Transponder verified today - easy peasy

saddletramp

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
saddletramp
I'm taking my CFI reinstatement check ride on August 1 after a 20 year hiatus. That said, I have a fair amount of dual given since I attained my original CFI in 1975 at the ripe age of 18.

I'll be taking the check ride in my newly acquired 182A. The DPE made sure to tell me that the aircraft logs must prove airworthiness before he can fly in it. A few nights ago I couldn't sleep thinking about the check ride & the 24 month on Mode C popped into my head. I got up at 5AM & sure enough it had been three years ago. Dang it. I panicked.

I'm based in fairly rural area & figured I'd have to travel to Seattle or Spokane to get my xponder certified. I googled & made a few calls & a small avionics shop 50 NM from my airport said he could perform it today & it would only take a few minutes. He was willing to do it on a Saturday.

When I arrived in KPSC it did take less than 30 minutes at a cost of $60.00. I was relieved.

I flew home knowing my xponder was totally legal. Now about dang ADS-B stuff...

$60 is a great price. Yeah, the 'informal' check is when ATC is getting the proper readout for your altitude.

Of course one has to be up to snuff for a DPE check ride. Another option may be some 'Inop' stickers??

Back