Traverse City Cherry Festival - Blue Angels

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
Leslie and I are planning to fly up to Traverse City, MI next weekend to visit some friends and go to the Blue Angels :blueplane: exhibition on Sunday, 7/2. Hopefully we'll also get to hear them talk Saturday evening, if we can get there in time. (We couldn't get a plane early enough on Saturday to go to the show that day.) Anyone else from the group planning to be there? More info at www.cherryfestival.org

gprellwitz said:
Leslie and I are planning to fly up to Traverse City, MI next weekend to visit some friends and go to the Blue Angels :blueplane: exhibition on Sunday, 7/2. Hopefully we'll also get to hear them talk Saturday evening, if we can get there in time. (We couldn't get a plane early enough on Saturday to go to the show that day.) Anyone else from the group planning to be there? More info at www.cherryfestival.org

I'll be in Bellaire (about 20 NE of TVC) for a week arriving Saturday. If the wx is good I may come for the airshow. My cell is 612 867-4102 if you want to hook up.

-lance

Grant, I'm in Bellaire now. There are some TRW blowing through the area (mostly north and south of here) but there;s lots of separation between them. I had no trouble at all coming in from the west an hour or so ago. The are booking right along too. I had a 50 Kt tailwind at 9000 across Wisconsin.

Hi, Lance. Our plans changed a bit due to wx; looks like we'll be heading up Sunday morning, make it a one-day trip.

Leslie

lprellwitz said:
Hi, Lance. Our plans changed a bit due to wx; looks like we'll be heading up Sunday morning, make it a one-day trip.

Leslie

I am still planning to watch the show from the beach tomorrow.

We made it up for the show. Sorry we didn't call you, but were spending some time with our hosts. We were just to the left of hte beach, next to the public boat launch. It was a pretty good show.

gprellwitz said:
We made it up for the show. Sorry we didn't call you, but were spending some time with our hosts. We were just to the left of hte beach, next to the public boat launch. It was a pretty good show.

I saw the Blue Angels but missed most of the rest. It took over two hours to make the drive from Torch Lake to the show. Normally it's about 30 minutes so we figured that leaving an hour before the show start time would be adequate, but the traffic was unbelievable. About half of the 25 mile trip was spent at less than 10 mph with several miles of just creeping along. Maybe I should have flown to TVC and caught a taxi.

I know what you mean about the traffic. We flew in at about 10:30 and went directly to downtown, and still had trouble finding parking there. Glad you at least got to see the Blue Angels.

My friend out there is a professional photographer, and he took some good pictures of the show. If he gives permission, I'll post a couple here.

Here's a few pix I took.

Attachments

• DSCF2693 (600 x 450).jpg
    DSCF2693 (600 x 450).jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 6
  • mating.JPG
    mating.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 6
  • untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 5
Here are some shots by my friend. He gave me permission to post them here, with the note that they are:
Copyright Ted Lacey Photography 2006.

Attachments

• CRW_6785-B.jpg
    CRW_6785-B.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 5
  • CRW_6823-B.jpg
    CRW_6823-B.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 4
  • CRW_6864-B.jpg
    CRW_6864-B.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 3
  • CRW_6900-B.jpg