat up a stone to 800 degrees and you sear/cook your own right there.

They will also prepare your catch.

It's hard to go wrong with food in the Keys.

Much more touristy things to do in Key West.

Marathon is all about the water....the land sucks....except for the food..

Expect a good cross wind. Be up on your technique.

DITTO....a real strong crosswind. Years ago I almost touched down 90* to the runway...talk about wind.

We were there last April, after SnF. The FBO made all the arrangements for motel and car and gave us lots of ideas for eating.

Nice place. Be aware that the FBO is on the far east end.

Back