Trailer decision time

tonycondon

Gastons CRO (Chief Dinner Reservation Officer)
Display Name

Display name:
Tony
this is going to be cross posted all over the place. My trailer needs attention and I have to decide the best way to approach the problem. After posting this on rec.aviation.soaring i got an offer from a local to buy the trailer to be used for storage only. that could free up some more cash to build/buy a new trailer for my glider. not sure that it would free up enough though. Heres my dillemma:

The trailer for the Cherokee has always been so-so. Its an old
Gehrlein (sp?) that was probably purchased new when the glider was
built in 1965. Its the EXACT same type of trailer that Glub
Djerjinksi used for his Open Cirrus in the Sunship Games. its heavy,
really long, and pretty old. I had the door hinge rebuilt a couple
years ago which caused a smoldering fire in the plywood floorboards.
they werent burnt completely but the inside of them is gone. then the
hitch got jackknifed by someone somehow. The hitch has always been
kind of bogus anyway. a few broken welds and some cracks have never
given me a lot of faith in it.
I loaned it to my college flying club this last weekend to transport
some tables and chairs for their fly in. the hitch had a catastrophic
failure, but held together long enough for them to limp to the
airport. No worries, they didnt destroy my trailer, the glider wasn't
in the trailer when the failure occurred, and now I am forced to
address an issue that i had putting off for too long, definitely a
good thing.

So now the question is what to do? Ive got some money coming in my
tax return and will have a small budget, 1000-1500ish to spend on
getting my car and trailer ready to go for the XC season. Im sorta
hesitant to dump a lot of money into this old trailer, considering
that the rest of the frame is fairly well rusted. I have pretty real
concerns that if I start to fix one thing it will lead to another and
pretty soon I will have essentially done a complete rebuild.

My car is a 1999 Oldsmobile Alero with the V6. Not the worlds best
tow vehicle but it has lugged this monster trailer around the state of
Iowa for the last few years with few complaints.

I would love to see if the Cherokee would fit in a Cobra trailer. I
think it would. That would be riding in style! I can imagine a lot
of ways to rebuild or build from scratch a much better trailer.
Current trailer is too narrow so it also has to be too long, as the
fuselage and wings have to be staggered to fit. tongue weight is not
enough so the thing bounces around a lot during transport. Id love to
have some time with some fabrication tools to develop really good
mounting in there. The list goes on and on.

So the question to POA is: What are my best options? Anyone have any
good ideas on how to build a glider trailer for cheap? I could
probably make a 4 or 5 foot wide and 22 foot long trailer work. I
understand steel prices are pretty high nowdays. Is anyone building
their own trailers anymore or just buying factory built? Thanks!

I am with Chris- it would have to be pretty danged bad to make it where it was not worthwhile to just cut away the frequently-patched metal and fabricate a new hitch support.

Maybe some photos of the parts you believe are or may be too far gone would help...

I am with Chris- it would have to be pretty danged bad to make it where it was not worthwhile to just cut away the frequently-patched metal and fabricate a new hitch support.

Maybe some photos of the parts you believe are or may be too far gone would help...

Agreed. Without really seeing the current state of affair you might get away cheaper with fixing the old one up.

Agreed. Without really seeing the current state of affair you might get away cheaper with fixing the old one up.

I've already done some hot-sticking on the trailer being discussed. It is indeed aged to full maturity. I haven't crawled under it to examine axle connections, etc, but I have pulled it over 6 hrs and you can definitely tell it has been rode hard and put up wet.

My vote, at this point, is to look for a new-to-Tony trailer in much better shape and better suited for his needs, or be willing to spend mucho $$$ in fixing the current trailer to what it needs to be. Either way, I'm afraid this time it won't be a simple fix. :(

yea, i cant really wash the trailer or else the rust will break free and it will fall apart ;)

thanks for the encouraging opinion chris!

How hard would it be to convert an good but older boat trailer to glider ops? Seems the lengths could be just about right and all you would need to do is add the shelter. Boat trailers are very common compared to the specialized one you may be shopping for.

scott - actually, light boat trailers have been used in the past. it would definitely be a custom mod job but could work.

yea, i cant really wash the trailer or else the rust will break free and it will fall apart ;)

thanks for the encouraging opinion chris!

I didn't get a good look under your current trailer and my memory of the whole thing is a bit hazy, but IIRC there's a fair bit of the trailer made of wood and I suspect that building something similar from scratch would involve a lot of detail work that could take a long, long time to complete. That makes me think that just replacing all the metal with new aluminum or steel would be much easier and quicker than putting together a complete trailer.

lance the only thing in my trailer that is wood is about 3 4x8 sheets of plywood. its a steel (iron oxide) frame. Im going to try to get some good pictures of it this week to post here and elsewhere.

lance the only thing in my trailer that is wood is about 3 4x8 sheets of plywood. its a steel (iron oxide) frame. Im going to try to get some good pictures of it this week to post here and elsewhere.

Perhaps I'm remembering Matt's trailer?

probably, matts is solid wood, and custom built.

Tony,
there was a very nice trailer out here in Idaho that I looked at from Barnstormers, the guy only wanted $500. It was well worth it and in great shape. I will look for his contact info to see if he still has it.
Adam

Next option is, I come back for a week of gliding in Iowa and we fab a trailer in the mornings and nights. I may have two boat trailers that could turn into a glider trailer chasis. I do need to clean up my yard a bit in Iowa.

Next option is, I come back for a week of gliding in Iowa and we fab a trailer in the mornings and nights. I may have two boat trailers that could turn into a glider trailer chasis. I do need to clean up my yard a bit in Iowa.

DUDE! I"ve been looking for a cheap boat trailer to modify into a Fly Baby hauler.

I think Tony's trailer is fixable.

MM

Back