Trim effect jammed elevator emergency

Would trim have any effect if it's used in an opposite way on a stuck elevator emergency in a convential plane (eg Cessna 172)? It is not clear for me if the trim tab really acts as a mini elevator in this scenario. There is a guy (don't remember his name) who said he did tests holding the yoke in position and using trim the opposite way and unfortunately there was no effect. But a lot of books and safety articles state that it works.

What's the truth behind this? Is this more like a flying safety myth? Or a proved flying technique?

I hope none one ever is put in such a situation to test it on his own skin.

If the elevator is actually jammed and not moveable then the trim tab will act as an elevator when operated in the opposite orientation of normal, but it will be VERY weak.

What I've also read about the full disconnected freefloating surface scenario is that some designs might be prone to flutter, but I can't certify they were talking about some experimental designs or standard certified aircrafts cause the article I read covered also some experimental aircrafts design flaws.
Anyone on this issue?

Back