Travolta the Pilot

Watching the movie now...thanks for letting me know it existed (talking about The Shepherd on Disney+)

Last edited:
A g2, if I remember correctly, the battery switch was the ground for the entire airplane. There were a few crashes because the battery switch was right next to the standby inverter switch, if not careful when turning on standby inverter you could turn off all power to airframe. Later there was an ad to install a guard between the switches.

Per the variety interview (link in murph’s linked cnn piece), travails was in a GII when he experienced electrical failure
Anyone familiar with the systems in that jet, care to comment? are there no backup systems in a G2?
Second-hand info, but I was told that GIIs are either AC airplanes or DC airplanes, and the two have substantially different procedures for electrical emergencies, and that Travolta applied the wrong procedures and made the situation much worse than it would have been.

I just watched it on Disney+. It is a short film - about 45 min. It is a nice movie - and better than most things I find on TV.

Second-hand info, but I was told that GIIs are either AC airplanes or DC airplanes, and the two have substantially different procedures for electrical emergencies, and that Travolta applied the wrong procedures and made the situation much worse than it would have been.
Thanks! It seems strange to this piston pilot that there aren’t some backup systems.

I just watched it on Disney+. It is a short film - about 45 min. It is a nice movie - and better than most things I find on TV.
Agreed. CGI done well, with the moonlit night scenes almost beautiful.

Ron Wanttaja

Per the variety interview (link in murph’s linked cnn piece), travails was in a GII when he experienced electrical failure
Anyone familiar with the systems in that jet, care to comment? are there no backup systems in a G2?

From what I heard, the emergency was pretty much entirely Travolta induced. They got super lucky.

Watched “The Shepherd” last night. Nicely done.

Reminded me of a Twilight Zone episode. Both in general, and it brought to mind at least one specific episode from the first season: The Last Flight. I remember this one because I was recently scrolling through old episodes and this was one I rewatched. A fair number of episodes over the years had aviation themes. All episodes up on Paramount+ and possibly other services as well.

The GII has both dc and ac systems at least serial no 96 did. They didn't have constant speed drives for the ac generators so it was wild ac. It would then be converted to dc, then back to regulated ac. Some of the high load circuits like window heat still used the wild ac.

Back