Tri-Pacer for training?

BarryCooper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BarryCooper
Any of you more experienced CFIs have time in a PA-22-150 w/tricycle gear? Pros/cons/will it take the punishment from students? Thanks

I think it’s a great trainer, ain’t the easiest to fly. Requires rudder management. Gotta manage power better during approach and landing. Still durable and has performance. The O-320 is a good engine.

Any of you more experienced CFIs have time in a PA-22-150 w/tricycle gear? Pros/cons/will it take the punishment from students? Thanks
Only one Tri-Pacer flight, but time in the Colt that I used to own, which is similar. It drops like a rock power out - the glide ratio is pretty steep, but I'd be comfortable teaching in one. The nose gear gives the impression of a being a lot sturdier than Cessna products.

I think it’s a great trainer, ain’t the easiest to fly. Requires rudder management.

This is a GOOD thing in a trainer, assuming the Tri-Pacer has the rudder/aileron interconnect removed. Champs and Cubs require more rudder attention than the Pacer, and they are classic trainers that really force you to learn to fly properly unlike what most flight schools have on the ramp.

Good timing on this post, as I'm currently considering a Colt to purchase for my son to use to get his PPL. I'm hoping one will fit in my extra large t-hangar with my mooney...

I like them. I got my Com sel in Colts and Tripes. I like the interconnected aileron/rudder. It's even been easily flown by pilots with a leg cast. Hand brakes, no brake pedals. Cut the power w/flaps and it comes down like a tool box. One caution when taxiing and turning with a quartering tail wind. Apply brakes and they have a history of over turning. Not called "milk stools" for nothing. To clarify, draw a line from the down wind mlg and the nose wheel and that's the axis that it flips on.
The O-290's are pokey, the 150 hp are better but the 160 hp are very good. I blew the doors off a C172 in a 160 HP with all my seats full. I've been told that they carry a good load of ice.
The Principle Operations Inspector from my company's FSDO had a colt with a tailwheel conversion.

The only one I flew was a "Caribbean" I think was the name. It had 160HP and was on Edo 2000 floats off the Columbia River at Waddell's. It was a great airplane and I'm sure it would be a great trainer

I have maybe 30 hours in a Tri-Pacer, about 10 teaching basic. You've heard the things to watch for. My thoughts are it will take as much abuse as any other trainer. The question may be does it get basic pilots in trouble, but an experienced CFI will prevent that by teaching and demonstration. I am impressed by the plane.

My first aircraft was a Tri Pacer and I learned more about flying from that aircraft than I have from any humans or other aircraft. I believe it’s a great plane to train in and you will remember the skills you learn from it for ever.

The only one I flew was a "Caribbean" I think was the name. It had 160HP and was on Edo 2000 floats off the Columbia River at Waddell's. It was a great airplane and I'm sure it would be a great trainer
If it was a Caribbean with 160 hp, it likely was modified somewhere along the way.

The 160 hp engine was added to the Tri-Pacer line for 1958, and through the end of Tri-Pacer production in 1960, both the 150 and 160 hp engines were available. But in the 1959 and 1960 model years the 150 hp model, dubbed "Caribbean", was a more spartan package marketed primarily to flight schools and rental fleets.

1960 PA-22-160 Tri-Pacer and PA-22-150 Caribbean, respectively:

pa-22-160_1960_3.jpg

pa-22-150_1960.jpeg

Back