Training Sessions

lsimonds

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Lisa Simonds
Hi all, I haven't posted here in a long time, please forgive. Too much worky work.

I'm working toward a CFI, and I'm thinking about lessons plans and training sessions and all such things.

For my personal edification, nothing else, I'm interesting in learning about gaps between curriculum and execution, from CFIs, CFIIs, and students. Things like how many lessons (not hours) it took to get that certificate or rating. Things like what the road blocks or at least speed bumps were. That kind of thing.

I went back through my first log book and tallied my own lessons up. It was a trip down memory lane and there were some details there I'd forgotten. I was such a timid student; I really didn't get the flick til awhile after I got my certificate.

Anyway, I'm a big believer in learning from people's experiences, so if you want to blog away about your personal experience in any level of training, I'm all ears.

Thanks in advance if you choose to respond, and happy flying!

Lisa Simonds
Fort Worth, TX

Time and scheduling have hindered me more than anything. Second place would be CFI pet peeves and different teaching styles.

So I guess my answer is non-helpful unless you've figured out a way to get a large population of professional instructors to all use one standard syllabus nationwide. ;)

unless you've figured out a way to get a large population of professional instructors to all use one standard syllabus nationwide. ;)

This sort of exists already. I am doing my private training at a Part 141 school (Flying Club at NAS Jacksonville) and they follow a 26-part Jeppesen syllabus that lays out the entire training program very neatly from start to finish. One syllabus typically equates to one flight/lesson. Unless you're like me and you can't land to save your life and you spend 10 lessons on syllabus 9. Doh!

(Also, my first post to PoA!)

If one focuses strictly on performing to the PTS or a syllabus, sometimes one misses the forest for the trees. One reason it's good to fly with an old, crusty CFI is that person likely knows that you are learning ground reference maneuvers not like the compulsory figures in a ice skating or gymnastics but because the skills and techniques learned there are applied directly to the landing pattern. Same with stalls. Too many CFIs and examiners take a maneuver out of context and while the student may master the lesson the student doesn't appreciate how the skills being taught are applicable to typical flying after the certificate is obtained.
Another issue it the student and CFI needing to understand and be able to communicate. I remember when I was working on the commercial, I could not for the life of me get the entry to the chandelle correct. Finally, a crusty old CFI pointed out that I was not compensating properly for P-factor as I turned and raised the nose. Duh! From then on I was able to do it well. So, being able to see where the student is hanging up and helping the student from their perspective makes for faster, better learning.

It's also helpful to know the background of said student as well. I'll spare all the gory details of my 200+ hours of "learning to fly" but I had no extra curricular activites in my youth and so my hand-eye coordination was quite poor and so landing took like 40 hours all by itself. But eventually it started clicking and I got to reading about the stuff and understanding why we did the things just like Jim said. I want to know why we do a turn around a point not just be good at it (which I finally am) I think taking some time to do some "get to know you" coffee talk would be helpful for you in establishing a lesson plan for the student. If the student always went flying since they were 2 with their grandfather and now they want their license that'll be a lot faster for you.

I am just completing Bell 407 training here at Fort Worth. It was may first experience at a factory school, and worth every cent (not that I'm paying for it but still worth the high cost:rolleyes:) This thread fits into what I also been thinking about also becoming a CFI. I would like to help people and encourage them to keep up their desire to get a cert. In the past receiving training on fixed wing and rotor wing stuff it seems like the instructor/student relationship is the most important thing. The past week was a joy because I was learning so much and I kept my mind open. This has been different than the past year getting my commercial single and multi engine.....I don't like to talk negative about CFI's because we are all in this aviation thing together. If I become a CFI and I can help a couple people get their cert. or make their flying safer, it would be worth it for me. Also you have to think about adding a new dimension to your flying, becoming an instructor. I will have to want till things slow down but maybe this fall it might happen.

Last edited:
Hi, Lisa -

It's a good thing to ponder how you might teach this or that to your students...but in a way it's like figuring out how you're going to act on a blind date: It depends a lot on who you're teaching (or dating). In a very real way, a flying lesson is an information exchange. Instructor does their best to impart the elements of a lesson, and the student gives lots of feedback to the instructor (most of it non-verbal). If the student isn't progressing, the instructor might have to utilize plan B. In other words, you might both be scratching your head!

Experienced flight intructors will tell you that ocasionally, the magic just doesn't work, for myriad reasons, and despite the best efforts of their teacher, the poor student is overwhelmed and doesn't learn a thing - In the traffic pattern, for instance, you've attempted 3 or 4 touch and goes and the poor student is clearly not displaying improvement, (they're getting worse) sometimes it's best to taxi back to the ramp and tie down the airplane...and then go sit on a lawn chair and watch other people land.

A syllabus is a fine way of reminding instructors to stay on task and assure a comprehensive course of training - say, for a particular certificate. But much instruction is not for ratings or certificates. Much of my dual given has been tail wheel transitions and the like. It's about learning to fly, verses getting a rating. And, if you're good at teaching students how to fly, ratings and certificates will be easy for them. Good luck in your endevour.

Somewhere out there I'd swear was some advice, maybe in an INFo or something from the FAA that recommended new CFIs get their start doing flight reviews, complex checkouts, intro flights, and training for advanced ratings like the commercial, or being a "substitute" BEFORE they started teaching primary students on their own.

I think this might be a good idea. It's easier to teach when there's at least a base of fundamental concepts shared between the CFI and the student. I think it helps get your feet wet teaching.

Thank you! Great observations in each post here. Taking "short" work to build a little experience sounds pretty appealing, especially as long as I'm still working a full time job. Lisa

Back