Trans-Atlantic

BenZwebner

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ben Zwebner
Does anyone have experiance / Know where I could get study material for crossing the atlantic with a light aircraft?

Thanks!

I can loan you my Video and materials I got from Sporty's. PM me.

I got offered a ferry flight in February which I declined - I'm not doing that kind of stuff without going along with an expert first. I spent enough time in North Atlantic water when I was in the Coast Guard.

:yesnod:

The book or the movie?

The BOOK!

The movie is a bad cartoon. Well, seeing the replica Spirit under construction is kind of cool but otherwise it's hollywood BS from start to finish

Yeah, I liked the movies for the visuals, but the scene where they fry those fish with the acetylene torch is unsettling...

denny-o

The BOOK!

The movie is a bad cartoon. Well, seeing the replica Spirit under construction is kind of cool but otherwise it's hollywood BS from start to finish

I think Jimmy Stewart did a commendable job. Some of the flashback flying scenes were good, too.

Apparently Stewart insisted that they ax the fly in the cockpit (which Lindbergh never mentioned).

They used to stuff they had but cut out the fly dialogue scenes after St Johns.

Just gaining a better idea of what would be involved to move an aircraft.

It really depends on what specific aircraft you are going to fly. Will you be needing ferry tanks or will you be able to do it with what is already installed? Also picking the right time of year to do this is essential. The weather changes fast and can be very unpredictable in the north atlantic.

There is a lot of info, links, tips, books, stories, from people who have done it a lot at this site: Earthrounders

Last edited:
Back