$$$training costs$$$

Madison

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Full flaps
Hey guys! So I'm looking into a mom and pop flight school called pilot makers up in heber ut. So far I like it better than atp. Zero to commercial is quoted at about 35k...the owner said expect 40-45k. I understand costs are different depending on the needs of the student but Ballpark, I feel like that is pretty reasonable. I will be studying daily and am planning on flying as much as I can and will treat this like my University classes. After it's said and done you will also have your tailwheel endorsement, complete UPRT Training, Complete Spin Training, your High Performance/Complex Endorsement, and be ready for your Mulit-Engine Commercial Add On. Thoughts? Comments? Are they way off on pricing? You will fly a 172, spin and tail wheel in the decathlon, higher ratings in the s Bonanza.

Personally I would wait for one of those advertisements that show up on click bait sights that promises a low cost rating by using their weird trick.

Sounds like an advertisement to me, the last sentence gives it away.

Pretty much verbatim from a paragraph on the website.

Well it does improve site stats by getting people to look at the copy-paste.

The about us page sounds more like a ego boost for Barry and his beloved T6.

Doesn't say much for what I could expect as a 0 time pilot, I mean it's called pilot makers, not T6/Barry groupies, I mean unless Barry is the only CFI and I'll be learning from the ground up and doing my first solo in the t6.

Interesting they advertise 35K then "you" call and the owner says well probably 45K?????

Meh, Amateur.
I spent that much on my private.

Hey guys! So I'm looking into a mom and pop flight school called pilot makers up in heber ut. So far I like it better than atp. Zero to commercial is quoted at about 35k...the owner said expect 40-45k. I understand costs are different depending on the needs of the student but Ballpark, I feel like that is pretty reasonable. I will be studying daily and am planning on flying as much as I can and will treat this like my University classes. After it's said and done you will also have your tailwheel endorsement, complete UPRT Training, Complete Spin Training, your High Performance/Complex Endorsement, and be ready for your Mulit-Engine Commercial Add On. Thoughts? Comments? Are they way off on pricing? You will fly a 172, spin and tail wheel in the decathlon, higher ratings in the s Bonanza.

For $35K you should be able to complete a private SEL, instrument, Commercial SEL, commercial multi add on, and a CFI.

Interesting how he uses the word "you" instead of "I". Looks like a thinly veiled advertisement to me. Does not speak very highly of the company that would employ such tactics.

I've done my flying as inexpensively as I've been able. I'm at about 130 hours with PPL + IR with Complex and High Performance endorsements and so far have spent about $18,000.

Extrapolate your commercial expense from there...

...and how exactly are you going to hour build, and is that included in the price...?

If they only have one airplane expect long delays due to scheduled and unscheduled maintenance.

For $35K you should be able to complete a private SEL, instrument, Commercial SEL, commercial multi add on, and a CFI.

You must live somewhere really cheap to be able to get all that done for 35k.

At $145 an hour for the plane and $55 an hour for an instructor where I am, you could MAYBE get your Commercial SEL with Instrument for 35k, assuming you finished everything in the minimum allowable hours, and that's part 141

At $145 an hour for the plane and $55 an hour for an instructor where I am,

Yeow! Ouch!

I've been an owner for eight years, but during PPL (2006-07) $55 for the 152 and $30 for the CFI (the 152 eventually went to $70 and the CFI $35). Think I was $4,800 in all in for PPL (including headset, GPS, hand held radio, charts, books, fees).

At $145 an hour for the plane and $55 an hour for an instructor where I am,
What aircraft? Around my neck of the woods, a 172SP and instructor is about $150-ish wet.

Yeow! Ouch!

I've been an owner for eight years, but during PPL (2006-07) $55 for the 152 and $30 for the CFI (the 152 eventually went to $70 and the CFI $35). Think I was $4,800 in all in for PPL (including headset, GPS, hand held radio, charts, books, fees).

Wow ..those must have been the days lol my private cost me about 10500 at somewhere around 44 hours when I was ready for the ride, didn't go till I had about 58 though due to multiple cancellations for weather

What aircraft? Around my neck of the woods, a 172SP and instructor is about $150-ish wet.
C172sp ..150 with instructor is insanely cheap, one reason I can't wait to get out of the East Coast, although I cant complain all of my training is covered by the GI Bill

C172sp ..150 with instructor is insanely cheap, one reason I can't wait to get out of the East Coast, although I cant complain all of my training is covered by the GI Bill

Do you even know what you did paid? A private certificate does not qualify for GI Bill. http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/flight_training.asp

They might be a new 172SP, but $140 for an instructor and a 172 is not uncommon.

Last edited:
I guess the US govt website and all the VA students I have had are misinformed.

Yeah, they are would you like to see a screen shot of my bills that have been paid? It doesn't cover private if you aren't in a college program and even some college programs won't do it because it's a lot of extra paperwork

Not sure why you are arguing with me lol maybe you should call the Community College of Baltimore County and ask :)

And just for giggles, and because maybe someone might find it useful, here is a link to the program I'm in, if you scroll to veterans benefits you will see if you have the post 9/11 your aviation lab fees (including private) are covered

http://faculty.ccbcmd.edu/~dwilliams/info_packet.pdf

There are only two schools that I know of, in the many hours I spent researching to figure out how to get the most bang for my buck, that cover everything. Those are Coast Flight Academy in San Diego, and the program I'm in. I'm sure there are more but again, most universities don't want to deal with the extra paperwork that is required to get your private covered, and so they just tell you that you have to pay for it out of pocket. It's actually not true.

Last edited:
Interesting how he uses the word "you" instead of "I". Looks like a thinly veiled advertisement to me. Does not speak very highly of the company that would employ such tactics.
OP hasn't been back. Wonder why.

Yeah, they are would you like to see a screen shot of my bills that have been paid? It doesn't cover private if you aren't in a college program and even some college programs won't do it because it's a lot of extra paperwork

Not sure why you are arguing with me lol maybe you should call the Community College of Baltimore County and ask :)

And just for giggles, and because maybe someone might find it useful, here is a link to the program I'm in, if you scroll to veterans benefits you will see if you have the post 9/11 your aviation lab fees (including private) are covered

http://faculty.ccbcmd.edu/~dwilliams/info_packet.pdf

There are only two schools that I know of, in the many hours I spent researching to figure out how to get the most bang for my buck, that cover everything. Those are Coast Flight Academy in San Diego, and the program I'm in. I'm sure there are more but again, most universities don't want to deal with the extra paperwork that is required to get your private covered, and so they just tell you that you have to pay for it out of pocket. It's actually not true.
My tax dollars well spent- thanks for your service, Ryan!

My tax dollars well spent- thanks for your service, Ryan!

Thank you...I'm sure someone will be along soon to say how it's BS their tax dollars cover someones flight training but, as someone who has worked in government for the last 11 years I can assure them its a drop in the bucket compared to the multitude of other things their tax dollars are REALLY wasted on :)

Back