Training in the DSM Area

Trapper John

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Bill Burkett
Hello All,

N00b here. I’m looking for flight instruction recommendations in the DSM area.

I started training in ’99-’00 and was just short a night XC and a checkride of getting my private ticket, but a job transfer and some other circumstances derailed that. So, I’m looking to actually finish this time!

What are reasonable rental rates these days? I see there is a local club that has what looks to be a nice looking and nicely equipped fleet. From their website the hourly charge is$54/hr dry for a Cherokee 140 and $79 dry for an Archer. They also had a pretty long list of experienced instructors, which is a plus for me.

The FBO at IKV also has what looks to be a nice rental fleet, and maybe lower hourly rental rates, but no real info on their instructors. IKV is the closest field to me (well, actually Todd Field is closer, but there doesn’t seem to be any training going on there that I can tell; the ag plane traffic is pretty cool, though).

Who/what else is out there? I wouldn’t rule out AMW since it’s pretty close, too. I don’t have pilot career aspirations, I’m doing this for fun. Eventually, I’d like to find a partner or two in a Citabria/Decathlon, so somewhere I could get tailwheel training would be good.

Quality of instruction and scheduling availability are big to me.

Any and all advice welcome.

Thanks,
Trapper John

Talk to Tony C. from this board... he's a CFI in your general area...

Oh, and welcome to POA! Stick around and keep us updated on your training progress!

I'd go for AMW, that's where I learned! Tony is an instructor at Hap's, I'm sure he'll introduce himself shortly. It's a great airport with lots of friendly folks and a pretty good rental fleet (99930 still holds a special place in my heart!). And don't forget the glider people, they're always around there somewhere. I don't know much about what goes on at DSM or IKV, but AMW would be my suggestion. Oh ya, and welcome to POA!

Last edited:
Howdy Trapper John..

Glad to have yet another Iowan on the board (that makes 5-6 of us I think).

As far as central Iowa options:

AMW has a fleet of 5 - 172's that all rent for $85 wet. (I think that's correct, Tony will correct me if I'm off). They also have a 182RG that rents for $115 wet <-- bargain of the century! I personally do all of my renting from AMW.

Tony Condon (I'm sure he'll chime in here very soon) is a CFII at AMW and I know he has had at least a couple of the "finish it up after a long layoff" type of students. He's a great CFII - I did my IR with him a little over a year ago.

The flying club I think you're mentioning is the Des Moines Flying Club? I looked at their setup as well. Up until last year, they were known as "Foxtrot Flying Club", but sold all their planes and revamped the fleet with what they have now. The only problem I have with their rates is that they are all 'dry'. So for the Archer, you would be paying: $79/hr rental + $4.50/gal * 10 gal/hr = $124/hr total. They are very nicely equipped planes, but for my flying budget, I can force myself to fly VOR instead of GPS. ha!

I'm not sure about IKV. It's a really nice airport (with rumors starting to resurface about putting a control tower in). I usually buy my charts there as they have a full deck onhand, but I've never actually rented there.

If you're looking for tailwheel instruction, you'll probably have to go to Knoxville or Pella. I think they both have a Cub of some sort they they will provide dual in, but I'm not sure if they let you solo in the a/c.

Once again.. Welcome to PoA. Hope to see you around the frozen tundra of Iowa!

I'd go for AMW, that's where I learned! Tony is an instructor at Hap's...

Wow, Hap's is a name that goes way back. I grew up at AMW and my dad flew back in the '70s. I remember when Hap took over from Goodrich Aviation, that must have been around '73 or '74. He was quite a guy, a real no-nonsense straight talker. Those were different days, you could buy new Cessnas and Bellancas and there was a guy with a Piper franchise on the other side of the field.

The only problem I have with their rates is that they are all 'dry'. So for the Archer, you would be paying: $79/hr rental + $4.50/gal * 10 gal/hr = $124/hr total. They are very nicely equipped planes, but for my flying budget, I can force myself to fly VOR instead of GPS. ha!

That does seem a little spendy...I was paying $55/hr wet for an old 172E (at my old home field 3GV), but that was 8 or 9 years ago, and it was an oldie with the old mil-surplus gyros, not user friendly, but it wasn't IFR certified anyway.

Thanks for the welcome everybody, I'll look forward to talking to Tony!

Trapper John

Wow, Hap's is a name that goes way back. I grew up at AMW and my dad flew back in the '70s. I remember when Hap took over from Goodrich Aviation, that must have been around '73 or '74. He was quite a guy, a real no-nonsense straight talker. Those were different days, you could buy new Cessnas and Bellancas and there was a guy with a Piper franchise on the other side of the field.

The folks at Hap's are back to running the airport again. Of course Hap is no longer around, but his daughter Diana is the current owner, and her daughter Christa is the desk manager. I've heard lots of stories of Hap, though I never had the honor of meeting him; I started working/flying there about four years after he passed away, I think. Sounds like quite an interesting man.

Hey John, I'll put in another recommendation for Tony and AMW. I rented some planes from IKV a few years ago, they weren't bad, maybe a touch on the more expensive side. The FBO just switched hands so I'm not sure what's changed wrt airplanes or prices. Glad to see another Iowan on here!

The folks at Hap's are back to running the airport again. Of course Hap is no longer around, but his daughter Diana is the current owner, and her daughter Christa is the desk manager. I've heard lots of stories of Hap, though I never had the honor of meeting him; I started working/flying there about four years after he passed away, I think. Sounds like quite an interesting man.

I'm glad the family is still in the business. I spent a lot of years away, but I heard the story about how he was treated when who ever it was got awarded the FBO contract, not cool. I really admire anyone that can make it in the FBO business, it's definitely not an easy way to make a living.

If I remember right, Hap was a bomber pilot in WWII, got shot down and did time in a POW camp. I think he flew in Korea, too. Anyway, he made quite an impression on me way back when...

Trapper John

Hey John, I'll put in another recommendation for Tony and AMW. I rented some planes from IKV a few years ago, they weren't bad, maybe a touch on the more expensive side. The FBO just switched hands so I'm not sure what's changed wrt airplanes or prices. Glad to see another Iowan on here!

Hi Ben,

This Tony guy must have pictures of all 'ya! :D

I just looked at AMW online and realized that they paved (and extended) what used to be the grass runway (1/19). And an ILS, too! Hunnerd foot wide runways - I don't think I'd know what to do with that, our big runway at 3GV was only 44 feet, and the other one was 25 feet.

I saw an artice in the Register that Exec 1 was being bought by Ed Boesen. I don't know why they would need a tower there, I can't believe there's that much activity. Of course, I don't see why some people think a new airport is needed by Waukee or Adel, seems like there's plenty of room for everyone as it is now...

Trapper John

I'm glad the family is still in the business. I spent a lot of years away, but I heard the story about how he was treated when who ever it was got awarded the FBO contract, not cool. I really admire anyone that can make it in the FBO business, it's definitely not an easy way to make a living.

If I remember right, Hap was a bomber pilot in WWII, got shot down and did time in a POW camp. I think he flew in Korea, too. Anyway, he made quite an impression on me way back when...

Yup.. Hap's just won the bid for the FBO as of July last year. It was an interesting turn of events. In general, I think the regular AMW locals were glad to see Hap's back in the forefront.

I only met Hap once or twice, but he seemed like a very interesting character. There's actually a book about him "An Iowa Pilot Named Hap".

Tony Condon.

(Do I get a commission?) :D

I recommend you meet up with Tony Condon. He is by far the best instructor that I have ever received instruction from.

There's actually a book about him "An Iowa Pilot Named Hap".

Thanks! I'll see if I can find a copy on Amazon.

So, how's things at BNW? If that's your RV in the avatar, I'm green with envy! There was a guy at KLXT near 3GV with an RV (-4, I think, maybe a -6). That was truly a thing of beauty and made the Cessnas and Pipers look like farm implements. I know the Beech guys were jealous, too, but they'd never admit it...:)

Trapper John

I recommend you meet up with Tony Condon. He is by far the best instructor that I have ever received instruction from.

Another vote for Tony. Don't let his young age fool ya, he's an excellent instructor. :yes:

It occurs to me that the best instructors I've had are the ones such as Tony who are true students of the craft and learn as much as they can themselves - Then, they have many tidbits of knowledge applying to many situations that they can pass on to their students. :yes:

Another vote for Tony. Don't let his young age fool ya, he's an excellent instructor. :yes:

It occurs to me that the best instructors I've had are the ones such as Tony who are true students of the craft and learn as much as they can themselves - Then, they have many tidbits of knowledge applying to many situations that they can pass on to their students. :yes:
Kent, somehow I think you're going to wind up being another of those, though not quite so young! :no:

Either y'all are really sucking up to Tony or he has something good on the lot of ya! :D

John, Welcome to the board!

well im late to the party.

John - we can take care of you up here in Ames. We've got me and 2 other CFII's working out at Hap's now and between the three of us i see no reason why you shouldn't be able to get your license. Feel free to PM me and we can get something set up, or just call out to Hap's, 515-232-4310, and get something scheduled. I can't guarantee you that I will have time to finish you up. Between my 4 current students and an undergraduate degree in Aerospace Engineering my time is pretty tight. However, ive got several students off solo now so maybe I can fit you in.

and welcome to PoA, come on in the waters fine. you won't find a better pilot community on the web.

AMW has a fleet of 5 - 172's that all rent for $85 wet. (I think that's correct, Tony will correct me if I'm off). They also have a 182RG that rents for $115 wet <-- bargain of the century! I personally do all of my renting from AMW.

correct on both counts Chris.

NO Don't fly with Tony!!! He insists all his students wear that crazy tinfoil hat instead of head sets. He says it helps receive the messages from the intergallatic Space Traffic Control System:rolleyes:

Nah he is a good guy!

NO Don't fly with Tony!!! He insists all his students wear that crazy tinfoil hat instead of head sets. He says it helps receive the messages from the intergallatic Space Traffic Control System:rolleyes:
Man, that's great! I haven't laughed like that in quite a while!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks! I'll see if I can find a copy on Amazon.

So, how's things at BNW? If that's your RV in the avatar, I'm green with envy! There was a guy at KLXT near 3GV with an RV (-4, I think, maybe a -6). That was truly a thing of beauty and made the Cessnas and Pipers look like farm implements. I know the Beech guys were jealous, too, but they'd never admit it...:)

Trapper John

My dad and I built that RV-7A a few years ago when I was in college. He was putting up the $$$ and I would come home on the weekends and we would work all weekend to get as much done as possible. During the week, he would do the detail work and on the weekends we would put the pieces together. Attached the wings on a long weekend and hung the engine on the weekend my sister graduated high school. ha!

We've been flying it since April 2004. So far, over 500 hrs on the airframe, 200 of which is mine. ;) It's definitely a hoot to fly! Weird coincidence - you can ask Tony about it. We did my IR training in it year before last. ;)

We've been flying it since April 2004. So far, over 500 hrs on the airframe, 200 of which is mine. ;) It's definitely a hoot to fly! Weird coincidence - you can ask Tony about it. We did my IR training in it year before last. ;)

Yep, if I was smart we'd STILL be working on your instrument rating...:)

Trapper,

After you get some "Special High Intensity Training" **** from Tony at Haps, You can fly up to MCW for the "Comprehensive and Rigorous Assessment Program" CRAP from me.

Standing by with the pink slips....

Doug Rozendaal

Just kidding of course

... "Special High Intensity Training" **** from Tony at Haps ...

doug,

I think i need to get new business cards printed up...

are you DPE'ing regularly now? i.e. do I need to start sending my students up to you?

Tony,

Bring'em on, my schedule is a problem sometimes, but if I am around and am happy to work with your suspects.....

If they can take your ****,:hairraise: I'm sure they can handle my Crap....:dunno:

Tailwinds,
Doug

Matt made it through without too many scars...... Of course He had to fight me for the controls, because I wanted to fly his beautiful C-140. (Cessna that is)

yes Matt and I have the same fight over the controls every time I fly with him in the 140. He had a flight of many "firsts" today which is worthy of another thread.

Ive got about 2 or 3 PP-ASEL's coming up this spring. Ill plan on sending them to you.

That would be the 140 with the FLIR night-landing system?

That would be the 140 with the FLIR night-landing system?

I sense there is more to this story? Was our boy Matt out poking around in the dark of night?

I'm not sure who was darker. I was able to see the color of the Cherokee and R in the N-number when he blew past me.

Back