Training (and eventual purchase) advice please....

Volitation

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Volitation
Newish member here, and I'd love to hear the board's opinion on a couple of subjects.

A little background: 57, student pilot, training in 172s. Should solo in the next few weeks, expect to complete PPL in the next few months.

After that, I'm undecided on the next step. I think I'd like to take a break and just go fly for maybe 50 hours before resuming formal training, but the school I'm at has a 182, so going immediately for a complex rating, or instrument rating in the 172, are also options.

I'd like to purchase my own aircraft in the next two years, so the thought of waiting on the instrument and doing it in the plane I'll fly also seems to make sense. And I'd appreciate opinions on possible planes for my mission.

Besides hamburger runs, I'll make 450 mile trips 8 or 10 times a year. Useful load isn't critical, normally just two adults, but the ability to carry 3 200 lb. plus guys and maybe 150 lbs. of gear would be occasionally handy.

The 182 looks like it would certainly do the job, but man, the V35/A36 or SR22 sure have the wow factor. Two years from now, with an acquisition budget of $150,000 and $50,000 for glitches/upgrades after purchase, what would you look at?

I'm member on both the Beech and Cirrus boards, so I'm very curious to hear the pros and cons of all for someone of my limited experience.

I appreciate any thoughts anyone may have, and Merry Christmas to all!

Flying with retractable gear is a big deal. Lots of pilots have forgotten to lower it. Its always on your mind.

If you want to move to worry free, keep it simple. A 182 is a good place to start ownership. Itll do the job.

Flying with retractable gear is a big deal. Lots of pilots have forgotten to lower it. Its always on your mind.

If you want to move to worry free, keep it simple. A 182 is a good place to start ownership. Itll do the job.

It certainly will, and everything you say makes perfect sense.

At my age, the first plane I buy will like lay be the only plane I buy, and the looks of the low wings appeal to me. One of the reasons I'm asking for advice is to help separate the emotional decision making from the logical.

If the school will rent the 182 get checked out in it and use it for a few cross country trips with friends/family before you jump to any conclusions about the type of flying you really enjoy doing, and the right plane to do it in.

The complex rating doesn't take a lot of time and creates a lot of options down the line. I think I'd go for that if you have the time and the funds. The IR is very valuable and makes completing long trips within a reasonably close time to what you planned more likely.

If you get the rating now you'll need additional training in your plane but you're likely to need transition training anyway. You're likely to save some cash in your own plane but given the increased safety an IFR rating brings it is worth the cost if you have the money and time to get it now. Having it also opens more doors when it comes time to buy.

Regardless of what you do with the ratings if you're planning on buying your last plane find a way to take multi-hour trips in as many of the types of planes you are considering as possible. What's comfortable for a hop around the field can become very uncomfortable after several hours. Many participants on the type forums are willing to help out with projects like this, especially if you'll pick up your share of the costs.

I happen to like the view from high wings so I'm probably biased but when thinking about a 'last plane' I think about ease of access in the years to come. Several people I know that had low wings either gave up flying or had to change to a high wing because climbing onto the wing got too hard as they aged. Hopefully that will never be an issue for you. Just something to consider.

Good luck on the hunt

Gary

Theres a club at my home field that has a 172 and a Six. I think it's probably a good option for building 172 time and getting exposure to the Six, thanks!

Back