Trade your Cirrus for a Brigatine?

Yup, I was going to say, it will cost you another Cirrus to maintain that thing.

Well, Congress is going to start issuing Letters of Marque and Reprisal again, so this is a business opportunity to boot!

Well, Congress is going to start issuing Letters of Marque and Reprisal again, so this is a business opportunity to boot!

and it already has the cannons.

"She is 98' LOA but registered as 47'"

Need to say more?

"She is 98' LOA but registered as 47'"

Need to say more?

Bowsprits and overhangs

Won’t save you from your slip rent though, you’ll pay for every inch of that bowsprit

Tankage is very small, no water maker, overall layout, it’s more of a prop than a sailboat.

Earnest K. Gann owned several sailing vessels over his life, including a brigantine called the Albatros.
gann albatros.JPG
After he sold it, it became a school ship. It was lost in the Gulf of Mexico...depicted in the Jeff Bridges movie, "White Squall".

Ron "Away Rye-oh" Wanttaja

Good luck finding a full crew with the appropriate skill set.

How much crew does it take to start the diesel?

Probably a 2 or maybe 3 real crew, maybe less if you have help at the dock, and 5-10 people to make food, ballon animals, face paint, a guy with a parrot to entertain the guests, and so on.

Crank the diesel up, start the pirate music CD, maybe fly one of the very small for its size sails and go put put around the harbor and back.

How much crew does it take to start the diesel?

Probably a 2 or maybe 3 real crew, maybe less if you have help at the dock, and 5-10 people to make food, ballon animals, face paint, a guy with a parrot to entertain the guests, and so on.

Crank the diesel up, start the pirate music CD, maybe fly one of the very small for its size sails and go put put around the harbor and back.
It has a Cummins. It's going to need the sails. :cool:

This is a small private sailing vessel; don't confuse it with warships like the Constitution or the Niagara. Even whaling ships larger than this one had only ~20 in the crew, and that was mostly to man the boats when whales were sighted.

I've sailed on the brig Lady Washington a couple of times (as a passenger), and see that they list the crew at twelve. They even let me take the helm for a while. They don't set all the sails simultaneously (like a warship). Several crew go aloft, set desired sails, then climb down and repeat on the other mast. With a sudden storm, they can let fly and go up and furl the sails as they can.

Also, the brigatine rig will be relatively easy to handle, especially if one leaves the topsail and the topgallant alone (the Lady, as a brig, had them on both the fore and mainmast). All the fore and aft sails can probably be handled from the deck. I'm guessing for a short sail (literally, setting the sails) one could probably get by with six people.

Where will they come from? They'll be beating down your door, especially if you pay them a bit. Most of the crew of the Lady Washington were volunteers. Geeze, forty years younger and I'd be trying it.

Ron "Cape Cod cats ain't got no tails" Wanttaja

"1/8 gallon per hour" at 8 knots from a 210 hp diesel. o_O really?

Back