Training from a private runway

kevmor99

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
kevmor99
I have a student looking to obtain their Private Pilot and they have a dirt strip on their property with their own plane. I looked into my NAFI Avemco insurance and it doesn't cover it if it's not designated as an airport. Avemco said it will cover the owner as owned policies don't have this exclusion. I thought maybe I could be added as a named pilot on their policy but they said it wouldn't cover instruction as it's a commercial operation.

I know going to a nearby airport would be a solution but I'm trying to see if this would work somehow. Avemco suggested a waiver maybe? Although I don't know if that would hold up. Anyone know if other cfi policies have this exclusion (EAA)? I could maybe do the takeoff / landing without logging it as dual given and be on their policy but that seems like a grey area. Any other ideas? Thanks

That's pretty weak on the part of the insurance company.

I'd call up air power insurance and look at switching over, if this is going to be his home strip, better to find a more backcountry friendly insurance co.

Avemco seems to be loosing more customers lately,with their raising rates,and tighter rules on coverage.

Talk to TJ

airpowerinsurance.com

Avemco seems to be loosing more customers lately,with their raising rates,and tighter rules on coverage.

Yeah, it's strange. When I last shopped them they had the most comprehensive coverage, but also the highest price. I still went with another company because the price difference was so large. I don't see how they can raise rates and reduce coverage and still remain competitive.

Back