Transitioning to the Experimental World

Jay Honeck

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jay Honeck
After two decades of owning and flying certificated aircraft, Mary and I decided to visit the dark -- and rapidly growing -- side of general aviation: Experimental homebuilt aircraft. After much research, we opted to go the Van's RV route, as their performance, robustness, support, and cost matched our goals.

For three nanoseconds, we considered building a plane. We then realized that with just 18 hours a week off between us, and another full year of remodeling ahead before our latest hotel project was complete, that building an airplane was out of the question.

So, purchasing an already-built RV became the order of the day. In order to safely accomplish this radical departure from our norm, I hired an RV expert, Tom Berge, to assist in our search. I have written extensively about this wonderful experience in another thread, so I will leave it at that.

The differences between the RV-8 and Piper Pathfinder are striking and obvious. The -8 was designed to be a nimble, high performance 2-place sport plane, capable of gentlemen's aerobatics and relatively high speeds, while the Pathfinder was designed to be a load-hauler. With its immense 1460 pound useful load, it's the F-150 of planes, capable of hauling four 200- pound men in comfort and style.

The -8 can carry Mary, me, and two good-sized soft-sided suitcases. :D

That said, the progress made in the 40 years between the Cherokee and RV designs is amazing. The Cherokee design is solid, unexciting, and decidedly old school, with cable controls and the aerodynamic sophistication of a work boot, while the -8 is simple, clean, and nimble, with wonderfully harmonized pushrod controls.

The difference in flying characteristics could not be greater. After going through transition training and flying the -8 for thirty hours, I took the Pathfinder up for exercise. I actually thought something was broken! After lumbering up to pattern altitude, I gave the yoke a good grunt to crosswind -- and was shocked at the resulting wallowing, agonizingly slow turn rate. The controls were not harmonized, and excessive wing dihedral, undoubtedly put there to enhance stability, seemed to cause the nose to noticeably hunt during turns. In over a thousand hours of flying Cherokees I had never noticed these undesirable flight characteristics before, but now they were made painfully evident.

The advantage of non-certified avionics has also been driven home. The three access TruTrack autopilot in the -8 will fly us to the runway threshold, effortlessly, at a cost of just $3500. To get that safety and capability in the Pathfinder would have cost upwards of $15000, so we simply did without a device that most certainly could save our lives one day.

And I am truly looking forward to future panel upgrades, as opposed to dreading them as I did in all my previous planes. To be able to at last afford cutting edge aircraft technology is exciting.

Two things really surprised me with regard to the added speed and performance of the RV. First, soon after transition training started, it became obvious that the added performance actually made the RV easier to fly than the Cherokee. Once you learn the proper landing technique, it is child's play to grease the -8 onto the runway, and its virtually impossible to get behind the power curve, thanks to instant acceleration with the application of power.

Second, I expected the clean design to make the -8 a floater when landing, but just the opposite is true. Because of its light weight, this plane will land right NOW if you let your airspeed decay. You land it like a lawn dart by comparison to landing the Pathfinder, which requires far more finesse to land well.

To discover that a Cherokee -- widely viewed as one of the easiest-to-fly designs of the 20th century -- was actually harder to land than an RV was stunning. It's a real tribute to Van that he was able to design such a capable aircraft, with outstanding performance at both high AND low speeds.

With regard to mods and repairs, the advantages of experimental aircraft became immediately evident. Simple mods -- forbidden by law in the Pathfinder -- became legal and easy. Since I am not the original builder, I still must have an A&P inspect my work, but doing simple things like adding ship's power to the back cockpit for a tablet suddenly became possible. Replacing basic stuff like a voltage regulator, or converting a circuit breaker to a switch/breaker, ceased to be a major ordeal. And the guys in the experimental world have been enormously helpful, positive, supporting, and willing to help.

Were that only so in the certificated world from whence we have come! I have been astounded at the overt prejudice shown by some certificated aircraft owners and pilots against homebuilts in general, and RVs in particular. The attitude of some of these guys is breathtaking in their ignorance -- almost none of them have any experience with experimental aircraft -- yet they are incredibly vocal. It's one of the strangest things I've witnessed in aviation.

This prejudice is all the more surprising because the experimental aircraft movement is the ONLY healthy segment of general aviation. By every measure, certificated GA is dying, or already dead, while experimental GA is growing and healthy -- yet so many pilots seem to be vocally against it. Perhaps it's just a few squeaky wheels, but given our overwhelmingly positive experience with the RV world, this reaction is neither logical nor helpful to general aviation.

After two months of RV ownership I can say that the transition has been overwhelmingly positive. The negativity displayed by some old-school certificated pilots has been more than offset by the enthusiasm and warmth of the homebuilt community, which has welcomed us with open arms. This rapidly growing segment of GA has been a refreshing breath of fresh air, after two decades of existing in the slowly diminishing certificated world of aviation, and Oshkosh was WAY less of a funeral dirge this year than it's been in the recent past.

To be a part of a GROWING, thriving, vibrant aviation community is wonderful! I had grown so accustomed to an existence that assumed a slow, painful death for aviation, it's hard to describe how refreshing it is to discover a group of wildly enthusiastic and optimistic pilots that is expanding, not contracting! I heartily recommend making the transition to experimental homebuilt -- it will restore your faith in a future that will include general aviation!

So, as I watched the new owner of Atlas fly away this morning, I wondered aloud if I would ever own a certificated aircraft again. The answer for now, at least, is a resounding "nope".

Last edited:
congrats on the sale of the plane,I hope atlas will have a great owner.The RV people are a proud lot and seem to be a bunch of fun people.Have fun and enjoy.

Jay:

On behalf of homebuilders everywhere, thank you for your post. Great to hear you are enjoying yourself. Now the next step is for *you* to build something! :yesnod:

Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Peshtigo, WI

Simple mods -- forbidden by law in the Pathfinder -- became legal and easy. Since I am not the original builder, I still must have an A&P inspect my work, but doing simple things like adding ship's power to the back cockpit for a tablet suddenly became possible.

That is indeed my favorite part. As one that has always maintained everything I've owned myself the thought of not being able to do that with an aircraft is rather odd.

Any work (not just maintenance) on your experimental aircraft can be performed by anyone regardless of their credentials. You can do whatever you'd like Jay without it being inspected, just use common sense. You simply must have an A&P perform the condition inspection each year.

Congrats on selling your Atlas. The two happiest days of any aircraft owner...

Since I am not the original builder, I still must have an A&P inspect my work.

Not exactly correct.... there is no legal requirement for an A&P to inspect your work on your own E-AB aircraft, even if you are not the builder. You, as the owner, get to inspect and sign off your own work now. It may be smart to have someone knowledgeable about these aircraft look over your work if you're not 100% comfortable, and generally speaking the more eyes look over it, the better. The only thing you legally need an A&P for now, is your annual condition inspections since you're not the builder and don't hold the repairman's cert for that individual airplane.

I told you, you'd want to throw rocks at the old Cherokee once you have flown an RV :yes: There really is no going back! All there is now is having to occasionally deal with some negativity, jealousy-fueled resentment, and even some downright hate coming from certain highly-opinionated segments of the general aviation community against experimentals, and RV owners in particular. I try to not let them bother me, and ignore them as much as I can. They're in the minority since most "airplane people" love RVs even if they own and fly factory built planes.

Congrats on the sale of Atlas too. The last year that I owned my old Cherokee.... I only put 16 hours on it. The young fellow who bought mine still flies it a lot, even though he just bought an RV-3 himself too.

Last edited:
I hate you Jay.

Ok, I am happy for you.
but ~j~e~a~l~o~u~s~

Congrats, Jay, on your transition. Later in life when my needs will only be pilot + 1pax, I could easily see me looking at something like an RV-8. Fast, efficient, and the aerobatic is just icing on the cake. As someone who's always done his on mx on vehicles, that aspect appeals as well.

I also look at some of the really cool little STOL taildraggers like Just Aircraft, and think it would be great fun to build and fly one of those little guys.

Jay:

On behalf of homebuilders everywhere, thank you for your post. Great to hear you are enjoying yourself. Now the next step is for *you* to build something! :yesnod:

Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Peshtigo, WI

Well, I *am* doing some building (other than hotel construction!). Our -8A's original builder never got around to installing the main gear strut to fuselage fairings, for whatever reason. I am in the process of trimming, priming, painting, and installing them, which has been fun.

When we get done with this hotel project, I will have LOTS more time on my hands. In the past, every time that has happened we have bought another "project". Maybe next time the project will be building a Harmon Rocket, or something. :D

I also look at some of the really cool little STOL taildraggers like Just Aircraft, and think it would be great fun to build and fly one of those little guys.

Just Superstol is a blast, had a ton of fun. Just don't expect to travel far in it - it'll be fairly slow. But if you are into exploring the hills and sand banks in the 'hood - get one.

Our delivery slot is in March :D

2 Jay

Congrats on enjoying your ride. I do suggest you drop the "us vs them" horse**** though. Also be careful. A buddy of mine swapped his BMW 1200C for a GSX-R 1000 once - kids out of the nest and stuff. Was raving about the performance and the slo-mo world for two months, up until he about bought it in the gixxer. He made through it ok, thankfully, but you get the idea.

Attachments

• Just_SS.jpg
    Just_SS.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 31
Congrats on enjoying your ride. I do suggest you drop the "us vs them" horse**** though. Also be careful. A buddy of mine swapped his BMW 1200C for a GSX-R 1000 once - kids out of the nest and stuff. Was raving about the performance and the slo-mo world for two months, up until he about bought it in the gixxer. He made through it ok, thankfully, but you get the idea.

No worries. I've ridden a GSX for years. :D

There is no "us versus them" here -- I love ALL aircraft! Sadly, there is a small, vocal minority of pilots who regard experimental homebuilts with suspicion and fear, which is expressed as ridicule and disrespect. IMHO their world is diminished by this attitude, and GA is being harmed by it.

The point of my writing about my transition experience is to show that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks, and sometimes the grass really IS greener on the other side of the fence. :D

Our delivery slot is in March :D

Nice! Did you go to their factory for a tour and to fly the plane? Their factory is a nice day ride from here, so I just may jump on my S1000RR and ride over there! (to combine both of your ideas)

Nice! Did you go to their factory for a tour and to fly the plane? Their factory is a nice day ride from here, so I just may jump on my S1000RR and ride over there! (to combine both of your ideas)

Visited the factory and took the bird for a flight with Troy. Highly recommend!
Ride would be nice, I flew into KCEU from FL - as the factory runway is unconventional - 400' at 30 degree incline :eek:

No worries. I've ridden a GSX for years. :D

There is no "us versus them" here -- I love ALL aircraft! Sadly, there is a small, vocal minority of pilots who regard experimental homebuilts with suspicion and fear, which is expressed as ridicule and disrespect. IMHO their world is diminished by this attitude, and GA is being harmed by it.

The point of my writing about my transition experience is to show that you CAN teach an old dog new tricks, and sometimes the grass really IS greener on the other side of the fence. :D

If you remember from the other thread, I'm quite vocal about you doing stupid **** :) I don't remember posts saying "RV-8 sucks and falls apart for no reason and every other one ends up in a yellow bus full of blind children and their seeing eye puppies".
I think I should set up a betting pool for when the "experimental world" (who's that anyways? VAF?) banishes you for being grumpy :D

If you remember from the other thread, I'm quite vocal about you doing stupid **** :) I don't remember posts saying "RV-8 sucks and falls apart for no reason and every other one ends up in a yellow bus full of blind children and their seeing eye puppies".
I think I should set up a betting pool for when the "experimental world" (who's that anyways? VAF?) banishes you for being grumpy :D

You ain't seen grumpy...
:D

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3...

Great airplanes, those RVs. One of these days....

Come on Jonesy, how old are you gonna be before you say " Damn, if I'd only"......... Don't be that guy! :no:

Just say yes!

Thanks Jay. A well written starting post.

I'd pretty much given up on flying after my last rentals years ago. Slow, dull and expensive. Now I'm having a blast. Even enjoy the maintenance....! Well, at least most of it, a couple projects have Bern miserable. Upgrading to a Trio autopilot this weekend. That's gonna be sweet. :yesnod:

I'm glad you're happy with the new purchase and that you are now an advocate. However, some of the blush is off the rose when it comes to the safety statistics. I don't know the whole story, and I don't think there is anyone who really does, but the stats for the exp planes is remarkably different than that for the certificated world. That's an ugly fact that can't be dismissed. Sure, you can start saying 'but if we just take this data point, or that data point away, things are much better'. Well, the fact is that you can't, and if we take out all the Bonanza accidents from the certificated group from the 70s and 80s, that would improve the certificated numbers as well. They are what they are.

You also said that exp was the ONLY healthy(your emphasis) segment of GA. I would say there's some upside in the light sport part, and sport pilot but it's not all great. The LSA is a blend of certificated, exp, and ASTM factory built options. It's hard to characterize the impact but I'm sure it's modestly healthy, but of course could be better.

I think if one sticks to well known and well tested designs from men who know what they are doing, and get an example that has been meticulously built, the exp can be pretty safe. But - it will never match the safety of the certificated world, and that's fine, cause that's where the risk lies. With risk comes reward like easier upgrades, lower cost options, and no guarantees on performance.

I've looked at and will continue to look at exp planes. If I get one, it will almost surely have a whole plane parachute. Two reasons, in case something small but important goes wrong, I want one more piece of insurance. Also, the cost of a whole plane chute for an exp is a fraction of what it would cost for a cert plane, and I would like to have it for that as well, but the cost is still unreasonable.

Good luck with your plane. I'm sure you'll get many years of happy use from it.

To the OP: update your signature, you lazy, grumpy, cash flush bye-sterd! :)

(Edit: Thanks, that's better. You did that in, like, less than 12 seconds!)

Last edited:
...the stats for the exp planes is remarkably different than that for the certificated world. ...Sure, you can start saying 'but if we just take this data point, or that data point away, things are much better'. Well, the fact is that you can't...

Actually, Jay can, and here's why.

The NTSB says experimentals are more dangerous primarily in two very specific sets of circumstances:

(1) Phase 1 flight testing, especially during first flights
(2) In the hands of second owners without transition training

Jay is (1) buying used and (2) getting transition training. That absolutely moves him to a different data point. He can have a safety expectation close to that of a certificated aircraft.

The Phase 1 gap is an especially apples-to-oranges comparison. Every Experimental Amateur Built is considered one-of-a-kind by FAA for good reason. Most builders do at least some little things differently to make it their own, and some may be using a rivet gun for the first time.

Certificated manufacturers figure out all their bugs on a few flight test aircraft, then clone the sorted designs without variation using professional assemblers. Boeing had forced landings with the test 787s, and Cessna crashed two Skycatchers during spin testing. Those bugs were resolved, and won't affect the first 40 hours of any of the production aircraft. (Obviously the 787 has also had battery issues, but they didn't result in dead-stick landings.)

Last edited:

OK, then I'll start cherry picking. It's a race to the bottom. I already said what you said anyway:

"I think if one sticks to well known and well tested designs from men who know what they are doing, and get an example that has been meticulously built, the exp can be pretty safe. "

Does those providing transition training include his zoom climb nonsense as part of the syllabus?

The NTSB says experimentals are more dangerous primarily in two very specific sets of circumstances:

(1) Phase 1 flight testing, especially during first flights
(2) In the hands of second owners without transition training

Jay is (1) buying used and (2) getting transition training. That absolutely moves him to a different data point. He can have a safety expectation close to that of a certificated aircraft.

The Phase 1 gap is an especially apples-to-oranges comparison. Every Experimental Amateur Built is considered one-of-a-kind by FAA for good reason. Most builders do at least some little things differently to make it their own, and some may be using a rivet gun for the first time.

Certificated manufacturers figure out all their bugs on a few flight test aircraft, then clone the sorted designs without variation using professional assemblers. Boeing had forced landings with the test 787s, and Cessna crashed two Skycatchers during spin testing. Those bugs were resolved, and won't affect the first 40 hours of any of the production aircraft. (Obviously the 787 has also had battery issues, but they didn't result in dead-stick landings.)

I'm glad you're happy with the new purchase and that you are now an advocate. However, some of the blush is off the rose when it comes to the safety statistics.

See my post on the reasons GA is dying. The wussification of America is at the top of the list.

I have zero interest in the relative "safety" of experimental aircraft versus certificated aircraft. I have lost several friends in aviation, and not one of those losses was due to anything but poor pilotage and/or poor weather judgment. The aircraft never entered the equation.

If I was interested in safety, I would join a book club.

OK, sorry to interrupt your Vx/Vy 101 studies, as it's clear that you're having a hard time with them. And good luck on selling that story that "it wasn't me it was the checklist" that had them reversed.

Go back to sleep, old man. Let the pilots talk in peace.

OK, sorry to interrupt your Vx/Vy 101 studies, as it's clear that you're having a hard time with them. And good luck on selling that story that "it wasn't me it was the checklist" that had them reversed.

Zzzzz... Don't you have some pills to take, or something? :rolleyes:

Normally I'd be asleep by now, but the entertainment value of your continued ineptitude is too good to miss.

Zzzzz... Don't you have some pills to take, or something? :rolleyes:

Certified helicopters is a growing and profitable sector of the GA market. Much, much more so than E-AB

OK, time for a summation on this thread, then I'm off for a little cross country flight to South Korea.

Jay, you could have used almost any small GA aircraft in your original postings on the "zoom climb" technique and it would have been met by the same criticism. It was without merit and not even using accurate data or techniques. Even by your own (eventual) admission you weren't properly recording parameters nor were you using the proper terminology in the results. Sorry, there are many professional pilots here as well as non professionals that have way more expertise in this field than you would ever achieve and when they tried to correct you or question your methods you dug in even deeper, then we get this "You guys are racist against experimental" thread (sorry, racist is my word).

You have exemplified why so many take negative attitudes towards EAB. If you refuse to use time tested techniques and even the proper terminology in your "flight testing" is there little wonder why people meet your post with skepticism? You have done the EAB community a huge disservice by carrying on like this. The same disservice that others have done by being so condescending towards anyone who doesn't agree EAB is the only way to go.

Last edited:
OK, time for a summation on this thread, then I'm off for a little cross country flight to South Korea.

Jay, you could have used almost any small GA aircraft in your original postings on the "zoom climb" technique and it would have been met by the same criticism. It was without merit and not even using accurate data or techniques. Even by your own (eventual) admission you weren't properly recording parameters nor were you using the proper terminology in the results. Sorry, there are many professional pilots here as well as non professionals that have way more expertise in this field than you would ever achieve and when they tried to correct you or question your methods you dug in even deeper, then we get this "You guys are racist against experimental" thread (sorry, racist is my word).

You have exemplified why so many take negative attitudes towards EAB. If you refuse to use time tested techniques and even the proper terminology in your "flight testing" is there little wonder why people meet your post with skepticism? You have done the EAB community a huge disservice by carrying on like this. The same disservice that others have done by being so condescending towards anyone who doesn't agree EAB is the only way to go.

Wrong thread. Go spew your bile in the "12 Seconds to Pattern Altitude" thread.

See my post on the reasons GA is dying. The wussification of America is at the top of the list.

I have zero interest in the relative "safety" of experimental aircraft versus certificated aircraft. I have lost several friends in aviation, and not one of those losses was due to anything but poor pilotage and/or poor weather judgment. The aircraft never entered the equation.

If I was interested in safety, I would join a book club.

You can spin this anyway you want but I live in numbers and they ain't in your favor. No question the pilot plays the major role in any aviation accident no matter the equipment. Take that out of the equation and the numbers still favor certificated.

You don't get the kind of performance that exp planes produce without some higher risk. I'm a proponent of exp planes, in fact I've flown a number of them and enjoyed every one. I like the segment of exp planes, and like to see it grow.

Anecdotal experience aside, the plain fact is that exp planes are more dangerous than cert - all other factors being equal. You don't care about it, but many others do, and it bears investigating.

You can spin this anyway you want but I live in numbers and they ain't in your favor. No question the pilot plays the major role in any aviation accident no matter the equipment. Take that out of the equation and the numbers still favor certificated.

You don't get the kind of performance that exp planes produce without some higher risk. I'm a proponent of exp planes, in fact I've flown a number of them and enjoyed every one. I like the segment of exp planes, and like to see it grow.

Anecdotal experience aside, the plain fact is that exp planes are more dangerous than cert - all other factors being equal. You don't care about it, but many others do, and it bears investigating.

You misunderstand me. I'm not spinning ANYTHING, and I'm not saying anything is safer, less safe, or unsafe. I honestly don't care if one type of aircraft is "safer" than another. It is irrelevant to me.

You can spin this anyway you want but I live in numbers and they ain't in your favor ... the plain fact is that exp planes are more dangerous than cert - all other factors being equal. You don't care about it, but many others do, and it bears investigating.

Okay, I am biased towards EAB (experimental - amateur built) and I'll admit it, but this argument is a bit off. Not entirely wrong, just off enough to bear discussion.

So, the accident rate for EAB is higher than for certified aircraft, the data is pretty clear on that. But the data is also pretty clear (I believe Ron Wanttaja has demonstrated) that:
1) The first hours flown by a new EAB impacts the overall experimental safety statistics significantly (25% of ALL experimental accidents occur when the aircraft has less than 50 hours) , and
2) Non-builders who purchase experimental's and who do not get transition training greatly impact the safety statistics for EAB (Ron makes a great argument, but I'm not smart enough to summarize it well).

So, you can talk "data" all day long, but if you avoid two key risks that are well known and identified, you change the nature of the risk you are facing. It simply isn't "spin" to say that avoiding two key risks, lowers the risk of the activity. Safety of EAB has been examined closely. I don't think there is a valid argument that EAB are more safe, but I think there is pretty compelling evidence that is isn't as unsafe as a quick glace at the data indicates IF you are wise and AVOID a few key risk factors.

That said, the progress made in the 40 years between the Cherokee and RV designs is amazing. The Cherokee design is solid, unexciting, and decidedly old school, with cable controls and the aerodynamic sophistication of a work boot, while the -8 is simple, clean, and nimble, with wonderfully harmonized pushrod controls.

There is nothing new about push rod controls, nor do they offer any inherent benefits over cable controls as for flight characteristics.

POF, the Mooney has push rod controls and flys like a dump truck.. Even a Pathfinder is better "harmonized."

The Viking has cable controls and is the most graceful of all production singles to fly.

It is not cable/push rod selection which make for great feel, it is aerodynamics. No wonder you are confused.

So I guess sitting behind an automated aircraft for 13 hours at a time is supposed to impress us? Nah. :nonod: You misread, misunderstood and misrepresent what Jay said. Not useful. Stick to trying to stay awake while you rack up all these so-called hours you like to think make your opinion so valuable......

Back