Training out of KVKX

NoVA GA

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
NoVA GA
I recently relocated to northern Virginia from elsewhere in the southeast. I got about 20 hours of instruction received over the spring, but I had to curtail in June due to the move. I'd asked around previously about completing my PPL at Leesburg or Stafford. I just went by KVKX after reading more closely on the MD3 and certainly it would be easier to reach than the other fields I have in mind.

Does anyone have any experience learning at Potomac or Hyde Field?

I was based there on 9/11. I did a BFR with one of their instructors after the DC-3 went into effect. You're going to burn a lot of time with the rigamarole getting in or out of there, but if the field is close to where you live, it could be worth it.

On beechtalk, someone in the same situation as you recently posted about his experience of training at VKX. The thread is titled 'Flight School (and CFI) Recommendation D.C. Area' and started on 7/18/18.

The only limitation on training at VKX is that you can't do any pattern work there. So rather than staying in the pattern, you have a 12 minute flight to 2W5 for your landing practice. The 'rigmarole' consists of a call to flight service to file a two FRZ flight plans and a 30second call to the comms desk at Potomac Approach prior to starting your engine.

Back