Trailer rental at OSH? (More or less N/A)

CrashAxe

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Axe
Does anyone have any experience with renting a trailer for OSH?

I am bidding on a travel trailer on eBay right now. It occurred to me last night that if I win the auction, I would literally be driving the trailer home right past Camp Scholler. I could drop the trailer off at OSH and either rent it through a regional RV place that acts as a middleman or try to rent it on my own.

I could title the trailer in an LLC or my own name at this point. In fact, the trailer wouldn't end up being titled until after OSH. I have no idea what commercial liability insurance would run me. I realize that personal RV insurance would not cover a claim arising from renting the trailer out.

My motivation would be purely to have someone else help me pay for the trailer. I can't attend OSH this year anyway, and I was told I could get $1-$2k if I rented the trailer out for the 10 days.

I figure OSH would be one of the few events at which I could rent a trailer out and be reasonably certain of ending up with a trailer that is still in one piece at the end.

I would really like to have someone else help me pay for this trailer. However, I don't want to end up with insane insurance premiums because of an LLC owning the RV (does anyone know if commercial RV policies are a lot more expensive compared to personal, all else being equal?). I also do not want to risk everything I own by having no liability coverage and renting the trailer personally.

Am I nuts for thinking of doing a rental? Is it feasible?

Any and all advice will be gratefully received.

Last edited:
I can tell you rentals at OSH are down this year. I was able last week to get a Holiday Inn room at a reasonable rate....

I can tell you rentals at OSH are down this year. I was able last week to get a Holiday Inn room at a reasonable rate....

How's that work? We called a month ago to get 2011 hotel reservations, and every hotel said they were booked up for the next couple of years. Was this an in-town (Oshkosh) Holiday Inn?

We're just going to fly in and camp, now... that's more fun anyway, right Kent?

Does anyone have any experience with renting a trailer for OSH?
Call some of the RV places around there. They may rent your unit under their policy.

I have a travel trailer being delivered to Sleepy Hollow Farms, rented from Paul's RVs. Here's some of the nearby places:

Right! :yes: Who all's coming?

Being on-site 24/7 is THE way to do Oshkosh. Total immersion. :yes:
We're coming. Camping with MyTransponder. Still trying to figure out how to handle Thursday night , when we have both Banes 'n' Planes dinner and the My Transponder party. Kent, didn't you bail early from Babes 'n' Planes last year to make that party?

How's that work? We called a month ago to get 2011 hotel reservations, and every hotel said they were booked up for the next couple of years. Was this an in-town (Oshkosh) Holiday Inn?

We're just going to fly in and camp, now... that's more fun anyway, right Kent?

Well, cancellations would be coming in right now. That might explain the availability.

Talk to people who rent campers out before doing so. The people I've talked to that have rented their campers out have all said never again. It ranges from experienced rv'ers taking good care of them to seemingly decent responsible people bringing back a broken trailer hitch and little more. A camper is not a house though people treat them as if they are. Broken stuff in a rv ranges from no big deal to horrifically spendy to repair. A cooked water heater is $250-500 and a busted fridge is $1200-2000. Do they have dump capabilities at OSH? Unless you have a bus conversion, monster pusher diesel Class A's or toy hauler, they're going to have to dump at least once if not more in 10 days even if it's just one person using it. Put 2-3 people in and they'll be dumping every other day.

Just a few things to think about...

$1000/week is reasonable however it has to be a nice newer camper in extremely good condition and not an older unit.

IMO, drive on by and go camping that weekend.

Thanks for the info, Dr. Bruce.

The bid went a lot higher than the book value, so it is a moot point now.

Frank, you cured me of my rental fever. Thank you for the lowdown.

Back