Tractor Woes

Ted's getting a new tractor? Gotta be a Lambo.

Lamborghinetta_1959.jpg

Would totally buy a Lamborghini tractor.

When I was ages 9 to 13, we lived on 80 acres. For general purpose use we had an IH 240 with a front end loader, something like this:

331756_opt.jpg

It was used for pretty much everything. I used it starting around age 10, disking the riding ring and using the bucket to carry the manure when cleaning stalls. It had a couple other attachments that I didn't use, like the rotary mower and the scary looking sickle mower, and the manure spreader, I wasn't practiced enough to tow implements. It did everything that we needed. It sounds to me that everything you need could be done with one similar tractor, but none of the ones you have are quite right for it.

When you look at all the things you actually need done with a tractor, is it possible that it's not all that much, and you could hire some of it out? If you're going racing, you need to streamline your life, racing is very time consuming.

When you look at all the things you actually need done with a tractor, is it possible that it's not all that much, and you could hire some of it out?

This is part of what I'm considering. I've really wanted to reduce the tractor fleet overall. I'd also like to reduce the motorcycle fleet somewhat (I've been thinking I'd like to sell the Morini, but given its unusual status it's something that requires the right buyer and the right venue to find that buyer). I probably could figure out how to rent or borrow a tractor to just do the sort of once-a-year brush hogging at this point, and the reality is that's not even required if we manage to keep up on the mowing.

At this point, my inclination is to sell the Massey as-is (seized engine and all), understanding that I won't get much for it. That gets that one gone. The 9N I do want to get back to working properly as if nothing else that would be good for mowing certain areas and is fun to drive for the kids.

@PaulS 's comment early on in the thread about the kids mowing being short lived I agree with to some extent. We'll see what happens as they get older and obviously they will want to start doing their own things, but with three of them there is still some level of child labor that will be expected with household chores. Eventually they'll move out and then at that point it's back to us, of course.

But really, the idea of either renting out/borrowing a tractor for the more significant needs isn't a bad one, or just waiting a few years and then buying something newer/better. Thinning the general fleet isn't a bad choice either.

We decided to consolidate into one tractor to do most of our yard, runway, and homestead work. Found a 3 year old JD 3032R with R4 tires, loader with 6' bucket, and 72" belly mower. I added a 74" rear snowblower. I love it, it does 95% of what we need with no messing around. I'm going to add a box blade and stump grinder this summer, and then we'll really have most stuff covered. It wasn't cheap (more than my airplane , in fact) but I also spend about 2-3 times more hours on it than the plane, so makes sense!

This tractor talk got me motivated to get the garden ready.

Ha! I have that same rototiller! Hoping to get a bunch of things cleaned up this weekend, but forecast isn't great.

Which gas engine in the MF165? I had a TO-30 with the Continental and finally gave up on it. They're not bad, but it just wasn't worth the time for me to fix the darn thing. It needed a head gasket, which I did, but then it turned into probably needing a total rebuild. I'm not sure I'd rebuild a Continental MF165, but it's probably worth rebuilding a Perkins powered one.

What for hitch is on the Farmall H? Any hydraulic pumps at all on it? There are kits out there to put a 3 point on them, if that's a route you'd consider.

I've got 5 sitting in the barn right now, some run, some need work. I honestly should sell a few and move into slightly newer, functional for what I need tractors, but old ones are neat.

Last edited:
I have been looking for a used but good Hoyt-Clagwell tractor...

latest

(I know it is actually a Fordson model tractor...)

I was bush hogging with a 9N when I was about 11 years old. I currently have a 2N. I'd like to have a newer tractor, but the N series seems to do all that I ask of it. From cutting grass, to plowing, moving dirt, grading roads, and pulling engines from cars.

How many of you use your tractor to it's full potential? :D

We've talked through this some, and I think that we are likely going to just go ahead and start thinning the herd of tractors. The current 4 we have is excessive. The Farmall is fun but it's a tractor ride toy, and the kids have outgrown sitting on our laps for tractor rides. The 9N is fun but similarly, it's really a toy more than a tool, and the Massey has the seized engine.

So most likely what I'll end up doing is putting them up for sale in the coming weeks and then start looking around to see what makes the most sense to buy as a replacement. Something newer and diesel.

I recognize that photo. Wile E. Coyote + a Cat bulldozer, some slat armor, a few cans of OD spray paint and I believe a contract from the Israeli housing authority, er I mean military.

The tractor listing and liquidation has begun. Not surprisingly, the Farmall went very quickly. I've got the Massey and 9N listed, as well as some other things (using my broken wrist non-wrenching time to focus on other things that need done).

Once things are sold, I'll reevaluate what to do. But I think the answer is probably borrowing/renting something bigger when I need it (which isn't that often) and getting a new good/heavier duty riding mower over the winter. That ought to do the job for us.

The 9N sold last night - it's very nice to have that part of the shop opened back up since it was taking up space for the two BMWs. And the Massey has had some interest, but it is a legitimately harder sell with the seized engine, and that was known. Hopefully it will find a new home before long.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'd like to sell the Allis Chalmers as well. Call it a selling spree and trying to keep myself busy with this broken wrist, but while that tractor does still overall work fine, it's also not something that I have demonstrated a need for on any kind of regular basis now that we have the major house and shop construction work completed. I'll give some more thought to it, but it might be nice to let that, too, find a better home and stick to some sort of rent/borrow arrangement when I need bigger items.

However, we're still planning on finishing up the runway, and that sort of situation is where the Allis would likely prove useful. So, I'll continue to ponder things while I sell other bits.

The 9N sold last night - it's very nice to have that part of the shop opened back up since it was taking up space for the two BMWs. And the Massey has had some interest, but it is a legitimately harder sell with the seized engine, and that was known. Hopefully it will find a new home before long.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'd like to sell the Allis Chalmers as well. Call it a selling spree and trying to keep myself busy with this broken wrist, but while that tractor does still overall work fine, it's also not something that I have demonstrated a need for on any kind of regular basis now that we have the major house and shop construction work completed. I'll give some more thought to it, but it might be nice to let that, too, find a better home and stick to some sort of rent/borrow arrangement when I need bigger items.

However, we're still planning on finishing up the runway, and that sort of situation is where the Allis would likely prove useful. So, I'll continue to ponder things while I sell other bits.
Just be glad it's a broken wrist and not a broken foot. I was going stir crazy after day 2. Ditched the crutches by day 3. Hobbling on a job site by day 5. If you get some grease on the cast...DO NOT spray it down with brake clean.

Reactions: Ted
Just be glad it's a broken wrist and not a broken foot. I was going stir crazy after day 2. Ditched the crutches by day 3. Hobbling on a job site by day 5. If you get some grease on the cast...DO NOT spray it down with brake clean.

None of these breaks are fun, but I definitely feel like I could've been worse off.

I'm in a splint now which is off most of the day now. Hopefully next week I'm cleared for weight bearing again.

But, I'm making use of the time I'd spend wrenching to do other things that need done. Plus it's 100 degrees out. :)

None of these breaks are fun, but I definitely feel like I could've been worse off.

I'm in a splint now which is off most of the day now. Hopefully next week I'm cleared for weight bearing again.

But, I'm making use of the time I'd spend wrenching to do other things that need done. Plus it's 100 degrees out. :)
Saw where Lawrence got up to 134F heat index yesterday. We might be having some fried Jayhawk!

Saw where Lawrence got up to 134F heat index yesterday. We might be having some fried Jayhawk!

I believe that. We spent all day yesterday in the air conditioning. Even with that, certain parts of the house were clearly warmer from radiant heat. Normally our house is pretty comfortable.

The school has said this week probably won't have any outdoor recess and stick to indoors in the air conditioned gym.

Back