Transition from KLN 94 to a Garmin GNS530W

Kaye

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
iPlaneless
The Trinnie owner is seriously considering changing out the KLN94 for the WAAS capable Garmin. If he does, he wants to do it during the annual, which is scheduled for the last 2 weeks of April and hopefully a return to service by May 9th. I plan to leave on my diddy-bopping western journey on May 30th with plans to visit many states that haven’t seen my airplane, and a final landing at Gaston’s before heading home.

Does anyone have experience transitioning from one to the other. I’ve grown up on the KLN’s and only have a tiny bit of experience with the Garmin. I’ll have 2 weeks to familiarize/train on the new equipment. Is that enough? My thinking is that my wx minimums will definitely go up due to the minimal experience, but long x-ctry’s are also a great way to get really familiar with equipment. My schedule is completely flexible, so there's no pressure. And then when I pick up Tony on my way to Gaston’s, he can drill me some more. :yes:

What’s your thoughts? The owner is willing to delay the installation if I’m uncomfortable with the timing.

Kay the 530 WAAS is a nice box and pretty user friendly. You can practice either of the WAAS approaches into KLOM for the flybq ( although not yet certified) I predict you will have NO problemo

Kaye:

You should download the Garmin simulator (free) at

http://www8.garmin.com/include/SimulatorPopup.html

If you spend several hours just learning the "switchology" of the unit- where to expect what function to be- you'll have no trouble with it. I would agree that, if you intend to fly any approaches using the 530 as primary nav source (GPS apps), you should practice some, both on the computer and in the airplane.

I have flown with the 430/530 family and with KLN94 GPS boxes, and I think you'll have little trouble making the transition.

You can start flying the 530W today, with a pc-based simulator downloadable (for free) from garmin.com . You can get the manual there, too.
-harry

Review the manual and play with the simulator, as has already been mentioned. Then go up in the plane with at least a safety pilot and preferably an instructor who has experience with the 530W and try it out. As others have said, it's pretty user friendly, but there is a LOT there, much more than you're accustomed to, and it will take you a while to become as comfortable with it as you are with the KLN94.

The simulator and manual are useful, but not even close to being adequate as training tools. If you really want to learn how to use a Garmin 530W with no prior 430/530 experience, I strongly recommend Electronic Flight Solutions' 430/530 training CD, available for $50 less from Sporty's than it is from EFS. http://www.sportys.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?Product_ID=9522&DID=19 Every one of my clients who's tried it, loved it.

Kaye, I second Ron's advice.

Work that training CD, and then go up and shoot a couple of approaches in the plane with a safety pilot just for the sake of confidence. It won't be difficult at all - the 530 is MUCH more "verbose" than the -94, so there should be less confusion about what is going on.

I have a video (produced by Garmin) which you are welcome to borrow, if you like. It is for the 430/530 (no W), but remains accurate in nearly all material respects.

I have a video (produced by Garmin) which you are welcome to borrow, if you like. It is for the 430/530 (no W), but remains accurate in nearly all material respects.
Videos are great, but that training CD is truly interactive and therefore a more effective training tool. Worth $150 more than a free video from Spike? Dunno.

Videos are great, but that training CD is truly interactive and therefore a more effective training tool. Worth $150 more than a free video from Spike? Dunno.

The training video is accurate, and useful, Ron, but I have to say that it is duller than dirt to watch.

So, if the training software is interactive and interesting... it's probably worth money.

I learned GPS's on the KLN-94 in the 310, 182 and 172 SP and used it for several hundred hrs before getting into the Garmin 500 series in the KA. I didn't really have that hard a time figuring out the 500/530. It is as easy to use as the 94. but I did spend some time with the cd trainer, just to familiarize myself with the patterns of the 500.
Going back to the 94 after not having used it in almost a year and a half was interesting. But still not a tough transition.

Never hurts to avail yourself of what ever training aids you can muster together.

Thanks, everyone. I think I'll plan on the CD Ron referenced. And of course I'd planned on some approaches with my CFII tormentor :)D).

So far, the timing of installation from the quotes that the owner is getting isn't jiving with timing of the annual, so I may still be on the 94 come June. The owner is really trying to minimize down time on the airplane, which I truly appreciate, especially since we're looking at the summer/fall flying season if it can't be installed in April.

KLN....whats that..?:dunno: I been flying 530's for years. My last bird had dualing 530's, this one has a 530 and 430.

Forgetaboutit.........the 530 IS by far the easiest to drive.:yes:

Like others said, get the sim and drive it for a while.....:goofy:

Like others said, get the sim and drive it for a while.....:goofy:
I've had clients who had done just that. Generally speaking, they gained only a small percentage of the knowledge needed to effectively employ a 530 under IFR. YMMV.

I've had clients who had done just that. Generally speaking, they gained only a small percentage of the knowledge needed to effectively employ a 530 under IFR. YMMV.

That's not surprising. IME the vast majority of 430/530 users have never understood more than about 10% of the GPS's capabilities.

OTOH, I believe that it is possible to master almost any GPS or other bit of avionics to whatever level of competence one wishes simply be reading the manual, working with a simulator if possible, "flying" the unit on the ground, and practicing with it in the air. Perhaps not the most efficient method of learning a complex piece of gear, but generally sufficient.

OTOH, I believe that it is possible to master almost any GPS or other bit of avionics to whatever level of competence one wishes simply be reading the manual, working with a simulator if possible, "flying" the unit on the ground, and practicing with it in the air. Perhaps not the most efficient method of learning a complex piece of gear, but generally sufficient.
I believe you're correct -- it's possible. However, my experience suggests most pilots will learn more, faster, using a quality training tool like the one I mentioned.

Kaye:

I'll be in Greenville, SC in mid March for 'bout a week helping my Daughter after her second Daughter is born. Should be able to break away once or twice if you can get down that-a-way in-between baby sittin duties. If you can come, you can get some right seat time in front of a 430/530 panel if that could help.

If you can get a Garmin 396 or 496 to play with a bit, there are a lot of similarities once you learn Garmineese <g>

Best,

Dave

Kaye:

I'll be in Greenville, SC in mid March for 'bout a week helping my Daughter after her second Daughter is born. Should be able to break away once or twice if you can get down that-a-way in-between baby sittin duties. If you can come, you can get some right seat time in front of a 430/530 panel if that could help.

If you can get a Garmin 396 or 496 to play with a bit, there are a lot of similarities once you learn Garmineese <g>

Best,

Dave

Dave,

I was looking at my Outlook calendar yesterday and saw that I blocked out some time in mid-March as vacation. Couldn't remember where/what I was going to do, but I must've known you were going to take me flying.:D Let me know as time gets closer as I'd love to get together for at least lunch. And what better deal can that be if I get to go flying with you, too!!!

Kaye

Dave,

I was looking at my Outlook calendar yesterday and saw that I blocked out some time in mid-March as vacation. Couldn't remember where/what I was going to do, but I must've known you were going to take me flying.:D Let me know as time gets closer as I'd love to get together for at least lunch. And what better deal can that be if I get to go flying with you, too!!!

Kaye
K, Kaye! Some of it is up to Mother Nature, but I'm plannin on bein out there for 'bout a week and will certainly let you know when I can pin things down. Would love to link up with any other POAer while out that-a-way.

Best,

Dave

Dave, Let us know when you're headed this way when your visit firms up. Sue and I are always ready to check out a new Greenville restaurant. Or you could stop here.

Back