Trip to FL in a C150 straight tail

stingray

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Daniel Michaels
I just got back from delivering an older 150 to FL. I had the trip planned for stopping at cheap fuel stops. $3.65 or less. It did not turn out as planned. we did not make the first stop and had to stop at a small airfield. No card reader so we waited for someone to show up. $5.00 a gallon and he charged us two more gallons than we got.

Second stop (We should have stopped at the one I had planned and topped it off) over $5.00 again. We stopped at Bowling Green for the night and paid over $5.00 but that does not count because they comp'ed us a room. Fourth stop $.97 or so. Finally on the last stop before we arrived I hit one of my planned stops $3.65.

Although the plane was an older plane it was a joy to fly down there. It would fly hands off for the most part. We burned 1 quart of oil 16 hrs. The airspeed indicator had some problems but for the most part everything worked great. the owner lives near Flagler Beach and may be looking to get a partner, sell or rent it out. I do not have any pictures but it is a nice looking plane inside and out. Well worth the $16,000.00 he is asking.

Dan

sounds like fun. what year was it? what kind of panel and engine time?

Back in 1989 I bought a '63 C-150 in NW Pennsylvania and flew it down to central Florida. No transponder and an old Edo-Air radio that didn't work. Just got out the sectionals and pointed south.

That was a fun trip.

sounds like fun. what year was it? what kind of panel and engine time?

It was a straight tail with flaps actuated by a lever. If that tells you anything. The engine is high time but was a factory reman. I would not hesitate to hop back in it and fly to CA. Panel had one Old Cessna 300? not legal but worked. (Ex-wife through the 328 out) (Not mine his). I would redo the gauges because they were in really bad order you had to look all over for everything. It would not take too much to arrange them for better scan. Interior is like new and it had a new paint job. Best thing about the plane was the way it flew. I had 150's before and it is a paint to try and keep the ball centered. This one was hands and feet off. It could have used some rudder trim though.

My suggestion would be a SL40, remove the VOR and Cessna radio. rework the panel. Less than $2,000.00 and it would look like new. It had a trans that worked not sure if it had Encoder but the trans ponder would accept one.

Dan

I bet you had a blast. My first airplane was a C150 named Penelope. I flew her down to St Simons Georgia and back and had a ball. Here's a PIREP. Often times cars were passing us! lol

Back