Training time for tailwheel endorsement

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
In the vein of all the other "how long" questions, how many hours did it take to get your tail wheel endorsement, for those who are not grandfathered in?
Greg

12 hrs and counting.... just looking for a strong crosswind and a greaser wheel landing.

Missa

Missa said:
12 hrs and counting.... just looking for a strong crosswind and a greaser wheel landing.

Missa

as opposed to the ever impressive belly landings. :goofy:

gkainz said:
In the vein of all the other "how long" questions, how many hours did it take to get your tail wheel endorsement, for those who are not grandfathered in?

6 hrs of T&G's, and he signed me off. That said, I would consider myself competent operating from a grass strip, but would like more work before operating from hard runways.

Well, my logbook shows 11.6 hours, but we would do things like fly 40 miles to a runway with a direct crosswind and search out new and interesting places to land.

3.1 hours , 17 landings.

10 hrs scared the &%^$# out of myself and still don't feel comfortable.
I don't need to succeed at everything that I think I should, I guess

3 hours and however many landings I could do in that time. It was prior to the need for the endorsement. C-170 in case you wanted to know, Ken. :D

Missa said:
just looking for a strong crosswind and a greaser wheel landing.

Missa

Me Too

50 years and counting

Ken Ibold said:
Jeez, what kind of taildragger?
PA-12 Super Cruiser

I haven't flown a different tailwheel yet, So I'm hoping that the super cruiser was tricky enough so I won't get a rude awakening some day

jangell said:
I haven't flown a different tailwheel yet, So I'm hoping that the super cruiser was tricky enough so I won't get a rude awakening some day
Well, everyone is different, but I would be hard-pressed to allow anyone to land my airplane who did not have at least 25 hours/150 landings in taildraggers. More if conditions were challenging.

Ken Ibold said:
Well, everyone is different, but I would be hard-pressed to allow anyone to land my airplane who did not have at least 25 hours/150 landings in taildraggers. More if conditions were challenging.

I certainly understand your view. Infact, I'd say the same thing if not more if it was my plane.

The owner of the aircraft though checked me out and said that I'm the only person in 20 years, who he has ever checked out / endorsed in under 6 hours. Most at least 10.

He said there was one exception, a captain of a precesion flying team did it in 3 also.

It won't take me long before I build up tailwheel time, As it will be all I fly until winter sets in and that field closes. Then I'll be at them again in the spring.

gkainz said:
Greg

1 Hr in a Citabria 10 years ago.

jangell said:
PA-12 Super Cruiser

Hate to burst your bubble, but the PA-12 is very docile. Climb into a C-188 by yourself, and you will be in for an awakening, especially one where the tailwheel wires are loose and the detent is non existant.

Henning said:
Hate to burst your bubble, but the PA-12 is very docile. Climb into a C-188 by yourself, and you will be in for an awakening, especially one where the tailwheel wires are loose and the detent is non existant.

nah. I flew that in flight sim. I'll be alright.

..joking. Obviously I won't jump into any plane if there is any question that me or the aircraft would be in jeporady.

4 hours with two different instructors. Tailwheel talent is a vanishing commodity. Have now got about 100 hours in the Cessna 140 and a variety of other types.

bbchien said:
4 hours with two different instructors. Tailwheel talent is a vanishing commodity. Have now got about 100 hours in the Cessna 140 and a variety of other types.

Hah! Finally, something (that flies) I've got more time in than Dr. Bruce. 275 taildragger hours and counting.

I was grandfathered in, but IIRC it took me about 5 hrs of pretty much nothing but landings and takeoffs in a Starduster Too biplane to get turned loose by myself. That was after a few hours of towing gliders in a Super Cub including maybe 10 landings a year before.

Henning said:

Boy, that is an understatement.
The first hour in a C-188 made me look as if I'de never been in a taildragger, and that was after more that 50 hours in each of J-3, 7AC, GCBC, 8E, C-170 and over a 1000 in an M-4 maule. I like the 188.

I have about 10 hrs in travel time and never evem got off the ground. I can not find someone with a TW plane I can fit in for an endorsement. Being big stinks sometimes.

It took me around 5 hours in the Champ. Was up in it yesterday. After a bit more than a month, boy was I rusty! Amazing how much more stick and rudder skill is required to make that plane look good landing.

Jim G

grattonja said:
It took me around 5 hours in the Champ. Was up in it yesterday. After a bit more than a month, boy was I rusty! Amazing how much more stick and rudder skill is required to make that plane look good landing.

Jim G

I learned to fly on conventional gear, from the back seat. and never got an endorsement, Almost every aircraft I have owned has had the little wheel in the back.. I still practice and practice, some day I'll get it down pat. But until then I'll practice and practice. maybe some day some one will sign me off.

Took me about 17. Spent most of the last 10 looking for a decent crosswind, and some of the rest doing "energy management techniques". :) (Ohhhh, so THAT'S what the ground looks like from that angle...)

I was enjoying myself, so I didn't care how many hours I racked up before the CFI left me alone.

Carolyn

Michael said:
as opposed to the ever impressive belly landings. :goofy:

Ha Ha Ha.... for me to do a belly landing something would have to be really wrong with the landing gear... all the planes I fly they are down and welded.

Seriously, Michael do you have any tailwheel time? There are two types of landings in a tail wheel: 3 point where, you guessed it, you land on all three wheels at the same time (or as best as you can manage, in a crosswind often it's only two: upwind main and tail with the other main shortly after) and wheel landings where you land only on the mains then hold the tail up until you run out of airspeed and elevator movement and it settles to the runway.

My instructor is fairly picky and wants to make sure anyone he signs off will be comfortable in most tailwheels on any surface on any landing. I need a hardsurface runway with a strong x-wind and perform an acceptable wheel landing before he'll give me the sign off.

Oh and like Razor said, some of that time has been spent in "energy management techniques", I don't care about how much time I spend in training as long as I'm having fun and learning something.

Missa

Licketysplit said:
Boy, that is an understatement.
The first hour in a C-188 made me look as if I'de never been in a taildragger, and that was after more that 50 hours in each of J-3, 7AC, GCBC, 8E, C-170 and over a 1000 in an M-4 maule. I like the 188.

The Husky is ok if you have a Boll Weavil contract, outside of that it doesn't haul enough to make good money with anymore, maybe potatoes or sunflowers.

Henning said:
The Husky is ok if you have a Boll Weavil contract, outside of that it doesn't haul enough to make good money with anymore, maybe potatoes or sunflowers.

I see you are at HWO. I got my tailwheel signoff at north perry in a C-170 back in 1988. I looked back at my logbook and can you believe my first lesson was at night. Anyway, HWO was a cool place and I have good memories of it. It could get interesting around there mixing with the banner guys at aerial sign co.

I am embarrassed to say how many hours it took me. The flying was easy. It was the landings in March winds in Hendersonville, NC, that almost overdosed me with humility. Cessna 170.

5 hours, 25 or so landings in a Decathlon, most x-wind.

Greg
CFII

Back