Treating the AR-15 like a baby... (NA)

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
Some friends and I have decided to go out this weekend and put holes in things, so I decided to give my Rock River Arms AR-15 its first thorough cleaning. Since it's chrome lined, I've run patches of CLP through after each firing but not used the bore brush or cleaned all of the parts in the upper receiver. Halfway through the process I'm thinking to myself "Wow. This is a weapon that is basically meant to go through hell, and I'm treating it as if the most minor mistake is going to destroy it."

I do have one question if anyone can answer it though... The -10 manual mentions cleaning each part in the bolt carrier with CLP then with a dry patch. I coated patches with CLP and used that to cover the parts rather than spraying the parts directly. Would it be better to simply spray the parts then dry the excess with a patch, or will my method work just as well?

Wiping with CLP coates patches and then wiping dry is fine. The spray works a bit easier because it get into the small areas that you have a hard time getting to with a patch.

Wiping with CLP coates patches and then wiping dry is fine. The spray works a bit easier because it get into the small areas that you have a hard time getting to with a patch.

Makes sense. Thanks :D

For the conditions and frequency with which you'll be using the weapon, your method is fine.

Regards.

-JD

I recall taking the real thing (M-16) into the shower to clean it. Just couldn't get used to that idea. Then we'd sleep in the field with it inside the sleeping bag. Not exactly comforable. :D Oh, and how do you hide a small amount of rust before returning it to the armory? Write over it with a pencil! :rolleyes:

I do have one question if anyone can answer it though... The -10 manual mentions cleaning each part in the bolt carrier with CLP then with a dry patch. I coated patches with CLP and used that to cover the parts rather than spraying the parts directly. Would it be better to simply spray the parts then dry the excess with a patch, or will my method work just as well?

For your use, either will be fine.

Back