Traveling after a double bypass...

wsuffa

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Bill S.
A family member is undergoing a double bypass today. (sigh) What is the current thinking on how long it will be before he can travel (in a car, not a plane)?

We have a family event coming up soon, and I don't want hime to miss it.

wsuffa said:
A family member is undergoing a double bypass today. (sigh) What is the current thinking on how long it will be before he can travel (in a car, not a plane)?

We have a family event coming up soon, and I don't want hime to miss it.
My father-in-law traveled for brief periods (less than an hour) about five days after his triple bypass.

A week later, he chartered a plane for the flight home.

A month later and he drove a rental from Oregon to San Diego, hopped on a three week cruise, then took a Lincoln Navigator from San Diego to Michigan to Oregon and back to San Diego over the next month.

He kept it short distances and had to rest quite a bit but built up his tolerance a lot.

wsuffa said:
What is the current thinking on how long it will be before he can travel (in a car, not a plane)?

The biggest risk with travel in the post operative period is blood clots developing in the legs. A person's body is geared up to "clot" as part of the healing up process. Sitting still for long periods of time makes it more likely to happen. I let people ride in a car at anytime after surgery. However, I tell them to get out every 1 1/2 hours or so and walk around the car a couple of times. When sitting in the car, wiggle their feet, legs and butt. It is actually good advice, even if you haven't had surgery.

Barb

Thanks, that's the good news, I suppose.

The bad news is that they were concerned about disorientation after the cath, and are concerned about minor stroke. MRI scheduled for the weekend, and bypass surgery pushed off a few days.

I may end up having to make a trip back east sooner than expected. :(

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back