Training Software

JeremyScott

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Jeremy Scott
Is there a simulation that you guys recomend? Ive played around with Microsoft's but didnt know if there was something else around. Also is there a good technical program?

Jeremy,

I am a MSFS addict. I have the 2004 version and I fly on VATSIM (www.vatsim.net) regularly. The sim itself, while not being a good substitute for actual "meat-in-the-seat" time, is helfpful as a procedural trainer (do the Lessons, and suffer through Rod Machado's "humor", they do help). VATSIM was incredible helpful in learning the radio procedures and getting used to talking on the radio.

I agree with Kent about X-Plane. Ron's question is a very good one, though. I personally don't think desktop sims are good for much except instrument training. They also make you develop bad habits for VFR flight -- your eyes should be outside the cockpit, not on the instruments. YMMV...

Jeremy,

I am a MSFS addict. I have the 2004 version and I fly on VATSIM (www.vatsim.net) regularly. The sim itself, while not being a good substitute for actual "meat-in-the-seat" time, is helfpful as a procedural trainer (do the Lessons, and suffer through Rod Machado's "humor", they do help). VATSIM was incredible helpful in learning the radio procedures and getting used to talking on the radio.

Why FS2004 and not FSX ? Just curious, I'm just starting to become interested in the MSFS products. I've mainly used Elite simulators, so MSFS is new to me.

Most of the add-on planes that I've purchased with FS2004 won't work with FSX and I don't want to buy them again, plus I think I might have to upgrade my computer a bit to get the full performance out of FSX.

Back