Tribute to the Tomcat

bstratt said:

I loved that bird since I saw one do a demo at Oshkosh, pre-delivery to the Navy. It didn't have Navy markings yet. That was many years before Tom Gun. It became my favorite.

Tom, FW, Bruce, Ron: Those squadron names. Is a squadron wing assigned to a specific carrier group? A region? They have dates associated, so they have a specific time of being active?

Do ya think we could pool our resources and pick up a surplus F-14? You know. Maybe the combined net worth of all of us could pay for the fuel and maintenance. I'd say it was worth it.

Last edited:
Squadrons are assigned to Air Wings, Air Wings are deployed aboard carriers, sometimes in long-term relationships, sometimes in rotation. My three cruises with VAW-112 was on three different carriers and three different wings and three different oceans.

see http://www.topedge.com/alley/text/cvws/airwings.htm

Awesome! Thanks. That had to be a Phantom flying chase for the first ejection sequence. Enough smoke from those J79's to cover an airborne assault by the 101st and 82nd combined.

bstratt said:

That video has a quick scene from one my most favorite movie clips of all time. It's from a movie called "Final Countdown" in the 1980's with Martin Sheen where the USS Nimitz goes back in time to just hours before the attack on Pearl Harbor in WWII.

The whole time travel thing has always been a fascinating subject to me (and I'm not claiming it's the greatest movie by any stretch), but I love the scene where the two F14's flash past two Zeroes who are attacking a private yacht. Just the look on the Zero pilots faces as these "things" flash past them with afterburners was worth watching the whole movie. Can you imagine taking a modern fighter back in time to WWII and what those guys would have thought if they'd seen one?

Last edited:
ausrere said:
That video has a quick scene from one my most favorite movie clips of all time. It's from a movie called "Final Countdown" in the 1980's with Martin Sheen where the USS Nimitz goes back in time to just hours before the attack on Pearl Harbor in WWII.
I was on the Nimitz when they filmed some of the segments - not all the carrier shots where Nimitz - they interspliced some Midway and another carrier willy-nilly. Obvious one is in Nimitz returning to Pearl at the end, if I recall correctly. Got an autographed photo of Kirk Douglas in "my" Hawkeye.

Thanks for the heads up on the video...

My fave have been the '15s... But I've liked the '14s as well alot...

Back in '82 I got the chance to go out on the Kennedy as a guest of the captain (friend of my fathers) on the family and friends day before it embarked on a tour of duty. I remember standing on the flight deck when an F-14 flew directly over the deck going supersonic. The sonic boom was awesome! I wanted to quit my job and join the navy!

Re: Tribute to the F-14

I always thought that the F-14 was one neat fighter but then I'm biased towards swing wing aircraft. I watched a cable show about the F-14 and got a kick out of the "fly-off" that was staged for the Shah of Iran. The F-15 and F-14 were the top prospects for Iran to buy in the 70s. Just goes to show how a good demo pilot/crew can sell an airplane. The Shah went with the F-14.

Well, this is interesting! I see Barry posted the same vidio 15 minutes later and called it tribute to the Tom Cat. Wonder how that happened!!

same way Tom and I posted the "Navy - Year in Review" link within minutes of each other ... similar uplines in the email traffic?

Dave Siciliano said:
Well, this is interesting! I see Barry posted the same vidio 15 minutes later and called it tribute to the Tom Cat. Wonder how that happened!!

I merged the threads together.

Dave Siciliano said:

Before I post anything I try and check to see if its already there. When I checked before posting this I didn't see your post listed.

bstratt said:
Before I post anything I try and check to see if its already there. When I checked before posting this I didn't see your post listed.

Not to worry. We have common goals! I just thought it was funny with all the items out there on which to focus, we each posted the same thing is such close proximity!! Small world sometimes.

Dave

Back