Transceiver Recommendation?

mattaxelrod

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Matt
I'm looking at the low end transceivers and I'd love some opinions. Any preference between Vertex and Icom? Alkaline batteries versus NiCd rechargeable? I've decided I must have a headset adaptor (since it'd never be practical in my cockpit otherwise in a real radio failure). Flightessentials is including a free headset adaptor with the Icom 6 sport, which looks like a good deal.

Thanks for any info you can give.
Matt

I use alkaline batteries and change the batteries when I change the oil. Nicads will drain if you don't use/recharge 'em, which means when you pull it out and the chips are down, it'll be dead, according to Murphy.

mattaxelrod said:
I'm looking at the low end transceivers and I'd love some opinions. Any preference between Vertex and Icom? Alkaline batteries versus NiCd rechargeable? I've decided I must have a headset adaptor (since it'd never be practical in my cockpit otherwise in a real radio failure). Flightessentials is including a free headset adaptor with the Icom 6 sport, which looks like a good deal.

Matt

I'm not familiar with the new radios. I have an old STS7600VOR from shortly after the Wright Brothers. It still works very well but the battery pack is toast and I'm still trying to find a alkaline type pack for it (out of business dagnabit)

Definitely go with an alkaline battery pack that you can install something like rechargeable AA's or whatever the radio equivalent is. The moulded sealed nicad packs are nice but once they're done, it's over. They do not last forever and it's near impossible to do anything with them when they die.

Headset adaptor: Mandatory don't leave home without it
PTT: Optional but highly recommended
External antenna: Highly recommended (external on the aircraft is best or at least one that sticks to the inside of the windows with suction cups) Antenna position is the difference between <2 miles and 10 miles.

Spend the extra few $$ if necessary and get a good one vs saving a few $$ and finding out it's useless when you need it.

I have the JRC 520 & it is great. I have used the icom & the sporty's, etc... All work well.

As far as the "Nav" part, the sporty's is the only one that will pick up a LOC, the rest that have navs will only do a VOR.

You Need the headset adapter to use any in flight.

If you have a way to hook it to an outside ant, It will work as good as your panel in flight. With the ducky ant, Expect shorter range.

I use a NiCad pack in my GPS. Because I use it every night, It works great and lasts.

I have gone through 2 NiCad packs for my JRC & it is dead again.
If you keep it hooked up it fries, If you let is sit, it dies. If you just top it off, it dies. If you leave it dead, it won't hold a charge. The ONLY way to keep a NiCad pack going is to drain it & charge it at least 2-3 time a week. Regular batteries is the only way to go if you are not going to use it all the time.

mattaxelrod said:

Matt

I have a Yaesu (Vertex) handheld and an old King (KX-99). One problem I have with the Yaesu is that it easily overloads when attached to an external antenna when you are in the air within 20 miles of a high power radio broadcast site. The King and AFaIK Icom do not have this problem. One other thing about the Yaesu I'm not too fond of is that changing the squelch level is fairly complicated (you can break squelch at any time with a dedicated button).

WRT batteries, it depends on your intended use. For a backup, alkalines are preferred for two reasons. One is that they have a much longer shelf life (years vs weeks for NiCad). The other is that NiCads and most other dry rechargables produce nearly the same voltage from beginning to end of charge. This might seem like a good thing (and it is as far as performance goes) but it means that the batteries will completely die about 15 seconds after you get the first low battery warning, and it's very difficult to determine the state of charge on the recharables.

OTOH if you plan to use the radio a lot (getting clearances, ATIS etc) and/or use it as your primary comm in an airplane without an electrical system, rechargables are the only way to go. I actually have both types for the Yaesu, I normally run on rechargables but have a spare battery pack loaded with alkalines for emergency use. The alkaline battery holder doesn't cost all that much and it's great insurance.

Some sort of headset adapter is essential.

One more thing--in some of the spec's, it says 5w output (PEP) and 1.5 w (CW). I have no idea what those things mean, other than 5 w is supposed to be the maximum possible in a handheld.

I think there both good radios. I basically shopped price and ended up with Vertex (Yaesu). I use the nicad for day to day and keep a fresh akaline pack in the flight bag. So I listen in the hanger, call for gas, get the atis on nicad. One thing on Vertex is the antenna connection is SNA not BNC so you have to use an adapter or get a custom cable for an external antenna.

I own an Icom A23 sport (which simply means alkalines instead of the recharge). It is a nice machine and does it's job well. I highly recommend it.
Ditto with everyone else on the headset adaptor. Way more valuable in the cockpit with it.

Jim G

I have a KX-99 and ICOM IC-A23. Both have NiCd and alkaline battery packs, both have headphone adapters. The ICOM requires a PTT adapter when using headphones. The King didn't need one (radio PTT functioned w/ headphones). The one necessary feature I discovered with the King is a BNC antenna connector. Either the radio has a BNC connection at the antenna base or you want an adapter to convert from the radio's proprietary connection to a BNC connection. King at one point sold an antenna adapter kit that functioned as a splice and switch into the aircraft COM antenna. I have this item installed in the Mooney and the adapter will function with any future BNC connector radio. The splice/switch is a nice feature, but an easily accessible disconnect point beneath the panel would suffice. While the handheld will reach ATC with the rubber ducky antenna, you definitely would prefer to attach the handheld's output to the aircraft antenna.

I have the Sporty's handheld. Works fine, price was right. A headset adapter is absolutely essential if you want to use the radio while airborne. If you are keeping it in your flight bag for emergency use, like I do, alkaline battery packs are the only way to go. Note I said packs, not pack. I have a spare which I keep in the bag loaded with batteries. There is no battery meter on the radio and when (not if) it dies, you really need the backup power now. Then I carry spare batteries. Handy that the radio and some of my flashlights all use AA batteries. I might spring for a window mount for the antenna some day, but I'll probably look at Radio Shack first as it likely will be less expensive that way. Suction cup mount with a female BNC to a male BNC at the other end of the cable is the same thing regardless of where you buy it.

Back