Trapped in my house....

Might be worth a phone call to the sheriff's office. "Hey, the cops are shooting at my neighbors. Is it okay if I shoot at 'em, too?"
I would avoid the "'em" pronoun...somebody might get confused as to who you wanna shoot at.

The 'us vs. them' rhetoric is getting pretty thick in this thread.

The 'us vs. them' rhetoric is getting pretty thick in this thread.
It's post-ception: Another poster jumping on the bandwagon to dislike posts jumping on a bandwagon to dislike a post. :rolleyes:

Nauga,
whose top is still spinning

Back to the OP: When I was in high school my mom was supposed to be trapped inside the house during an incident. But, ...

Back in a previous life, I used to live on Ft. Leavenworth. Between the military prison, the federal prison right outside the gate, and the state pen a couple miles away, there was always the possibility of an escape. Normally, a car would be stolen and a getaway attempted.

One day we got word at school that an escape had occurred - I don't remember which prison, but it probably was the military prison. These days every school would be put on lockdown. Back then, we were simply told not to pick up hitchhikers. I got home after school and asked my mom if anything out of the ordinary had happened. She said she was out doing yard work when a helicopter flew by, slowly, at eye level. Our house sat on a hill above some railroad tracks that ran along the Missouri River. The helicopter was apparently searching the RR tracks, so it would have been eye level to our yard. She said there were some guys sitting in the doorway, with their feet hanging out. They waved at her, so she waved back. They waved again, she waved back. I asked, "Mom, did they have rifles and did they look like they were waving at you like 'Get in the house you crazy woman!!!' or did they look like they were waving at you like 'Hey, how's it going?' ". She thought about it for a minute and said, "Well, when you put it THAT way..."

Way back when I was a young man, living in "nice" quiet neighborhood, I was awakened by someone pounding on the door. It was a LEO and he wanted to know if anyone else was in the house. I told him my two kids were upstairs asleep, why? He said the guy across the street had barricaded himself in the house with a weapon and was threatening to kill anything that moved. This from his wife who had escaped after a fight. He then said to get the kids and leave in case gun fire broke out. I told him to pack sand. I was not about to get the kids up and then take them out to the car in plain view of this nut case. They were upstairs in the back of the house, safe as can be. He said to evacuate or he would arrest me for child endangerment! I told to try if he wanted, but I was not marching myself and my kids out for target practice. He said charges would be brought and any harm to the kids was on me. I went back to bed. Still waiting on those charges.

Back