Transient Parking at Santa Barbara KSBA

James Darren

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
James Darren
Hi all,
Besides the FBO's (Atlantic, Signature, etc), is there any short term transient parking at KSBA for singles? I'm thinking around 2-3 hours.

Landed at KSBA a few years ago on a commercial xc requirement flight. Hit the self serve fuel, then taxi'd over to Atlantic as I thought I'd go grab some lunch real quick. Nobody out to park me, so I parked as far out as I could so as to not be in the way. Walked into the FBO and was greeted with a request for $20 or $25 parking fee. Told her no thanks, I'm leaving. Took off right away and never heard from them again. I know I didn't buy fuel from them, but I thought it was pretty crappy. Ramp was empty, parked myself way out in the middle of nowhere, walked in, didn't bother anybody.

Nowadays, I avoid Atlantic just as a matter of principle. I probably shouldn't, because they never sent me a bill but I still do. The entire encounter could have made a loyal customer, instead it left a sour taste.

Just buy fuel from whoever and you won't have to pay their "trespass fee."

I used to go to The Elephant Bar and park at Signature.

I was expected to buy seven gallons of very expensive 100LL to avoid the landing fee.

Since the Elephant Bar closed I have flown in there a few times and parked and fueled at Signature.

They were very generous with their airport car and I drove into town for lunch.

I would fly into KSBA to pick up my daughter who was a student at UCSB to bring her home. If I did a quick turn it was always $20.

You can ***** and complain about it, or realize that at an airport that must provide security since they have a passenger terminal they do have overhead.

Besides you get some water and coffee and a cookie for your $20

When I fly with a Angel Flight they waive the fee at Atlantic.

For those trying to avoid the fees there are a few tricks the locals can tell you. Make prior arrangements with one of the business on the field and park in front of them for an hour or two if they will let you.

I never did it, I paid my $20, got my free cookies and took off. Also the staff was accomadating at several times offered free rides to my daughter back to her apartment if her roommate was unavailable to pick her up.

Also Atlantic is a short walk away from the Beach Café. Nice food and it's right on the beach. Atlantic will offer to drive you, but if you walk it gives you a reason to say yes to the cheesecake!

G.

I haven't been to KSBA, but my experience with Atlantic in general has been that they are friendly and the service is good, but they are generally expensive. Probably par for the course. I don't mind using them in general, but Cutter is my favorite FBO. They aren't nearly as widespread as Atlantic though.

The E Bar has closed? Horrors. Man, at least I have the amazing memories of that place!

Gary, not one of airports with Pt 121 service have I been required to pay a landing fee.

I dislike ramp fees as much as anyone, but they are here to stay. My take on them is the at many metro or destination airports the local government charges very high rent and fees to the FBO's. The FBO's end up being less competitive on fuel prices, selling less fuel, yet they are expected to have big shiny expensive facilities for the jet set. :dunno:
Personally, I call ahead, find out what they charge and their fuel price. 90% of the time, I'll buy the minimum amount of fuel vs paying the fee, and I always eat a cookie or two! :D
I do tend to avoid Signature and Atlantic if there are other options on a field.;)

My experience is that Atlantic is always cheaper then Signature.

Currently at SBA at Signature for 100LL is selling for $6.77 per gallon.

Atlantic at SBA has 100LL selling for $6.99 per gallon.

As a reference point at my home airport of Santa Maria full serve 100LL is $4.89 per gallon and self-serve is $4.24 per gallon.

So in other words it costs me $13.16 more than SMX to buy the seven gallons to wave the fee to park at Signature and use their airport car and enjoy the hospitality.

Self-serve is $4.08 at Oceano and San Luis Obispo.

I have a son at UCSB and I always use Atlantic. I have never had a bad experience.

Atlantic's location at KSBA rocks. Buy a small amount of fuel and no fee. That, and only once in 10 trips was there not a free crew car...a NICE one...an Infinity.

Best of all...it's a 10 min walk to the Beach Cafe on the Beach. My favorite day trip is KWHP to KSBA, walk to beach, chill, have lunch, come home.

Buying a small amount of fuel to get the location and the car - Priceless! (If anyone's going tomorrow, see you there in my Cirrus - N371CD.)

I just don't get it. If you want to fly to and park at a nicely located airport, pay the fee. If you want to fly on the cheap, pick your spots and do it.

Somewhat off topic, but Atlantic is probably my favorite FBO to use, and I will use them whenever I can. In Tulsa, I can park my plane on their ramp, get cookies, coffee, water, borrow the courtesy car for four hours, all for $40. Flew in there one night, the guy behid the counter recognized me, and told me he would cover the $40 for me...made me a loyal customer! Love it:)

I just don't get it. If you want to fly to and park at a nicely located airport, pay the fee. If you want to fly on the cheap, pick your spots and do it.

I don't either. The price of admission at Disneyland will set you back more. Flying isn't a cheap hobby, but for me, SBA is a 7 hour drive or a 2 1/2 flight. The fees are worth it. If I were looking for a hamburger, it might be a different story (but maybe not, it is a great location).

The airport just signed a new operator for the old Elephant Bar, should be open in 6 months.

The E Bar has closed? Horrors. Man, at least I have the amazing memories of that place!

Gary, not one of airports with Pt 121 service have I been required to pay a landing fee.

E bar has fell into bankruptcy problems....they closed a bunch in California. Not easy to business here.

Can't say I blame them.

Back