Travesty in schools!

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
I was sitting at my friends house today, when we went to go get his daughter from Kindergarten. When she got home, she produced a picture that the teacher assigned for her to color. It was a menora (sp?).

Now - I am ok with being tolerant of other religions and whatnot, but this is the same teacher and school that refused to allow any discussion of what Christmas is really about, they don't allow any coloring of crosses or even allow the break that they are going on as Christmas Break, but they did have a discussion about how the Menora is special because of the oils it burns and whatnot (I apologize, I don't know the specifics about the Menora).

What is this all about? Why is it ok to discuss one faith in school, but not another? When I was a kid, we made Dradels (sp??), but that was different, because we also talked about Christmas and we decorated a Christmas Tree and had a Christmas play also.

I point out again - this is not an anti jew statement, I'd feel the same way if the teacher brought out some kind of Quran induced materials. Sigh.

Well there's one way to find out. You could always storm the fort and place the "admins" on the spot by asking.. "What's going on"? If their answer isn't what you want, then tell them you're going to the local media.. and on upward. That ought to rattle somebody's cage.

Dakota Duce

"May All Your Flights Be Of Good Weather!"

Well, I'm not a particularly religious person myself. I do feel that those who are complaining about 'religion' in schools are a bit silly. If you dont believe in ANY god, such phrases as UNDER GOD would have no signifigance to you. :)

Now, maybe they were given a choice of holiday items to color in and the girl in question chose the menora because it was pretty? I know as a boy I would have chosen a boy thing to color... like a sturdy Christmas tree! :)

Sometimes we go too far trying to prove how tollerant of other religions we are.

AirBaker said:
Well, I'm not a particularly religious person myself. I do feel that those who are complaining about 'religion' in schools are a bit silly. If you dont believe in ANY god, such phrases as UNDER GOD would have no signifigance to you. :)

Now, maybe they were given a choice of holiday items to color in and the girl in question chose the menora because it was pretty? I know as a boy I would have chosen a boy thing to color... like a sturdy Christmas tree! :)

Sometimes we go too far trying to prove how tollerant of other religions we are.

That's my point. This wouldn't have bugged me as much if the teacher was teaching everything to the children. Somethng like "This is a Christmas tree. It is part of the celebration of Christmas. This is a menora, it is part of the celebration of Hannukah," etc. That would be fine, and actually, that is what they should do.

Side point - I was threatened to be written up at work if I continued to tell customers "Merry Christmas" at the end of the call.

I haven't stopped.

SkyHog said:
Side point - I was threatened to be written up at work if I continued to tell customers "Merry Christmas" at the end of the call.

I haven't stopped.

You tell them I will cancel my service with them at once if they write you up for saying merry christmas. Now that ****es me off.

AirBaker said:
If you dont believe in ANY god, such phrases as UNDER GOD would have no signifigance to you.
until lawmakers start making religion-based legislation by using references to god like this to back up the legitimacy of it.

personally the words don't bother me, but the government using stuff like that to widen the gray area between the seperation of church and state does. i would fully feel like "who cares" about this topic if it wasn't for that.

i feel sorry for teachers now a days. my g/f works at a school and gets complaints from parents about the 'happy holidays' thing. they really do need to be consistant though.

In response to "Happy Holidays" ...

"Well thank you! Did you know that 'holiday' is derived from 'Holy Day'? And, Happy Holidays to you, too!"

:)

gkainz said:

"Well thank you! Did you know that 'holiday' is derived from 'Holy Day'? And, Happy Holidays to you, too!"

yeah, i learned that from the daily show. lol .. what great comedy. :)

SkyHog said:
Now - I am ok with being tolerant of other religions and whatnot, but this is the same teacher and school that refused to allow any discussion of what Christmas is really about, they don't allow any coloring of crosses or even allow the break that they are going on as Christmas Break, but they did have a discussion about how the Menora is special because of the oils it burns and whatnot (I apologize, I don't know the specifics about the Menora).

Menorah.

You're right - this is wrong. If you're gonna do one religion you have to at least cover the rest of the biggies as well.

When I grew up in University City, MO (a long, long time ago), my 3rd grade teacher was jewish. We did the whole Hanukkah thing AND the Christmas thing, even though we didn't have any jewish kids in the class. The latkes were yummy!

gkainz said:

Well don't leak that to the press!!! :)

Michael said:
You tell them I will cancel my service with them at once if they write you up for saying merry christmas. Now that ****es me off.

You guys, we just gotta all hang in there, and if they give you trouble about it at your job or wherever, tell 'em that Christmas is a Federal Holiday, complete with the day off, for all to consider and reflect upon what 'separation of church and state' REALLY means.

Last edited:
seperation of church and state doesn't mean we shouldn't say 'merry christmas,' it means we don't go to war because 'god told me ...'.

it seems like people are fusterated and don't know who to blame about the happy holidays thing and it's often being directed at non-religious folk.

at the school level it seems like it's more of an issue of cultural respect for those who either celebrate other forms of christmas or not at all. i don't think there was a court case against 'merry christmas', was there?

i think most people, christian or not, (except maybe other religions) say and don't care if others say 'merry christmas'.

this is funny, ... usually reigion and politics is a bad thing to discuss, .. this subject is both. :)

I'm with the "teach a little about all or teach none" theory of this. I certainly agree with you, Nick, that it doesn't make sense for them to stonewall the Christian nature of the holiday, and then teach about the Menora. I don't have a problem with "hey, there's Christmas and here's what it's about, there's Hannukah, here's what it's about, there's Quanza, here's what it's about." But you can't do one and not the others.

Funny thing is, for many people in this country, according to polls, the whole "issue" is a non-issue.

Seems like just the loud voices on both sides of the issue who get to make the rules.

Jim G

mmilano said:
seperation of church and state doesn't mean we shouldn't say 'merry christmas,' it means we don't go to war because 'god told me ...'
"The first amendment reads, 'Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...' The statement about a wall of separation between church and state was made in a letter on January 1, 1802, by Thomas Jefferson to the Danbury Baptist Association of Connecticut." from http://www.noapathy.org/tracts/mythofseparation.html

Actually, it's kind of ironic that in the past, the common complaint was the "commercialization of Christmas"... now we're complaining that the commercialization is NOT including Christmas...

Did anybody else think about the fact that if you wish someone or some group of people " happy holidays " you are able to offer your wishes without having to first try to determine what holiday that person might celebrate. .

With that being said ..

Happy holidays to everyone on POA

gkainz said:

And more cocktail party info...

Did you know that the winter soltice festival that happens this months was the basis for celbrating the birth of the sun god? In rome he was called Saturn and when the early Christians needed to have a celbrations of their 'son' of God they used this same time.

The birth of the Sun God was celbrated by large feats, one of the reason we probably still eat too much at holidays. So to all a traditional Christmas greeting should be... Have a joyous feast of Saturn
;)

And way before the Romans and in all corners of the globe ancient folks celebrated the coming of the new year. 5000 B.C. or so years ago in Ireland, the Mayans of 600 A.D, or the Chaco culture of NM in 1100 AD to name a few. Ever wonder why the church determined the date of Christmas? The chuch wasn't dumb, they preempted several pagan celebrations.

And Nick that is exactly why I don't have cable!!! I get nervous around the holidays and if I called Comcast I don't know how I would be greeted on the phone:rolleyes: . Heres an idea that may get you promoted at Comcast rather than written up. Have seperate phone lines. On line one I can call and be wished a Happy Hanukkah on line two folks can call and get wished a Merry Christmas, One line three Muslims can call and be congratulated on not having to battle it out at the malls this time of year on line four Scientologist can call and be wished a super duper TomKat day. Better yet just have one number and differnt voice prompts for the religious or secular greeting you would like. Send this idea right to Mr. Roberts, you can take credit for it if you want!

As for your frineds daughter,mmmm something dosen't sound right,

1) Perhaps they did give the kids a choice of symbols, just can't imagine a public school teaching about Hanukkah symbols and not Christmas symbols something dosent' sound right. Did your buddy check with the teacher? Let us know. I mean really how many jewish people live in New Mexico. Beleive me it is not a big destination for my people.

Anyway Nick from your jewish friend to you (and Erin)
MERRY CHIRSTMAS!!

AirBaker said:
See... and I would have spelled it Kwanza... :)

Oops. And I misspelt Hanukkah too!

So much for my believe in my own "multiculturalism".

Happy holidays all on the board!

Jim G

AdamZ said:
And Nick that is exactly why I don't have cable!!! I get nervous around the holidays and if I called Comcast I don't know how I would be greeted on the phone:rolleyes: . Heres an idea that may get you promoted at Comcast rather than written up. Have seperate phone lines. On line one I can call and be wished a Happy Hanukkah on line two folks can call and get wished a Merry Christmas, One line three Muslims can call and be congratulated on not having to battle it out at the malls this time of year on line four Scientologist can call and be wished a super duper TomKat day. Better yet just have one number and differnt voice prompts for the religious or secular greeting you would like. Send this idea right to Mr. Roberts, you can take credit for it if you want!

As for your frineds daughter,mmmm something dosen't sound right,

1) Perhaps they did give the kids a choice of symbols, just can't imagine a public school teaching about Hanukkah symbols and not Christmas symbols something dosent' sound right. Did your buddy check with the teacher? Let us know. I mean really how many jewish people live in New Mexico. Beleive me it is not a big destination for my people.

Anyway Nick from your jewish friend to you (and Erin)
MERRY CHIRSTMAS!!

I like the multi-line idea. I'll pitch it :)

You could very well be right about them having a choice. I think we have a fair amount of jewish people here though. Obviously, with the hispanic population we have WAAAAY more Catholics...but still.

Happy Hannukah to you Adam, and your family!

Welcome to Comcast!
Para Inglés, prensa (o hablo) "una"
For Christian greetings, press or say "two"
For Jewish greetings, press or say "three"
For Muslim greetings, press or say "four"
For Athiest greetings, press or say "five"
For Agnostic greetings, press or say "six"
For Humanist greetings, press or say "seven"
For Roman Mythology greetings, press or say "eight"
For Norse mythology greetings, press or say "nine"
If you would like to speak to a customer representative concerning problems with your cable television, internet or telephone service, press or say .... oh crap, we're out of numbers! Have a nice day and thanks for calling Comcast!

gkainz said:
Welcome to Comcast!
Para Inglés, prensa (o hablo) "una"
For Christian greetings, press or say "two"
For Jewish greetings, press or say "three"
For Muslim greetings, press or say "four"
For Athiest greetings, press or say "five"
For Agnostic greetings, press or say "six"
For Humanist greetings, press or say "seven"
For Roman Mythology greetings, press or say "eight"
For Norse mythology greetings, press or say "nine"
If you would like to speak to a customer representative concerning problems with your cable television, internet or telephone service, press or say .... oh crap, we're out of numbers! Have a nice day and thanks for calling Comcast!

Oh man. Thats good. And not too far from the truth either.

For English, press 1.
Para espanol, prima nueva

For Cable Television, press 1
For High Speed Internet, press 2

If you currently have service, press 1

Etc.....it really sucks to be the one that has to explain to customers that its better that they go through the convoluted mess rather than pick random options, because now I have to transfer them to the correct department. No one wants to hear it. And I can't really blame them.....

Unless they're still pressing buttons when I answer. Then I blame them and feel no guilt. :D

I was going to post the politically incorrect version, but then thought better of it. Public board and all.

wsuffa said:
I was going to post the politically incorrect version, but then thought better of it. Public board and all.
Chicken ;)

SkyHog said:
...Unless they're still pressing buttons when I answer. Then I blame them and feel no guilt. :D
The only IVR option/feature that really torques me off is "Please enter your 36 digit account number, followed by the pound sign"... only to have the human who eventually gets the call routed to their desk have to ask for the account number again, because even tho the software demands it, it doesn't pass it on to the tech who gets the call... bad, bad software designer ... must be a RUP designer and a Java coder who did that!!! :rolleyes:

SkyHog said:
For English, press 1.
Para espanol, prima nueva
I don't get that one ... literally "For Spanish, new premium"? (according to google language translations, that is, as "mi español es muy débil")

Last edited:
gkainz said:
The only IVR option/feature that really torques me off is "Please enter your 36 digit account number, followed by the pound sign"... only to have the human who eventually gets the call routed to their desk have to ask for the account number again, because even tho the software demands it, it doesn't pass it on to the tech who gets the call... bad, bad software designer ... must be a RUP designer and a Java coder who did that!!! :rolleyes:

I don't get that one ... literally "For Spanish, new premium"? (according to google language translations, that is, as "mi español es muy débil")

I'm not positive. I don't speak the Spanish. It sounds like 'Para Espanol, uprima nueva.' Its probably not that tho. Nueva is 9 I think.

SkyHog said:
I'm not positive. I don't speak the Spanish. It sounds like 'Para Espanol, uprima nueva.' Its probably not that tho. Nueva is 9 I think.

Close, it's nueve.

Back