Toys, toys, toys (n/a)

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
You guys remember the house addition I posted about oh-so-long ago? Well, FINALLY it's nearing completion. We have to pour the new driveway and then there's just a little finishing work we're doing ourselves and voila, a new boat garage with an 18x30 room above it. On tap: big screen TV, jukebox, and air hockey table, but we'd like to add a pinball machine or two.

We're planning to get arcade style pinball machines, or maybe a vintage e-game like Galaga or Space Invaders. Anyone have any experience in how reliable these things are?

We're planning to get arcade style pinball machines, or maybe a vintage e-game like Galaga or Space Invaders. Anyone have any experience in how reliable these things are?

Shane understands my passion for flying because he has a passion for pinball. So I've started to be indoctnated in pinball...

From what I know, pinball games take a bit of maintainance but what wouldn't with a big ball bearing running around at high speed bashing into things. Evidently they can be easy to maintain if you are handy but can be expensive if you decided to pay someone else to do it. It depends on what game, how new and how it was previously treated. Shane is currently rebuilding an Adams Family pinball game, it was treated badly but it has a lot of fun play features like a magnate in the center of the board that will throw the ball up when activated. I got to play one at a pinball convention in the spring and a very well maintained one at the city island arcade in Harrisburg.

My suggestion is to go for the pinball, find a good one and figure out how to fix them as they need it. Play a lot of diffrent ones before you make a decision, which can be a challange since they are hard to find. A pinball convention may be the best place to play lots of games. You pay to get in then all the games are set on free play and you can meet people in your area who are intrested in pinball as well.

One of the current production games that I like a lot is the Lord of the rings. Lots of good play and diffrent things going on. I also like the Adams Family and the circus one at the movie theater... (I forget it's real name)

Also, the pinball community seems to be as tight as the flying community. If you want, send me your e-mail addy and I'll pass it on to Shane. He'll have a lot more advice and may know someone in your area that has a collection.

I really don't know much about the e-games but I would think they take less of a beating with normal play but once things break they would be more difficult to fix.

Missa

Last edited:
Back