Transcontinental by Archer (Boston to LA)

Bedtime here. Stay tuned for more!

Ain’t Sedona cool. You had pretty good vis over the Grand Canyon, it was a bit more hazy when I did it a few years ago. Waiting to see what’s next. Kudo’s to Schuyler for not gettin ya lost.

Fantastic pics! Very cool.

Awesome! :) Flying across the country and/or spending some time in the mountain west via GA is one of the better experiences you can have in life. Glad to see another aviator making it happen.

Mid to late June is the beginning of the monsoon (daily convective weather...at times severe) season in AZ, so you would have be build in flexibility for that. Generally, there is not much of a problem before noon. Tuscon > Deming > El Paso > West Texas is pretty easy. I would consider assembling some sort of emergency kit (communications, a bit of extra water, etc.)

An Archer is a pretty capable airplane even in the higher density altitude areas of the mountain west but you still need to respect it. I think it makes a lot of sense to plan to stay under max gross weight at least for the higher elevation portions.

Winds can sometimes be an issue as well. If the winds aloft are greater than 20-25 kts near mountain ridges, expect a rough ride. My personal rule is to cross any ridges with about 2000 feet to spare if possible. I also tend to follow roads more in the event of an emergency.

I strongly suggest calling an FBO at any mountainous airport or nearby passage you plan to transit, and talk to a local pilot familiar with the terrain and winds. Must consider how the passage winds affect you. Be prepared

Fantastic!
Exploring new places is the best best best...

Back