Transponder.

EdFred

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
White Chocolate
If my ancient King has died....

GTX327 or GTX330?

I know the differences, I have a 430....worth it?

Tough one.

A couple of planes in the club has it (and SoCal supports it) and I love it.

When it came time for the same decision in the T28, we opted for the 327 because the $4K difference couldn't be justified.

Up to you.

Joe

Is TIS active where you fly?

If so, perhaps the 330 would be alright; otherwise, 327.

If my ancient King has died....

GTX327 or GTX330?

I know the differences, I have a 430....worth it?

For me, yes. For you???

Much of my travel is near radar facilities that have the traffic data. It bailed my *** out on one or two occasions were ATC dropped me. On the east coast, it's pretty continuous from Richmond northward.

OTOH, I see it as a stop-gap until ADS-B gets fully rolled out. I expect the traffic data to be around for a while.

My one suggestion is that you spring for the extended squitter version that puts out the ADS-B compatible response. That'll save you something when the FAA finally gets to implementation - they're progressing in the Philly area.

TIS is awesome, however there might be other solutions like the Zaon XRX which are cheaper and extend the range past the MODE-S coverage areas, but I don't think it will interface with the 430. Where you need it most is in high density traffic areas and the most if not all of those are served by TIS.

My one suggestion is that you spring for the extended squitter version that puts out the ADS-B compatible response. That'll save you something when the FAA finally gets to implementation - they're progressing in the Philly area.

That's exactly what I was going to say. And IIRC, only the 330 is available with extended squitter. If Garmin's site is correct, the 330 with ES already supports ADS-B Out, thus you won't need any further upgrades to play in the NextGen system.

With the 330 you'll be able to avoid all that traffic going into 6Y9 much easier!

I know you're joking, but... It won't work! :( Minne Center doesn't have radar coverage very low up there, and center radars don't do TIS IIRC.

Personally, I'd go for the 330 solely due to the ADS-B functionality. TIS will be nice if it works, but I'd recommend one of the new Garmin active traffic systems if you want traffic that actually works all the time. :yes:

I have the 330 tied into my 530. It is worth every penny and has saved my a$$ more then once!

Personally, I'd go for the 330 solely due to the ADS-B functionality.
Does it actually have the ability or jsut the capability to be upgrade int eh future?

From the Garmin site "With IFR-certified ES, or Extended Squitter, versions of the GTX 330, Garmin has taken the lead in providing an affordable pathway to ADS-B compliance for the FAA’s proposed Next Generation airspace system."

It sounds little like the WAAS upgrade pathway for the older 430s.

What else is needed for the ADS-B compliance if this thing is fully functional?

I've got TIS, and I love it. Yes, it doesn't help around Salisbury because PXT TRACON doesn't have the gear, but once I get into the busy areas around PHL and Balto/DC, it's great. One neat feature it has over the active on-board systems is that no-transponder/primary-only targets are also datalinked up.

One neat feature it has over the active on-board systems is that no-transponder/primary-only targets are also datalinked up.

Are you sure about that.

From the AIM 4-5-6 (d. 2)

(a) Intruder Display Limitations. TIS will only display aircraft with operating transponders installed. TIS relies on surveillance of the Mode S radar, which is a "secondary surveillance" radar similar to the ATCRBS described in paragraph 4-5-2.
IME the only advantage of TIS over active TAS (besides cost) is the somewhat accurate "estimated intruder track" vector.

Does it actually have the ability or jsut the capability to be upgrade int eh future?

From the Garmin site "With IFR-certified ES, or Extended Squitter, versions of the GTX 330, Garmin has taken the lead in providing an affordable pathway to ADS-B compliance for the FAA’s proposed Next Generation airspace system."

It sounds little like the WAAS upgrade pathway for the older 430s.

What else is needed for the ADS-B compliance if this thing is fully functional?

My understanding is the only thing you get is compliance, assuming ADS-B will be required at some point. Your position data can be transmitted via ES, so those with full ADS-B can see you, but without the ADS-B receiver you aren't going to see anyone else (exclusive of TIS of course). I'm not sure about that, but I think that's how it works.

When it came time for the same decision in the T28, we opted for the 327 because the $4K difference couldn't be justified.

Up to you.

Joe

I paid $2800 for my 330 used but overhauled by Garmin. I have mine hooked to my 530 and works great.

Shop around there are some good buys out there.

My understanding is the only thing you get is compliance, assuming ADS-B will be required at some point. Your position data can be transmitted via ES, so those with full ADS-B can see you, but without the ADS-B receiver you aren't going to see anyone else (exclusive of TIS of course). I'm not sure about that, but I think that's how it works.

That's my understanding as well, and somewhere on Garmin's site when I was looking around for the info I posted earlier, it stated that the 330 with ES can already provide ADS-B Out, so you wouldn't need anything more in the future to be compliant. However, you do need another box for ADS-B In functionality - The GDL 90.

garmin.com said:
Garmin brings the promise of “Free Flight” one step closer to reality with the GDL 90, aviation’s first certified ADS-B datalink transceiver.

That's my understanding as well.

There is a company working on a lower-cost version (than Garmin) of the ADS-B receiver. (http://www.navworx.com)

That's my understanding as well, and somewhere on Garmin's site when I was looking around for the info I posted earlier, it stated that the 330 with ES can already provide ADS-B Out, so you wouldn't need anything more in the future to be compliant. However, you do need another box for ADS-B In functionality - The GDL 90.

According to the Garmin website ES is an option on the 330 so even a brand new one might not have this feature. I do know that they sold the 330 long before ES became available and AFaIK they offer an upgrade for something like $1500. I assume the ES option on a brand new 330 costs a bit less.

me said:
250-watt digital Mode S transponder is IFR-certified and offers data link capabilities with Traffic Information Services (TIS) interface. Includes a pilot selectable datafield and optionally provides ADS-B out with extended squitter.

As it turns out, found the problem with the transponder. Coax connector issue. So I don't have to get a new box. I am not sure how I feel about this.

As it turns out, found the problem with the transponder. Coax connector issue. So I don't have to get a new box. I am not sure how I feel about this.

For a few 'bones, I could have Vinny come down and make that transponder 'disappear'. :ihih:

Ed, that means you have time to put the money for a 327 in the bank account so that it can pay for a 330 when your old one actually breaks.

Ed, that means you have time to put the money for a 327 in the bank account so that it can pay for a 330 when your old one actually breaks.

...the way things are going, if Ed puts the money for a 327 in the bank, by the time he needs a transponder, it's likely to be enough money to buy, like, a gallon of milk.

...the way things are going, if Ed puts the money for a 327 in the bank, by the time he needs a transponder, it's likely to be enough money to buy, like, a gallon of milk.

A gallon of milk still costs more than a gallon of gas! At least for the organic milk I buy.

But I'll bet you don't drink it as fast as your airplane does. ;)

Hmm... no, I don't suppose that I can drink a gallon of milk in a minute like my airplane does at takeoff power. ;)

...hold my beer and watch this...

And beer (Coors low lead) costs around $11.00 per Gallon.

And no; I don't think I could match my bird in GPH either...

Not to say that in College I didn't try...

Ditto the "throw Up" Part...

Chris

"Thread Drift at it's Finest"!

Back