Transporting a gas container?

flyersfan31

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Freiburgfan31
Quick opinion check -- would you load a plastic gasoline container (half-full) in your plane for a short (40min) low level (3500ft) flight??

I'm wondering about expansion. I wouldn't want to leave the expansion valve open so that fumes might escape. I don't want a fireball in the air, but I would like to have the fuel at my destination.

Quick opinion check -- would you load a plastic gasoline container (half-full) in your plane for a short (40min) low level (3500ft) flight??

I'm wondering about expansion. I wouldn't want to leave the expansion valve open so that fumes might escape. I don't want a fireball in the air, but I would like to have the fuel at my destination.

It's just me, but... I'd probably not. Does the engine at your destination run on 100LL? Most small engines will run just fine on 100LL, particularly if it's just a one-time use.

Edit: A half-full plastic container will vent some fumes, likely enough for you to smell it, not sure if it would vent enough to hazardous.

Gary

Last edited:
It is done a lot. Not to say it is safe in any way but we know it is done.
You can look at it statistically.
Most such transports will go without a hitch.
When it doesn't go well, it goes very, very not well.

Probably would be a lot better in a pressurized aircraft where you can set the cabin pressure. Not saying it's a good idea.

This just gives you another reason to buy a Meridian. :D

i would not worry about it in the least. Approved gas cans can handle a large amount of vapor expansion. If they did not one could not safely drive into the mountains with a gas can in their trunk or leave the can in the sun. I would not open the expansion port on the can as that would let vapors out as you would be breathing them in.

Last edited:
i would not worry about it in the least. Approved gas cans can handle a large amount of vapor expansion. If they did not one could not safely drive into the mountains with a gas can in their trunk or leave the can in the sun. I would not open the expansion port on the can as that would let vapors out and you would be breathing them in.

Good point!

i would not worry about it in the least. Approved gas cans can handle a large amount of vapor expansion. If they did not one could not safely drive into the mountains with a gas can in their trunk or leave the can in the sun. I would not open the expansion port on the can as that would let vapors out as you would be breathing them in.

The plastic gas cans vent as they're sitting in the sun because they aren't at all well sealed, but they're outside, and you never get enough vapor concentration to smell it.

For your airplane to go boom, you need a vapor concentration high enough to create an explosive atmosphere, plus a source of ignition. Apparently that's what happened in the NTSB report Capt. Ron linked. For something as aromatic as gasoline (or tolulene) to get to that point, you'd hope your nose would tell you early enough to increase ventilation, but I wouldn't bet my backside on it. Just take a look at those YouTube videos of gas station fires caused by static electricity...

I'd find another fuel source at my destination.

Get a Mogas STC for the Matrix :smile:

Get a Mogas STC for the Matrix :smile:

I was just thinking that maybe there is a market here for aviation grade gas cans. They would be guaranteed to not leak or rupture. A 5 gallon can would only cost 3 AMUs.

I wouldn't ride with a Wallyworld gas can. They genarally hold the pressure OK, but they can and do leak.

I had thought about taking small propane bottles for the camp stove, and decided that the failure would be so catastrophic that it definitely did not justify the risk.

I'd be surprised if any engine that only needed a 1/2 of a gas can would have any problems burning avgas. I run all of my air-cooled engines on it, and my liquid cooled 1000cc engine starting around September. That stuff just doesn't go bad, unlike what comes out of the pumps at the gas station.

I was just thinking that maybe there is a market here for aviation grade gas cans.
They're called military plastic jerricans.
Note I said plastic, not metal, plastic.

If you look at a plastic jerrican, there are depressed lines all along the sides and depressions in the bottom. These are designed to give the jerrican flex and expansion room. The can will absorb all the expansion you can give it. It is designed for significant changes in altitude and pressure.

Alan

I was just thinking that maybe there is a market here for aviation grade gas cans. They would be guaranteed to not leak or rupture. A 5 gallon can would only cost 3 AMUs.

Seeing as aviation gas tanks can leak or rupture, how would you expect that a portable gas can wouldn't?

It's only a half-can 'cause that's what's in there. Nothing sez I couldn't fill it full before the trip. I have a gas-powered tow at my new hangar, so I was thinking of bringing the can along to gas it up instead of having to run out to the gas station for the ceremonial first push-back into the hangar. At the same time, bringing a gas container in the plane gives me pause, hence the thread. I'm leaning towards inconvenience over potential fireball. :D

100ll is no problem for the engine per the mfr, and won't void a warranty, so it'll get a nice ceremonial first use on hi-test.

Thanks everyone.

It's only a half-can 'cause that's what's in there. Nothing sez I couldn't fill it full before the trip. I have a gas-powered tow at my new hangar, so I was thinking of bringing the can along to gas it up instead of having to run out to the gas station for the ceremonial first push-back into the hangar. At the same time, bringing a gas container in the plane gives me pause, hence the thread. I'm leaning towards inconvenience over potential fireball. :D
Probably a good decision. Always ask yourself "what would the NTSB report look like?" :yikes:

100ll is no problem for the engine per the mfr, and won't void a warranty, so it'll get a nice ceremonial first use on hi-test.

Thanks everyone.

Let us know if 100LL smells as good coming out of a tug as it does coming out of a Lycoming.

My 4.5 hp tow runs fne on 100LL.
No way would I have any but a totally empty gas can in my cabin. Even a double walled metal one.

The accident report would just be too Stupid.

22676_4a4bd96da1552Image4.jpg

"The pilot placed a gasoline-powered "weed whip" on the rear passenger seats of the airplane for a personal flight. The pilot smelled a "strong" smell of gasoline as the airplane touched down for landing at the destination airport. During the after-landing taxi, the engine end of the weed whip fell behind the two front seats. The pilot stated that he reached back and placed the weed whip back onto the seats and "something caused it to ignite." The pilot stated that he was charging his cell phone where the weed whip was located. The pilot stated that the smoke was so bad that he pulled the mixture control to idle cutoff and exited the airplane. The pilot was uninjured. The airplane was then consumed by fire."

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=20081003X41454&key=1

Hmmmm, don't most of us have fuel valves in the cabin? Those can leak too. I've had more fuel valves leak in my planes than I have in the 17 gas cans I have at my house. OK, maybe not 17 cans, but there's quite a few there, and none leak.

Back