Training for the CFI, a different way??

Myfpilot

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Myfpilot
Hello,

I was hoping I may be able to gain some guidance on my particular situation.

I work for United Airlines doing Pilot Scheduling Operations in Chicago, but will be moving back to San Diego for numerous reasons. My work schedule is built so I have about 5 days on, 1 week off- twice a month, which as an airline employee allows me to commute between the two cities.

I currently have my Commercial- Multi-IFR, but am NOT current. So, needless to say, I will need to get myself up to proficency before tackling the CFI. As well as finish my lesson plans.

For those who have, or currently are. How does this schedule for CFI training sound? The CFI as I understand does not take a lot of flying (when compared to other ratings) and is more knowledge based.

Would anyone say my idea of doing CFI training a few times a month to be practical? Obviously, I'd be studying when not in SAN.

Thanks all for your help!!

Sumner

The real question is when you're going to learn how to teach.

The most important thing to remember about the CFI ticket is that it’s all about teaching, not flying. You will be judged more on your ability to impart learning to your student than on any demonstration of your own pilot skills. The Aviation Instructor's Handbook book is rather dry, and (considering that it’s supposed to be prepared by professionals who really know about teaching) not all that easy to learn from. However, the important data are there, and you’d best learn not only to parrot them, but to understand what they mean and apply them when you teach (and if you don’t recognize these “levels of learning” you’re not ready yet). You will have to be able to read the student’s mind to find out whether he’s really learned the material or not, and if not, WHY not. Then you must be able to figure out how to get past whatever barrier to understanding exists in that student’s mind. You’ll find that there are as many successful techniques as there are students, but there may only be one of those many that works for any one particular student. Being able to hit on one that will work quickly, before the student becomes discouraged, is the toughest part of flight instructing.

How to work through this? Get with some successful teachers, not necessarily pilots. I’m talking about someone you know who’s an experienced high school teacher, one that the kids remember long after graduation as the highlight of their experience. Talk about teaching and learning with this person. You might also consider some basic education courses at the local college.

Back