Transponder should be in ALT on ground

I guess I've just been lulled into believing that current charts, AF/D, FAR, & AIM were required. Seems I can leave them with my logbook.

One of my instructors said the last thing to do before taking the runway was "lights, camera, action" Turn on the landing light so everyone can see you taking the runway and so it will be on in the air; turn the xpndr from STBY to ALT (the camera so the radar can see you); and then start moving.

BTW, doesn't STBY stand for "sucks to be you"

I have a simple checklist that is more efficient than the damn planes that sit in the runup area for 15 minutes trying to figure out what they are doing...after a quick mag check, control check and shoulder harness check it is a five count of actions, rolling out to the runway; canopy locked and tested, mixture rich, transponder to alt, fuel pump on, speed brake up. Period. Works every time. Can redo 5 things a couple times while rolling onto the runway if necessary. Always 5 things.

STBY after start, ON during taxi, and ALT at hold short line. But I fly out of a class D that does not require a transponder.

I never get to class A, B or C air space.

And a good time to review and consider exactly what "controlled airspace" is, and what a large percentage of your flight time is probable spent there.

Airspace%20Chart.jpg

For the most part, unless you're pretty low, you're in it.
1. I do like "low", though have to get pretty far outside DC to enjoy the valleys and such up close.

2. IRT the AIM; I like it, and find it far more useful than the FARS

And now it will become comical while you help us all understand how YOU determine the "good advice" from from the "exceptions." Hopefully this comedy will only be online, because if you're talking to someone from the FAA about an actual incident/accident they will probably treat the FAR/AIM as gospel.
Ridicule is what people resort to when they've run out of logical arguments.

Be pretty sad to someday see the anonymous post "I SHOULD have followed the AIM, but some guy on PoA convinced me they ain't rulez"
Are you saying that everything in the AIM is mandatory and legally enforceable?

STBY after start, ON during taxi, and ALT at hold short line. But I fly out of a class D that does not require a transponder.

No doubt old habits die hard.

But can you articulate a sound reason for not following the current recommendation?

Since it actually simplifies things - one action as opposed to three - then why the resistance?

Attachments

• Current Charts - FAA Policy.pdf
    25.4 KB · Views: 3

But can you articulate a sound reason for not following the current recommendation?

Since it actually simplifies things - one action as opposed to three - then why the resistance?
I like the simplification, but I don't like creating distraction for pilots on short final.

So what is different about the ASDE-X (where it is required to be on) airports that prevents what you describe from being a problem?

:dunno:

Looks like the ones with "ground radar" or ASDE-X are all really busy, large airports in class B airspace.

:dunno:

Looks like the ones with "ground radar" or ASDE-X are all really busy, large airports in class B airspace.
Correct, but in theory, because they are so busy, wouldn't the problem you describe be even worse?

Old habits do die hard, FastEddie. My only defense is at least the get done.

I told you how things are where I work. I can't comment on places and equipment I know nothing about.

I guess I've just been lulled into believing that current charts, AF/D, FAR, & AIM were required. Seems I can leave them with my logbook.

Not lulled, more likley told by a inexperienced CFI

You actually bring all the crap with you for a simple VFR burger hop?

You actually bring all the crap with you for a simple VFR burger hop?

Charts are in the panel mounted 696 and Garmin Pilot. The AF/D, FAR, and AIM are in an iPad. Also in the iPad are the installation and user manuals for everything in my panel, and pdf copies of the electrical, fuel, and hydraulic systems.

So. I guess YES, I bring a lot of crap with me on every flight.

I told you how things are where I work. I can't comment on places and equipment I know nothing about.
No need to get ****y. I'm just trying to genuinely understand why this is apparently a problem at some, but not all airports.

Charts are in the panel mounted 696 and Garmin Pilot. The AF/D, FAR, and AIM are in an iPad. Also in the iPad are the installation and user manuals for everything in my panel, and pdf copies of the electrical, fuel, and hydraulic systems.

Well that's not as bad, I'm the same with my iPad (FF pro SV, FAR (includes the never used AIM) AFM, MEL, Opsepc, GOM, countur maps, etc), and have all the charts (IFR/VFR/IAP) on both my iPad and phone, for short burger hops I'll at least have my phone on me.

Last edited:
Not ****y, just telling you what I know and don't know. S'all good bro.

Correct, but in theory, because they are so busy, wouldn't the problem you describe be even worse?
From an FAA Web page that I linked earlier (the one with the list of airports), it appears that the ASDE-X system has a variety detailed data sources that normal radar doesn't have, and a more detailed display.

ASDE-X Description.png

Which demonstrates the big advantage of electronic flight bags, etc.

My understanding is that TCAS is a lot more sophisticated (and a lot more expensive!) than traffic alerting equipment typically installed in bug-smashers.

My understanding is that TCAS is a lot more sophisticated (and a lot more expensive!) than traffic alerting equipment typically installed in bug-smashers.
I am not going to read back through the whole thread, but have there been any complaints from people who use other systems?

I have no problem with you making your own decision about your transponder, but it seems as if you are using hearsay to do so and trying to be courteous when it makes little difference.

I am not going to read back through the whole thread, but have there been any complaints from people who use other systems?

I have no problem with you making your own decision about your transponder, but it seems as if you are using hearsay to do so and trying to be courteous when it makes little difference.

It's no more hearsay than anything else that instructors tell me.

And if I hear it from someone here, isn't that hearsay too?

It's no more hearsay than anything else that instructors tell me.

And if I hear it from someone here, isn't that hearsay too?
What it says in the AIM is not hearsay. It's not regulatory, but it's not hearsay.

What it says in the AIM is not hearsay. It's not regulatory, but it's not hearsay.

Good way to put it.

And it can be made regulatory very easily. The catch all phrase "familiarize themselves with all aspects of the flight" is regulatory and has been used before both in charges and in ALJ decisions.

If one were defending that before an ALJ and said, "I thought the other airplane would be bothered by my transponder" I'm sure the judge and FAA lawyer would have a field day with that statement.

"Objection, Irrelevant, Your Honor. Operation of the other aircraft's avionics is the responsibility of the pilot of the other aircraft. The question posed was about about the accused's operation of their own aircraft's avionics."

"Sustained."

Palm is literally defending the indefensible. If FAA says "turn it on" the false alarms in someone else's cockpit are their problem, not yours, unless ATC gets involved. They get to interpret and act on whatever toys they decided to operate for their flight.

If their toys don't work right in an environment where folks are following FAA guidance, that's really their problem to buy better toys.

Man, they argue a lot over at the Red Board! :D

I never said it was.

When you said I was relying on hearsay, I thought you were talking about the fact that the characteristics and behavior of GA traffic-alerting equipment were observed by someone other than myself. If that is the case, then it would apply regardless of whether the "someone other than myself" is an instructor I have flown with, or a poster on this thread.

Last edited:

Friend that works at ATL said it wasn't a problem. With all their sectors, they can offset the scope or zoom in. Said they can remove the ground tags to leave just an airplane icon also.

Asked another who works at a C and they want the transponder off for taxiing. Different facility, different systems, different preferences.

What source has been cited for the claim that false alerts are not a safety issue?

I meant the source of the recommendation the aircraft squawk altitude at all times, at all airports, from the moment the aircraft moves on a movement area.

If false alerts are a concern, they can have you stop squawk on an individual basis at a towered airport, or change the recommendation.

Until then, it's so easy to "Just Do It!"

I meant the source of the recommendation the aircraft squawk altitude at all times, at all airports, from the moment the aircraft moves on a movement area.
I'm not saying that's hearsay.

If false alerts are a concern, they can have you stop squawk on an individual basis at a towered airport, or change the recommendation.

Until then, it's so easy to "Just Do It!"
I don't think we should be waiting for "they" to tell us to address safety concerns.

Back