Training, buying, improving, insuring: questions

Rigged4Flight

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Rigged4Flight
I had a couple of weeks free between jobs earlier last year, and I spent them in NM doing some sport pilot training. I solo'd the last day before starting a new job, and quickly got sucked in to a 12/7 shift with 1-2 month trips to other work sites, etc. Long story short: I've had probably 2 hours of training since last spring and that won't change until this July. :mad2:

Anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed the heck out of the training that I did get. I flew with 3 different instructors, but the bulk of my time was with the same one. (on a related note, I just realized a few days ago that he's on this forum) I definitely did not like the first few stalls, but my instructer eventually got me over that hurdle and the last few weren't so bad. I really like the Remos GX. The place I trained at had two in very good condition. Fun and easy on the budget on an hourly basis. They definitely seem like a "leaf on the wind" compared to the 172 though.

So the more I trained, and the more I thought about training and flying, the more I refined my flying goals. I like the idea of local flights to explore the area. I moved up to the Albuquerque/Santa Fe area recently, and I can't wait to explore it more. I'm also wanting to eventually do some back country camping by plane. Which has me wanting to get into tailwheel training. Which has me obsessing over the dreaded ground loop. Seems even high hour pilots sometimes loop their planes in conditions that would have been non-events if they had been flying tricycle gear. Does anyone have any ground loop experiences to share with a perpetual student?

I'm looking at possibly buying a Kitfox tailwheel. Probably a IV or V model. Does insurance work differently with experimentals? I wouldn't be the builder, and that might impact the cost of insurance ... or not. I know it will impact the cost of maintenance.

I'm not comitted to the Kitfox, but the low cost of caring/maintaining, low gph, and ease of storage with that folding wing definitely has me intrigued. Does anyone have any experience with the Kitfox or other low(er) cost tailwheels?

Does insurance work differently for experimentals? I assume that insurance will be more expensive, no matter what I fly, until I get certified and my hours start to build.

Any comments/suggestions/ridicule/insights that might guide me further along the path to knowledge would be more than welcome.

Don't over think the tailwheel plane. Pilots young and old, low time and high, screw up in all kinds of planes all the time [insert knocking on wood little smilie dude here]. Do your best to be as good as you can be in whatever you fly, especially if it is what you want to fly. Should misfortune befall you, that is what insurance is for.

As for insurance, nothing says you can't start a hypothetical quote beforehand. That is exactly what I did with my broker (NationAir, completely satisfied with them, BTW). I am pretty sure buyer vs. builder does not factor into the cost, and I would guess being a student pilot owner will add a couple hundred to your first year's premium at the hull value you are looking at, but a broker can give you specifics.

If you'd rather have a trigear bush plane, Zenith Air has three different kitplanes available, the CH701, CH750, and CH801. There are enough 701's and 750's around where you should be able to find one without too much looking.

Don't over think the tailwheel plane. Pilots young and old, low time and high, screw up in all kinds of planes all the time [insert knocking on wood little smilie dude here]. Do your best to be as good as you can be in whatever you fly, especially if it is what you want to fly. Should misfortune befall you, that is what insurance is for.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

I have experience with all of your questions. I am a high time tailwheel pilot (over 2000hrs) in many different types. I have only groundlooped once and that was in my SNJ when I had less than 20hrs in it. I landed at Hailey Idaho and the windsock at one end of the runway was a 90 degree crosswind from the left and the sock at the opposite end was 90 degrees from the right at 15-20kts a pretty normal situation at Hailey. I greased it on perfectly and as I rolled out was thinking what a Sh*t hot pilot I was and I pulled the tailwheel lock off at a little higher speed than usual. It swapped ends in an instant and I ended up rolling down the runway backwards. No damage just to the ego. Except for that one instance I have flown safely. All it takes is good training and practice.
I have flown several Kitfoxes and fly a friend's IV with a Rotec radial engine a few times a year. They are nice flying docile airplanes and would be a good choice for a first T/W airplane. The IV and below have a pretty cramped cockpit for over 6 footers. Buy one with a Rotax 912 if you decide on one. The Kitfox VII is a great airplane with a roomy cockpit and baggage compartment. The folding wing is OK if you just need to store it every once in awhile but no something you want to do before and after every flight.
Insurance will depend on hull value and of course your T/W time and time in type. The planes like the Kitfox, RV series, Rans are easy to find insurance for. Oddball and one of types are more difficult and more expensive. A Kitfox with say $35,000 hull will run around $1500 or more the first year and around $1000 after the second year and you get to the 100hr mark. So go for the T/W endorsement. It will make you a much better stick and rudder pilot. Don

Yeah, that's where I'm at now. Bad things happen to good planes all the time - I just need to pick the platform for my mission and learn/train for that aircraft/mission to the best of my abilities. If I'm not up for the aircraft or mission, I'll pull back and re-evaluate if/when I need to.

As for insurance, nothing says you can't start a hypothetical quote beforehand. That is exactly what I did with my broker (NationAir, completely satisfied with them, BTW). I am pretty sure buyer vs. builder does not factor into the cost, and I would guess being a student pilot owner will add a couple hundred to your first year's premium at the hull value you are looking at, but a broker can give you specifics.
Good advice.

If you'd rather have a trigear bush plane, Zenith Air has three different kitplanes available, the CH701, CH750, and CH801. There are enough 701's and 750's around where you should be able to find one without too much looking.
I've been looking at zenith air for decades, and I'm still looking. They captured my imagination a long time ago when Popular Mechanics did a story on completing one of their planes in a month. :yes:

My criteria are a bit flexible, but they all boil down to: good backcountry plane, low gph, ease of storage, two seats, 450-500 lbs of useful load. I'm trying to not make an emotional purchase. Kind of a hard thing when it comes to flying, as the entire concept is an emotional one - as in I'm not doing it for income or utility.

I have experience with all of your questions. I am a high time tailwheel pilot (over 2000hrs) in many different types. I have only groundlooped once and that was in my SNJ when I had less than 20hrs in it. I landed at Hailey Idaho and the windsock at one end of the runway was a 90 degree crosswind from the left and the sock at the opposite end was 90 degrees from the right at 15-20kts a pretty normal situation at Hailey. I greased it on perfectly and as I rolled out was thinking what a Sh*t hot pilot I was and I pulled the tailwheel lock off at a little higher speed than usual. It swapped ends in an instant and I ended up rolling down the runway backwards. No damage just to the ego. Except for that one instance I have flown safely. All it takes is good training and practice.
I have flown several Kitfoxes and fly a friend's IV with a Rotec radial engine a few times a year. They are nice flying docile airplanes and would be a good choice for a first T/W airplane. The IV and below have a pretty cramped cockpit for over 6 footers. Buy one with a Rotax 912 if you decide on one.
Good advice. I was looking at this one, and looked a bit closer after your post: http://www.barnstormers.com/classified_974617_1995+Kitfox+IV+1050.html

Reading more about the Kitfox line, it looks like the Kitfox IV 1050 and below had issues with the vertical fin (stabilizer/rudder?) being too small for the recommended engines. (http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/model iv.htm)

The Kitfox VII is a great airplane with a roomy cockpit and baggage compartment. The folding wing is OK if you just need to store it every once in awhile but no something you want to do before and after every flight.
Yup - folding wing is more for transport, and also storage during the monsoon season.

Insurance will depend on hull value and of course your T/W time and time in type. The planes like the Kitfox, RV series, Rans are easy to find insurance for. Oddball and one of types are more difficult and more expensive. A Kitfox with say $35,000 hull will run around $1500 or more the first year and around $1000 after the second year and you get to the 100hr mark.
Good info!

So go for the T/W endorsement. It will make you a much better stick and rudder pilot. Don
I have heard/read that literally everywhere. Thanks a lot for your post. I was beginning to doubt whether I should head down the TW path or not. It's good to hear from the voice of experience. :yesnod:

I'm building a Zenith 750 for a guy right now. Should be done in a month or so. Has the 130hp UL Power 350i in it so it should be a good performer. They are so ugly the earth repels them though. Don

I'm building a Zenith 750 for a guy right now. Should be done in a month or so. Has the 130hp UL Power 350i in it so it should be a good performer. They are so ugly the earth repels them though. Don
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Gotta agree with you there. But damn if they don't jump up off the ground when you want 'em to. :)

Back