Trip to GAMI

Dave Siciliano

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Dave Siciliano
Flew up to Ada today while doing some practice instrument work and visited with George and Tim over lunch. Afterward, George showed me through the shop and update me on some of the things they are doing.

Of course, first and foremost is the Cirrus turbo kit. If you don't know the story, Tim seemed to be the one that saw the need and pushed for the development of the turbo. They did the R&D on their own and retrofitted a couple planes with the system. The folks at Cirrus noticed, flew down for demo flights and began ordering kits. GAMI has delivered about 35 to date: the factory installs them.

George is always entertaining and always has great lunch stories! He thought back about the Aeorstar and how it was designed (he was there for some of the design work) and wondered why no one retrofitted one with jet engines. The plane was dive tested to 300 knots indicated; skin is thicker than needed for the recips; and George thought a great retrofit VLJ if some of the quirky systems would be redesigned. Still much better than beginning from scratch.

We discussed a lot of other things, but it's always great to visit with these folks and talk planes. Even when you think you know a lot, these folks make you feel like a novice.

Best,

Dave

Dave Siciliano said:
Flew up to Ada today while doing some practice instrument work and visited with George and Tim over lunch. Afterward, George showed me through the shop and update me on some of the things they are doing.

Of course, first and foremost is the Cirrus turbo kit. If you don't know the story, Tim seemed to be the one that saw the need and pushed for the development of the turbo. They did the R&D on their own and retrofitted a couple planes with the system. The folks at Cirrus noticed, flew down for demo flights and began ordering kits. GAMI has delivered about 35 to date: the factory installs them.

George is always entertaining and always has great lunch stories! He thought back about the Aeorstar and how it was designed (he was there for some of the design work) and wondered why no one retrofitted one with jet engines. The plane was dive tested to 300 knots indicated; skin is thicker than needed for the recips; and George thought a great retrofit VLJ if some of the quirky systems would be redesigned. Still much better than beginning from scratch.

We discussed a lot of other things, but it's always great to visit with these folks and talk planes. Even when you think you know a lot, these folks make you feel like a novice.

Best,

Dave

Now that it's getting pretty cold up here, I think I'll plan to attend one of their seminars soon. I'll let you know when I firm up the plans.

$$$ & Marketing

From a 2004 Aviation Week article...

http://www.aviationweek.com/shownews/04nbaa/aircraft2_04.htm

Still alive, but scaled-back, is the Aerostar Jet project. Aerostar Aircraft vp Jim Christy says that the company has suspended its search for enough money to launch a new-production, jet-powered development of Ted Smith's high-speed twin-piston design. Too many potential investors, says Christy, "have bought the Eclipse story hook, line and sinker" and consequently do not believe that Aerostar's new-build airplane would be attractive. "I'm a non-believer in Eclipse," says Christy. "I didn't believe the $837,000 price, and if it happens it will be $1.6 million to $1.7 million."
Aerostar is forging ahead with plans to fit FJ33 engines to existing pressurized Aerostars. The aircraft will get a new cruciform tail—designed and tested as part of the Aerostar 800 program in the 1970s—and new avionics. The conversion will be priced "in the mid-$900,000 range" and a good Aerostar airframe costs $150,000-$200,000 today. Aerostar hopes to take delivery of a pair of FJ33 engines next summer and fly three months after that. Christy believes that "at least 200, maybe 300" of the 600 conversion candidates will be modified.

From the current Eclipse Jet website

http://www.eclipseaviation.com/affordability/how_to_buy/

Price.
The price of the Eclipse 500™ is $1,520,000 (June 2006 economics, subject to CPI-W cost-of-living price adjustment).

Dave Siciliano said:

Best,

Dave

That airframe really was engineered around, seemingly, any and all possibilities.

Still a little scary to see the prop locations. The first time I saw one I finally understand how Al Holbert bought it in one. Nice looking birds, though.

lancefisher said:
Now that it's getting pretty cold up here, I think I'll plan to attend one of their seminars soon. I'll let you know when I firm up the plans.
I believe they conducted the last Advanced Pilot's Seminar a couple months ago, unless they've changed their mind. I had several folks I knew fly in for it. Got to see them on the way our or back. You might check, but that may not be offered anymore. They do have an on-line course, I believe. Still, if you're coming down this way, let me know. I tried e-mailing you again and didn't get a response. Good chance I'll be in Florida for part of the Christmas holiday, wanted to coordinate with ya.

Best,

Dave

Last edited:
From their website:
NOTE: The Live classes have been temporarily suspended due to our scheduling conflicts.

Dave Siciliano said:
I believe they conducted the last Advanced Pilot's Seminar a couple months ago, unless they've changed their mind. I had several folks I knew fly in for it. Got to see them on the way our or back. You might check, but that may not be offered anymore. They do have an on-line course, I believe. Still, if you're coming down this way, let me know. I tried e-mailing you again and didn't get a response. Good chance I'll be in Florida for part of the Christmas holiday, wanted to coordinate with ya.

Best,

Dave

From their website:
NOTE: The Live classes have been temporarily suspended due to our scheduling conflicts.

Figures. When I finally find time to attend they cancel the class. Hopefully as the website says, it's just temporary.

The program took much more time than John, Walter and George had. John is flying more in the Gulfstream; George is very personable and it began taking away from other things the company needed his expertise in. Walter does have a full time job in dentistry.

I think they loved it; it just became a very demanding thing. George has to focus on solving technical issues: they had to get the Cirrus turbo systems out--lots of design issues. They were working on the T-34 wing spar issue which could flow over to other planes. Plus the normal GAMI; Tornado Alley stuff.

Perhaps they'll conduct some classes in the future; I didn't ask.

Best,

Dave

Back