traded the private in for a commercial

jesse

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Jesse
I've had a few people bug me to write this...so here it is :)

It was about three weeks ago when I decided to get the commercial pilots certificate. I was looking through the requirements and came to the realization that it wouldn't take much to obtain. At first I thought it'd be cheaper to just travel somewhere and knock it out over a long weekend but I couldn't find any program that sounded reasonable - everyone had a really long syllabus. I finally decided to just do it locally in a Debonair.

A few days worth of studying and the written was taken care of. From there it took a few weeks to get the flying in (about 4 flights in the Debonair) and another week to schedule the checkride. The weather this time of year just doesn't accommodate quick training.

The insurance company won't add me as a named pilot, and the open pilot clause is insane, so I still can't fly it solo. Clay (taters) accompanied me to the checkride in St Joseph. It was good to see that the examiner, Chet Edwards, whom I did my instrument with was still kicking at 89 years old. It turned out that the biggest challenge of the checkride wouldn't be the oral or the flying, it was IACRA. We went through the oral portion which touched a little on CG, required instruments, and some other things. After that we spent a solid two hours trying to get through IACRA which kept blowing up with fatal exceptions. They finally escalated our case up through the chain and we went flying while they tried to figure out what was wrong.

We departed St. Joseph and headed out to the southwest on the cross country, which I had to plan to Amarillo Texas the night before. We went to the first checkpoint, confirmed I was on course, and talked about diversions and started the maneuvers. First up was the lazy eights which went off without a hitch (practiced them on the way there), followed by slow flight, maneuvering in slow flight, power off stalls, power on stalls, and some other stuff I probably forgot. After all that we flew around for a bit looking for pylons and went through that. I thought it looked about perfect, but after the checkride, he said it was my weakest area. Who knows.

We then headed back to St Joseph and I demonstrated various landings and takeoffs followed by the final part of the checkride, the power-off 180. Tower switched me to right traffic when I informed them it would be a short approach, which I really appreciated (not). I pulled the power abeam the desired touchdown point, started my base turn, and dropped the gear. Somehow I misjudged this a bit and realized I was low. I had to really tighten things up and made my base to final turn at a rather low altitude while dropping flaps in ground effect trying to stretch it as far as I could. I got every last bit of energy I could out of the airplane before the wheels kissed down on the runway - it was close enough.

We taxied back, spent another hour or two battling IACRA, and I was a commercial pilot. Time to start studying for the CFI...

Thanks for the write-up- very interesting.

What's IACRA?

The insurance company won't add me as a named pilot, and the open pilot clause is insane, so I still can't fly it solo. Clay (taters) accompanied me to the checkride in St Joseph.

Whose Deb is this and what are their requirements for PIC? Seems like a IR, commercial ASEL, and a few hours in type ought to be enough.

After all that we flew around for a bit looking for pylons and went through that. I thought it looked about perfect, but after the checkride, he said it was my weakest area. Who knows.

Did he say what he didn't like about your pylon 8s? A common error is using the rudder to yaw the airplane so the wing stays pointed at the pylon. Other mistakes (I made them all) are picking pylons too close together so there's no room for a straight segment, not compensating for the wind between the turns, and failing to anticipate the wind's effect during the turns (i.e. getting behind the airplane), and flying too close to the pylons which requires a steeper turn than you're supposed to use.

What's IACRA?

The dysfunctional FAA web application used for you to enter your application and for the DPE to enter his approval.
After my PPL checkride it issued me a temp certificate ATP multiengine seaplane....

Congratulations Jesse, now you can make lots of money flying airplanes, right ;) .

Congrats, Jesse, and welcome to the club!

Whose Deb is this and what are their requirements for PIC? Seems like a IR, commercial ASEL, and a few hours in type ought to be enough.
One of the partners of the business I rent airplanes from owns it. The insurance company wants 750TT, 125 retract, and 25 in type. I have 400TT, 30 retract, and about 10 in the Debonair and 2 in BE36.

Did he say what he didn't like about your pylon 8s? A common error is using the rudder to yaw the airplane so the wing stays pointed at the pylon. Other mistakes (I made them all) are picking pylons too close together so there's no room for a straight segment, not compensating for the wind between the turns, and failing to anticipate the wind's effect during the turns (i.e. getting behind the airplane), and flying too close to the pylons which requires a steeper turn than you're supposed to use.
He didn't say. He generally mails a debrief to the CFI afterwords so we'll see what that says. We were having some communication problems while I was doing them (he messed with the squelch and I didn't notice he had done so). I tried to help him out with it some but by the time he told me he actually was unable to effectively speak to me we were almost done. It's possible that he thought I was using an entirely different pylon then I actually was.

Last edited:
WTG, Jesse!

Did you wear the World's Greatest Pilot shirt to the checkride so he'd know to pass you? ;) :D

Did you wear the World's Greatest Pilot shirt to the checkride so he'd know to pass you? ;) :D
I looked at it in the closet that morning, but finally decided it'd be in my best interest not to wear it.

Jesse, Fantastic!! Congrats!!!! If I knew you were going for the check ride I'd tell you that I have every faith in the world that you would pass!:thumbsup:

Way to go, Jesse! I hope you get rich!:thumbsup:
ApacheBob

I've had a few people bug me to write this...so here it is :)

I didn't pester in the other threads, but I was watching for it too. :) Great story. Congratulations!

The insurance company won't add me as a named pilot, and the open pilot clause is insane, so I still can't fly it solo.

I have to ask: Does this mean that the checkride with the DE was done, basically without insurance?! Surely your DE didn't act as PIC during the checkride to meet the requirements of the open-pilot clause in the insurance?

II have to ask: Does this mean that the checkride with the DE was done, basically without insurance?! Surely your DE didn't act as PIC during the checkride to meet the requirements of the open-pilot clause in the insurance?
DE met open pilot. I still wouldn't have wanted to crash during the checkride.

Congratulations, Jesse! Here's hoping that I follow in your footsteps this next year. I don't want to let another Commercial knowledge exam expire! :no:

Back